• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,304 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,304

PreviousChapters Next
Stop Worrying and Love the Dash

“Arrrrgh!” Rainbow Dash tugged at her mane, pacing wildly in the morning light. “For real, where is that purple-eyed boy scout?!”

“It beats me, harpy,” Sinrar remarked from where he stood along the western shore. “And it beats me why you're getting so worked up about him.”

“Because I need him to pilot this thing!” Rainbow pointed at the Swan Song. “Nick's the best at trimaraning the trimaran, after all.”

“Does anypony remember seeing where he went off to?” Theanim Mane asked, trotting up towards that particular patch of sand. “Or, better yet, does anypony remember who he went off with?”

“Well, I saw him trouncing off after the bonfire with that buzzed swimming mademoiselle, but...” Sinrar blinked, then smirked wryly. “Naaaaaaaaaah.”

“I've got an even better question.” Theanim squinted Rainbow's way. “Why do you need this boat so badly? If you want to go hunting again, you'll have to wait a few more hours. The Nealenders are late sleepers.”

“I don't need them for this,” Rainbow said. “As a matter of fact, I've never needed them.”

“What...” Theanim leaned his head aside. “How... could you possibly think that?”

“I've been going about this whole thing the wrong way,” Rainbow said. She exchanged glances with Twilight as she continued. “Hunting and stabbing Ultimo only angers him. In his current state, it's precisely the kind of thing he probably wants from us.”

“You make that sound like the beast has some sort of vendetta.”

“Maybe. But...” Rainbow grinned wide, eyes twitching. “If I just fish him out, then things will go differently!”

“What?!” Theanim grimaced heavily. “What's the difference?! Fishing?! Hunting?! You're going after the same darn eel!”

“Oh, this is gonna be different!” Rainbow winked. “Trust me.”

“But you're not making any sense!”

“That's precisely what I thought,” Sinrar grumbled.

Theanim frowned at him. “And you were okay with this?!”

“I'm not not okay with this.”

“Grrrrr...” Theanim folded his forelimbs. “Will somepony at least try to think before they talk?”

“Face it, monsieur,” Sinar said. “This atoll is infectious.”

“That's no excuse!”

Before anypony else could retort, a rustling sound came from the treeline. Everyone turned to see Nick shuffling and shambling towards the shore.

“Hey! Kiddo! There you are!” Rainbow grinned wide. She flew forwards. “Great to see you're awake! I really really really need you to help us with your—” She froze in place.

Twilight gasped, holding a pair of hooves over her muzzle.

Theanim and Sinrar craned their necks to see.

Nick grinned... and grinned and grinned some more. He teetered slightly in his trot, and the tropical sun brought out the purple color in his eyes. This may have been mostly due to the fact that his mane wasn't absorbing any of the light around his face. More precisely, there wasn't any mane to see, for there was no mane at all. The young stallion sported a shaved head, and his tail had been reduced to a hairless stub. When he breathed, it was with musical sighs, and he took his sweet time savoring the squishy texture of the sand beneath every hoofstep.

Eventually, he made his way past Sinrar, and he gave the professor a nigh-effeminate nuzzle. “Hmmmm-hiiiiiii old stallion.” Sinrar shuddered, and Nick made a bee-line for the Swan Song. When he reached it, he spread both forelimbs and nuzzled-nuzzled-nuzzled the polished aluminum hull. “Heeeeeeee... I lovvvvvve you, ship. I love everything.” He turned and gazed up at Rainbow Dash with glazed eyes. “Your mane is so cool.” A giggle. “It has colors.”

“Verlaxion's sleet...” Theanim Mane stammered.

“Snkkkt—hehehe!” Twilight burst, gazing aside at Rainbow Dash with a dumb grin.

“Yeesh, Nick.” Rainbow shook her head, smiling. “Y'know, there's 'going native,' but then there's grabbing some surveying equipment, marking off a square patch of earth, and laying down a Celestia-dang concrete foundation!”

“Hmmmm... foundation...” Nick slicked back a mane that wasn't there. “If I had known that big, strong, athletic mares had such fuzzy-comfy bellies to sleep on, I would have much sooner... sooner...” He gazed out at the ocean and cooed. “Heee... dolphins....”

