• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,307 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,307

PreviousChapters Next
Navigators Come In Shades of Grey

“I've been carefully and systematically pouring over every bit of text I have on the Western Seas, the Blighted Shores, and the Fringe Colonies,” Sinrar said, his body hunched over a dusty desk in the dusty corner of his dusty apartment flat. “And I can only come to one single conclusion.”

Rainbow Dash smiled, standing next to Nick and Twilight. “Right.” She nodded. “You'll give us all your maps, Dr. Dude.”

“Enfin!” He spun about, shaking his cane while his muzzle took on a grizzled frown. “Think with your brain and not with your connard, ya selfish harpy!” He took a deep breath, leaning on his cane as he tilted a smiling chin upwards. “Quite simply, if you and your petite étalon plan on making a seafaring trip to the next Seed, then I am going with you.”

Nick winced as if struck with a cannonball.

“Ahem...” Rainbow Dash casually leaned forward. “...what?”

“Has the Blight made you deaf, harpy? I said I'm coming with you!”

“Uhhh...” Nick fidgeted. “I have to echo her sentiment here. Uhhhh... what?

“Zut alors!” Sinrar rolled his yellow eyes and adjusted his grimy bifocals. “It's like pissing into a sponge...”

“I think he's serious, Rainbow Dash,” Twilight whispered.

“I friggin' know he's serious!” Rainbow growled. “Seriously demented!”

“Ohhhhh!” Sinrar folded his forelimbs, leaning back. “So you don't want my expertise in cartography after all? Think you can navigate the bluffs and shoals of this ill-begotten sea by your lonesome? Negotiate with the sporadically-farted natives without causing a Goddess-damned stick war between the archipelagos?”

“I think we can manage, yeah!” Rainbow's voice cracked. “It's hard enough trying to look after ourselves on a boat without croaking to death in the hot sun without having to worry about your wrinkly flank!”

“Rainbow...” Twilight sighed.

“Trimaran,” Nick droned.

Rainbow gave him a double-take. “What was that?”

“Trimaran.”

“What the buck is a Trimaran? Some kind of lemur?”

“It's what I built.”

“I thought you said you built a boat.”

Nick blinked at her. “It is a boat. A type of boat.” He glared Sinrar's way. “A very fast... small boat.”

“So what? Ehhh?” Sinrar shook his cane. “Afraid of sharing the wind with the smell of my insides, ya fruit-scented pansy?!”

“I use gentlecolt conditioner, thank you very much!” Nick grunted, giving his mane a slight fluff. “Besides, you can barely walk out of your house without tripping on weeds and shouting at squirrels. How in the blue Hell are you gonna be of use to us on the high seas?!”

“How the hell are you gonna get by with that bump on your forehead?”

Nick felt his skull. “What bump?” WHACK! “Augh! Dang it!”

“Okay...” Rainbow sighed, waving a hoof. “That's gotta stop...”

“Then show me the respect I deserve!” Sinrar spat, lowering his cane with a frown. “You barge into my home, introduce me to a wild cornucopia of mythological western lore, and then expect me to just hoof over my maps?”

“Do you even have detailed maps of the archipelagos east of here?” Rainbow asked.

“I'm a busy stallion! And my days are full of research and writing and studies—”

“Do you even have detailed maps?!” Rainbow shouted, even causing Nick and Twilight to shiver.

Sinrar bit his lip, fidgeting. “Well...” He avoided the mare's gaze. “No...”

Rainbow tossed her hooves and fluttered around in an angry circle.

“But it's all in here, I assure you!” Sinrar pointed at his skull. “Like a sheet that keeps unfurling! I see sights, hear sounds, smell smells... and it all comes washing over me! Mon dieu! Just seeing the Tower no longer marking the Blight yesterday filled me with youthful vigor! I do not wish to join you on this trip simply to learn... but to live!

“I've given you information... knowledge...!” Rainbow Dash faced him, frowning. “The whole friggin' history of Equestria! Val Roa! Ledomare!”

“Pfft! You've only given me notes so far, harpy!”

“Point is...” She flew into his face, teeth gritting. “I thought we already had an exchange! Why do you have to be so stubborn about this?”

“I could ask the same of you, mon petite cheval.” Sinrar smirked. “There is more to you than you're willing to tell us... more than you're even willing to share with Princess Luna, I think.”

Rainbow Dash flew backwards. Her nostrils flared, but she said nothing.

Nick glanced curiously at her.

As did Twilight.

“Being old does not mean stacking up years and filth, Harpy.” Sinrar shook his head as his voice took on a firm tone. “Non... I have experience that neither of you can even begin to grasp. If you wish to get to your destination, then you need to do so safely. And if you wish to do so safely, then you'll need me. It's as simple as that.”

“We weren't kidding, old stallion,” Nick said, glancing up at the former Professor. “This sounds like a wild ride. Even for me.”

