• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,298 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,298

PreviousChapters Next
Take a Picture; It'll Last Longer

Half of Theanim Mane's photographs displayed the same thing: a bright glowing symbol that was etched into an otherwise unblemished gold surface. Rainbow realized that the shiny metal belonged to a door situated deep down in the machine world beneath Nealend's Lagoon. The symbol, however, was something Rainbow Dash hadn't seen up until that point, although the simplicity of it certainly matched the styles that she had observed in Eljunbyro, Odrsjot, and Urohringr.

Six small circles were grouped diagonally together, courtesy of a curved and wavering line that ascended to the top left of the emblem's frame. Or—perhaps—the line was descending so that it culminated in the bottomrightmost circle. Rainbow realized that—without any sort of reference—there was no true way of telling what was up or what was down in the picture.

“Is this it, Rainbow?” Twilight asked, her eyes sparkling with curious enthusiasm. “Is this one of the symbols that were left for you? Like Austraeoh, Eljunbyro, and the others?”

“I beg your pardon?” Rarity looked over Rainbow's mane. “Ostrich Ho? Elephant what?

“It certainly holds up,” Rainbow muttered.

“Holds up?” Theanim Mane leaned forward atop the Midnight Dreary's deck. “How means you?”

“Six circles for Six Seeds,” Twilight murmured aloud. “Surely, that can't be a coincidence.”

“Let's not jump to conclusions, Twilight,” Rainbow muttered. “Innavedr has a whole bunch of crazy crap going on in its symbol, but it wasn't important for me to count each friggin' line.”

“I do hope somepony is going to fill me in on all of this darkly diving gibberish,” Rarity grumbled.

“Look, Rarity, relax,” Rainbow droned. “I'm trying to catch my bearings here—”

“'Rarity?!'” Theanim Mane bore a dumb smile. “So there is a second one?!”

All three mares tilted their heads up, reflecting his face with wide eyes. “Uhhhhhhm...”

“Yes... yes... but of course!” Theanim Mane pointed at the photographs. “That would explain it!”

“Explain what?” Rainbow remarked.

“I know you can't quite tell from the photographs there, but when we first stumbled upon the door in that submerged metal chamber, two of the circles were glowing.” The scientist smirked. “The bottom right one and the next immediate circle to the top-left of it.” He pointed again. “The bottom circle was glowing blue while its neighbor had a glow that resembled... pink... fuchsia...”

“... … ...lavender?” Rainbow thought aloud.

“Ah! Yes!” Theanim chuckled. “Do forgive me. I fail at times when it comes to labeling colors appropriately.”

“Alas, there's a criminal on every ocean,” Rarity slurred. Twilight giggled.

“But then!” Theanim's blue eyes continued to shimmer with zeal. “The moment you re-emerged from the chamber beyond the door, having come into contact with the red flame, the very next circle began glowing!” The stallion pointed at the third shape from the bottom of the photo. “And this was a very bright white light! Like Verlaxion's glorious frost!”

Rainbow glanced over her shoulder at a blinking fashionista. “You don't say...” she exhaled.

“It's one thing to realize that this strange underground place reacted to you in some way, Miss Dash,” Theanim said. “But it would appear as though the mysterious environment has re-molded itself as a result of your presence. You've left a permanent mark on this ancient landscape.” His eyes darted up, reflecting the tower above the Nealend jungle. “In more ways than one.”

“He's right, Rainbow Dash,” Twilight said.

“It's no major news to me, Twilight,” Rainbow said. “I just... didn't expect to run into this sort of crud again so soon.”

“There has to be some sort of connection between our current situation and the symbol we're running into just now!” Twilight exclaimed. “I mean, Yaerfaerda had six circles, right? And the moment you started seeing that was when you were inexorably drawn towards releasing me, Rarity, and the others!”

“Uhhhh...”

“What was it you said that the bodiless voice declared? From your vision?” Twilight tapped her chin in thought. “Something about 'seeking purpose from within' or something? Well, maybe it meant inside you. Meaning inside the Element of Loyalty! The Loyalty Pendant, Rainbow!” She grinned wide. “Your ties to Harmony!”

“Now you're just reaching, egghead.”

“But I'm onto something, aren't I?”

“I truly wish I was,” Rarity muttered. “Doctor Handsome here isn't the only one dying of curiosity.”

“Rarity, for the last time, stop calling him handsome—” Rainbow's eyes bugged. With folded ears, she nervously glanced across the yacht.

Theanim Mane stared at her, an eyebrow arched.

Rainbow cleared her throat, then cleared it again. “Look... this... this is some snazzy snapshots you've taken, Doc. Forgive me if... uhhhh... if I don't quite have the answers to this.”

“I can see that,” Theanim said with a nod. “For surely you are searching. There is yet a great deal left for you to learn and discover. I think we can both relate on that.”

“Yyyyyyyeahhhhh...”

“But I suspect that there is a great deal you can teach me,” he said with a calm smile. “Especially in regards to these terms: 'Innavedr'... 'Twilight'... 'Rarity.'” He cocked his head to the side. “Am I to understand that some entities possess... more palpable essences than the others?”

“Heeeee!” Rarity fanned herself with overabundant gusto. “He called me 'palpable!' That's my first compliment since I hatched from Rainbow's ghost egg!”

“It's not a ghost egg!” Rainbow growled over her shoulder.