“Merde!” Sinrar smirked up at Rainbow. “I'd hit him with a cane if only he hadn't been doing the same thing all night!”

“At least tell us that you elected to remove the hair yourself,” Theanim wheezed.

“Hmmm?” Nick glanced over, blinking. “Oh, yes.” He bore a calm, calm smile. “Felt right at the time. Although, if I hadn't, there wouldn't be much of a mane left. Just a raggedy set of threads. Flare's a fine mare, but she has a habit of... biting onto stuff. Still, she didn't want to hurt me, really.” He sighed dreamily, slouching against the Swan Song. “She's so thoughtfulllll...”

Fwoooosh! “Well!” Rainbow Dash hovered in front of him. “Since you're so... uhhh... jazzed, would you kindly pilot the Swan Song for me on a fishing adventure to end all fishing adventures?”

The maneless stallion blinked. “You mean... Ultimo?”

“I mean Ultimo, kid,” Rainbow said. “So long as you're okay to go.”

“Hmmmmm...” Nick leaned forward and hugged her. “I would follow you to the ends of the earth, Rainbow...” He squinted one purple eye open. “So long as I get to hang out with Flare three times a day.”

“Wuh oh.” Sinrar smirked. “He's laid anchor!” He winked aside at Theanim. “Among other things.”

“Ugh.” Theanim rolled his blue eyes.

“Well, let's just get this over with, and then you can plan your nutty Nealend nuptials or whatever!” Rainbow Dash hovered up. “Sound good?”

“Aye!” Cracking his neck joints, Nick rushed towards the ship and began shoving it into the surf with an inexplicable show of masculine strength. “Let's do this! Rrrrgh!

“Whew!” Sinrar trotted in to assist. “There's his on button!”

“You in, Dr. Dude?” Rainbow called across the shore. “This'll be your last chance to play Ponyrazzi!”

“Ugh!” Nick grunted amidst his trimaran-shoving. “Worst ever...”

“Wait... just wait for one second!” Theanim gnashed his teeth. “You seriously wish to bait Ultimo?! This early in the day?! Without the locals?!”

“Yup. Yup. And yup!” Rainbow grinned. “Cool, isn't it?”

“But with fewer numbers and a single ship, I... it... that...” Theanim stamped his hoof. “Just stop and think, Rainbow Dash!”

“Can't! Time's up! Gotta do!

“Unacceptable!” Theanim snarled. “For the love of Verlaxion, surely there's a self-preserving part of you that stands to be reasonable!”

“This has nothing to do with being reasonable!” Rainbow's voice cracked.

“Or intellectual!” Twilight stuck her tongue out.

“Or intellectual!” Rainbow winked. “It's stupid!” She rushed over to help Nick. “And that's how I know it'll work!”

Grrrrrrrrrr!” Theanim's brown coat turned red. “Do you even hear yourself?! Does anypony even hear themselves anymore?!”

“Hey...” Sinrar trotted past him, patting the photographer's shoulder. “Stop being so antsy.” He winked. “It's big friggin' fish fishing time.” He adjusted his beret and rejoined the others in casting the ship off. “You in or not?”

Theanim gave a long sigh. “Words words words words words words...” He slid his goggles down over his eyes and trudged into the low surf. “In or out? Hrmmff... I suppose I'm a little bit of both.”

“That makes no sense.”

“Exactly.” He hopped on board with a grunt. “Let's take down the damned sea serpent already.”


A half-hour later, a smattering of Nealenders collected along the western shore of the southmost land strip.

Flare and a few others were already seated in the sand, staring out at the glittery speck of the Swan Song in the distance.

Kaji trotted up, stifling a yawn with a swath of wingfeathers. “Eyeeeeughh... nyup... nyup...” He narrowed his eyes. “What's this? A new arrival?”

“No.” Flare shook her head. “A departure.”

“A departure?!” Kaji cocked his head aside. “Who?!”

“The Swan Song,” Flare said. “Rainbow Dash and my beau are out to bait Ultimo on their own, it seems.”

“Ah hah!” Kaji grinned. “Then we should let them draw blood on their lonesome—” He did a double-take. “Wait... your beau?”

“Hmmmmm...” Flare's wingtips fluttered as a warm grin crossed her muzzle. “Whoop.”