“It's just to the First Seed,” Rainbow said. “No further.”

Sinrar squinted at her. “Are you so sure of that?”

Rainbow glared his way. “The point I'm trying to make, Dr. Dude, is that—even as short as a trip it may be—there's no telling what sort of damage it could do to you. This isn't exactly my first rodeo. I don't care how nicely you all paint Kihutaja, Rohbredden, and all the other mounds of dirt floating across this ocean. Adventuring isn't easy. There's bound to be a lot of death and chaos involved.”

“Wait... th-there is?” Nick squeaked.

Rainbow waved him off, staring Sinrar's way. “I dig the fact that you wanna... y'know... live again... but wouldn't golf or shuttlecock do? This isn't exactly going to be a walk in the park.”

Nick bit his lip, then glanced at Sinrar.

“I've been holed up in this miserable Academy for a long time, harpy.” He leaned back against his desk, huffing. “I'm sick of walks in the park. Either you take me with you, or you're on your own... in the dark.” He spat. “I doubt you'll do much with your 'journey' for even a day without me.”

A long bit of silence ensued.

Rainbow Dash hovered close to the ceiling. With a sigh, she pivoted around, facing the shadows.

Twilight took this as her cue to float up and drift near her. “Rainbow, he's offering his help. He's being very generous.”

“Yeah, well...” Rainbow muttered aside. “Skunks can be generous.”

“Uhm... how?”

“By dying.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Rainbow...” She spoke quietly. “...remember when Rarity made us her beautiful dresses for the Gala?”

“Ahhhh jeez...” Rainbow grumbled. “Are we really going here?”

Twilight continued: “I learned a lot from that. I even wrote to Celestia that it's best not to look a gift horse in the mouth. Literally.” She smiled. “He can help us. Same with your handsome friend here.”

Rainbow raised an eyebrow. “Handsome?”

“They've shown immense faith in you. Can't you show the same in them?”

“Twilight, I just came out of leading a rag-tag band of adventurers,” Rainbow said. “And... to be perfectly honest...” She gulped. “I-I don't think I'm... r-ready to go through something like that again.” She exhaled. “Especially now that I've got you and... the other girls to worry about.”

“Then don't think of it like that.” Twilight smiled. “Just... take it easy... one day at a time...”

“Unnnghhhh...”

“Are you...” Sinrar squinted. “...quite done talking to the shadows, mademoiselle?”

“Heh...” Nick chuckled nervously. “I-I'm not freaked out if Dr. Dude's not freaked out!” THWACK! “Augh!” He rubbed his head right above his horn. “How come she gets to say it and I don't?!”

Fwooosh! Rainbow touched down between them. “Because I'm awesome.” She turned to look at the old stallion. “Okay, ya old coot. It's a deal.”

“Génial!” Sinrar smiled wide, the wrinkles briefly disappearing from his muzzle. “When do we set off?”

“Well...” Rainbow gestured aside. “We gotta get to Nick's boat first.”

“And where is that? Hmmm? Outside the Academy?”

“No.” Nick shook his head. “It's harbored at East Kihutaja.”

Sinrar recoiled so hard his beret fell off. “Are you serious?!”

“'Fraid so.”

“I am not walking that far! Out of the question!”

“Well then...” Rainbow smiled. “So much for our voyage, huh?”

“Bite your tongue!” Zinrar swept his beret back up with the tip of his cane. “You're getting me there one way or another!”

“Uhm...” Rainbow squinted. “What do you have in mind?”


“Faster! Faster, you stupid meatjobs!” Sinrar thwacked the ponies' flanks and leaned back in his wagon seat. “Salt air and blue skies await! Hah hah hah!” He laughed triumphantly.

Nick huffed and puffed, galloping quickly alongside Rainbow Dash as the two pulled the carriage eastward. “Somehow... I-I didn't think this was what we had in store!”

“Suck it up, pal,” Rainbow exclaimed, wings flexing as she pulled the bulk of the weight. Together, the two young equines drew Sinrar across the westernmost bridge connecting the K.M.C.A. behind them to the heart of the Archipelago. “If you wanna get places, you gotta flex your muscle a bit.”

“But... I-I didn't sign up... for a voyage!” Nick wheezed. “You enlisted me!”

“Would you rather sit on your flank for several months while the mares around you get older?”

“You know what... I'll pull for a while,” Nick panted through a sweaty smile. “How about you relax?”

“You kidding? I haven't relaxed since the Blight disappeared,” Rainbow said.

Just then, Twilight drifted lazily beside her. “I, for one, am enjoying the cool breeze!”

“Don't you friggin' start,” Rainbow grumbled aside.

The phantom unicorn giggled, and soon the group was spanning the rest of the ancient bridge.

PreviousChapters Next