“Heeheehee!” Twilight clutched her tummy. “Oh Rarity... I'm so very glad you're back.”

“Ughhhh...” Rainbow Dash hung her head, then glanced Theanim's way. “Okay. I know I must seem pretty messed up on the surface right now.”

“On the surface.” Theanim nodded, smirking.

But... if you have questions... then it's only fair that I have answers,” Rainbow said.

“Splendid.” He reached a hoof out so she could shake it. “Consider it payment for the passage. I'm dying to know all about your journey as a whole.”

“You sure about that...?” Rainbow squinted as they shook hooves. “I've told you some pretty radical stuff already. Stuff that kinda spits in the eye of Verlaxion. You're a smart dude and all, but I dunno if even you are ready for Mind Blown City.”

“I suspect the muscle between my ears could use some much-needed exercise,” Theanim said. “In all honesty, Miss Dash, I simply couldn't live with myself if I departed from this Atoll without knowing more about what makes you—and that underground world—tick.”

“He speaks for me as well,” Rarity said.

“I'll tell you, Rarity,” Rainbow groaned. She flinched and faced Theanim again. “I'll tell you, Doc.” She rolled her eyes. “I'll tell everypony, okay? It's just... I-I kinda have to get to this place now...”

“Shoggoth, yes?” Theanim tilted his head aside. “That's what Sinar mentioned. I suppose it's only fitting to get a confirmation straight from your own muzzle.”

“Right.” Rainbow nodded. “There's... something very important in that place.” She gulped. “I hear it's situated deep beneath the ocean.”

“Indeed,” Theanim said with a nod. “A major trading hub for both earth and water equines. Access to Lower Shoggoth isn't all that difficult. After all, the locals there are rather amicable... if not a bit greedy.”

“Greedy?” Rarity blinked.

“Erm... how so?” Rainbow asked.

“Getting to the city is not about possessing submersibles or gills,” Theanim said, smiling. “It's all about having the right amount of coin.”

“Ah jeez...” Rainbow groaned. “That's the one darn thing I don't have a whole lot of.” Her eyes twitched. “Don't... don't tell me you're thinking of... of paying our way—”

Theanim chuckled. “I may be a scientist first, Miss Dash, but being raised along the bluffs of Rohbredden have taught me a thing or two about being thrifty. I'm certainly not about to spend my entire fortune on an exciting albeit foolhardy sojourn.”

“Gotcha.” Rainbow nodded, exhaling. “So... like... how am I... or we going to find a way into the place?”

“Hmmmm...” Theanim paced along the Midnight Dreary's blue deck. “... … ...” He blinked, and his eyes brightened once more. “Echo. But of course!

“Echo?” Twilight's lavender muzzle scrunched.

“What... is that a place or...?” Rainbow began.

“An old companion of mine, actually,” Theanim said. “It's not his real name, of course. But the stallion does have connections in the oceanic trading syndicates. Many connections. A job like that benefits from a certain degree of anonymity.”

“Sure. I'll buy that.”

“I've bailed him out of a few situations back in the day,” Theanim said with a reminiscing smile. “Why, just about three years ago, Echo was captured by a group of superstitious islanders on his way to a trade meeting. Utilizing a hoofful of pyrotechnics, I managed to scare his captors away before ferrying him to safety. He said he's owed me ever since.” He sighed pleasantly. “Perhaps now is a good time to collect on that.”

“He can get us into Shoggoth?”

“Echo's been down there quite a few times,” Theanim said. “A stallion of his trade pretty much has to. After all, if you don't show personal patronage to Princess Camellia, then you aren't getting anywhere on these waves.”

“Ohhhh... a Princess,” Rarity cooed. “This already sounds delightful!”

“Easy, mare,” Twilight droned.

“So... uhm...” Rainbow blinked aside. “I'm guessing we've gotta find this dude?”

“A detour, I'm afraid, is inevitable,” Theanim said. He trotted across the deck, picking up his photographs. “But fear not. If I know Echo, he's bound to be holed up in the port city of Rust.”

“Rust?”

“It's a long trip from here, but not too terribly far from Upper Shoggoth,” Theanim explained, picking up the sheets. “We find Echo, and then we've got free passage into the affluent Muddredgers' City. I can absolutely guarantee it.”

“Well then...” Rainbow smiled, picking up the last photo and hoofing it towards Theanim. “I guess the cruise line is a go.”

“Most definitely,” Theanim said. “I simply need to put the finishing touches on the Dreary, and I suspect you have your things to pack.”

Rainbow shook the weight of her saddlebag. “This is it.”

“That's all you possess?”

“Yuppers.”

Theanim exhaled, shuffling the photographs in his hooves. “You weren't joking when you said you weren't exactly rich.” He glanced at the top photo, then smiled. “I don't know about you, but I'm simply bubbling inside with anticipation. I have to know if more of the seven circles are capable of glowing.”

“Huh?” Rainbow blinked. “Seven?”

Rarity and Twilight looked similarly confused.

Theanim glanced aside. “Why, yes. Of course.”

Rainbow simply gaped at him.

He turned and pointed at the photo. “The six small circles and the line are framed by a seventh. Do you not see?”

Rainbow grasped the top photo and took another look at it. Rarity and Twilight exchanged blank expressions.

“Well then...” Theanim stifled a chuckle as he trotted down into the cabin. “...good thing I'm the photographer. Not being blind is the most proper prerequisite, yes?”

PreviousChapters Next