“You... you've melted, sister?”

She slowly shook her head with a deliciously dazed expression. “A glacier never melts three times in one night.”

“Oh?” Kaji blinked. “Ohhhhhh.” He blinked again. “Oh... well now we know Ultimo doesn't stand a chance.”

“Hmmm?”

Kaji sat down beside her with a smirk. “Have you ever seen a shark swallow a harpoon and live?

“Heeheeheehee... Nope!” Flare held her two hooves on either side of her muzzle and bellowed: “Verlaxion's speed to you, my handsome! Go forth and gut the turgid sea demon!”


From a distance, Nick heard Flare's shouting voice. He spun around from where he gripped the Swan Song's mast and waved, smiling. “Yeah! We'll do that, sweet cheeks!”

Twilight looked curiously at Rainbow. “What'd she say? She's too far away for me to hear.”

“Something with the word 'turgid' in it,” Rainbow said, fiddling with a length of rope.

“First time in three decades that I heard that word,” Sinrar said, his ears folded back.

“Eeugh...” Theanim nearly dropped his camera. “Can we please get on with this?”

“I'm with the professor for once,” Sinrar rasped, clinging to the center deck of the rocking trimaran. “Just what is the next step?”

“Right.” Rainbow Dash finished tying a loop of rope around her chest. She yanked the thing tight and tugged at the other end, making sure it was fastened securely to the ship's stern. “Nick, when I give you the signal, I want you to pivot the ship southeast and start sailing in a counter-clockwise fashion around the Atoll. Ultimo seems to like going in that direction, from what I've observed.”

“She's right,” Theanim said with a nod. “He does. Although I fail to see how that's exactly beneficial to our situation.”

“In a little bit, we'll all see,” Rainbow said. “Nick?”

“I copy,” Nick replied, pivoting the sail so that the trimaran pointed south. “But... where will you be?”

“The only place bait is supposed to be.”

“Wait.” The young stallion gawked at her, purple eyes bright. “Are you...” His gaze traced the rope attached to the hull. “...are you gonna do what I think you're gonna do?”

“After last night, I'm surprised you can think of anything,” Rainbow said, giving the rope another tug. “Wish I had that excuse.” She looked at Theanim. “You want something to share with the Order when you get back?”

“Don't you mean if I get back?” Theanim remarked.

“Figured you of all stallions would have a little faith.” Rainbow winked. “Don't worry. I've done this before.”

“Really?” Sinrar asked.

“Nope!” SPLASH! Rainbow plunged into the waters behind the ship. While the three stallions gawked, she floated in the Swan Song's wake, allowing more and more distance to spread between them. “Let it give slack all the way!” she sputtered. “Keep the ship moving! Move counter-clockwise around the islands! And whatever you do!” She raised a hoof out of the water, pointing and frowning. “No matter how crazy things get, do not stop until I'm back with the piece of the Shard!”

“But Rainbow!” Nick exclaimed. “That piece is in... in...”

“Promise me!”

Nick looked worriedly at Sinrar. Eventually, he nodded. “Right... just... come back with the shard piece.”

“Thatta boy. Don't worry.” Once the rope stretched all the way, Rainbow spread one wing, then the next, causing her body to drift left and right in the Swan Song's wake. “We'll get you back to your special somepony in time for lunch... or supper by the very least.”

Nick obediently sped the ship along a southeast path, sailing it around the southern landstrip and banking east. In the meantime, his eyes remained locked on Rainbow Dash. The mare kept swishing and drifting back and forth, leaving her own watery trail in the sea. All was silent on board the Swan Song, until Sinrar looked Theanim's way and spoke:

“You gonna take snapshots or what?”

“Indeed, I plan to.” Theanim gulped, struggling to hold the camera steady. “I'm just not entirely sure I will enjoy what I capture.” He nevertheless raised the instrument and took aim.


The Atoll's southern landstrip was full of chatter. Half of the archipelago's population had gathered along the beach, and as the Swan Song made its way east, the Nealenders collectively trotted along the shore to keep up. Soon the beach was covered all over in hoofprints. The local pegasi had to take wing, with a noticeably worried Flare ascending above the rest. Even the Continentalists had emerged from their shelter to peek out from the dense treeline's foliage.

“What do you suppose they are doing?” a foreign mare remarked.

“Verlaxion only knows,” said a stallion. “I... I think Dr. Mane is with them.”

“Theanim?! Blessed frost! Does he even know what he's getting himself into?”

“Wait... do you see something?” said another mare.

“What? Where?”

She pointed at the oceanic vanishing point. “There... the waves... do they appear to be increasing?”

“Good Goddess...”

A collective gasp rose amidst the crowd.


Rainbow Dash was thoroughly doused. Regardless, she kept her cool, calmly lifting her head above the waves as she waded back and forth. Her mane was sopping wet, and her soaked tail occasionally flicked above the watery surface as she strove to make as much movement as possible while the Swan Song dragged her.

“I... I don't know if this is working, Rainbow Dash,” Twilight remarked, trailing after the corporeal pegasus. “I mean... I-I was enthusiastic about the endeavor before and all, but... but so far this isn't producing any results.”

“Shhhh...” Rainbow breathed and sputtered, swishing continually left and right. “Just gotta be a little more patient, egghead.”

Twilight managed a nervous smile. “You teaching me to be patient? Now there's a turn if I ever heard—”

“Shhh... wait!” Rainbow turned her head and looked over her shoulder. “Do you hear that?”

“It's just waves, Rainbow.”

“Yeah, only it's a bunch more waves!”

Twilight narrowed her gaze, looking northwest. Sure enough, the ocean swelled dramatically. A dark shape was lurching towards them, faster and faster. “Celestia...”

“Rainbow!” Nick hollered from the Swan Song far ahead. “Behind you! It's—”

Keep sailing!” Rainbow Dash raised a hoof to her pendant. “Twilight? I'm gonna need you now more than ever.”

“It's coming in fast,” Twilight said. She gulped. “It's barely moving its fins. It's like... I sense a great deal of calm about the beast.”

“Good.” Rainbow Dash exhaled, rubbing circles across the Element of Loyalty. “We're gonna catch it off guard.”

“With what?”

“With me. What else.”

“Rainbow—” Twilight was about to speak, but suddenly she gasped. “It's diving!”

“Hmmm?” Rainbow looked behind her. Sure enough, the swells had vanished. The ocean looked clear.

“Ultimo!” Theanim shouted from the Swan Song. “He's gone under!”

“No...” Twilight shook her head, staring into nothing. Her horn flickered. “He's not gone. I feel him shifting about... slicing across the leylines... and...” Her pupils shrank, and she gaped at Rainbow. “He's rising! Coming up fast! Straight for us! For you!

“Uh huh...” At last, Rainbow's ruby pendant glowed a bright crimson. “Uh huh uh huh huh.”

“Rainbow, he's almost here! What—”

“Shhhh...” Rainbow smiled calmly as the waters around her bubbled madly. “A wise zebra friend of mine once said, 'Don't—'”

FWOOOOOOSH! A gigantic set of jaws rose up out of the depths, swallowing Rainbow Dash and Twilight whole.

The crew of the Swan Swong flinched, gasping.


On the Atoll's shore, the natives gasped and whooped and shouted.

From a distance, they saw half of the serpent's body launching straight up out of the ocean like a missile. Ultimo's fins glittered with water, and finally its toothed mouth snapped shut, sending an audible clap echoing in every cardinal direction.

Flare, Kaji, and the rest of her companions watched in awe. For a brief moment, bravado gave way to worry.


The Swan Song was tugged backwards from the force of the beast's jaws. As it came splashing back down, water thoroughly doused the deck. The stallions sputtered, struggling to stand upright on the rocking deck.

“Nnngh—guh!” Nick wheezed. “Rainbow Dash!”

“Did you see that?!” Sinrar rasped. “Mon dieu! The damnable thing chomped her whole!”

“Augh!” Theanim grunted as the ship swerved and rocked. His wide eyes spotted the rope attached to the hull. “Cut the line! Cut the line!

“What?!” Nick yelped.

“Ultimo will drag us under! Ship and all!”

“But Rainbow Dash—!”

“Was out of her stupid mind!” Theanim snarled. “She wouldn't want us to die for nothing!”

“But you heard what she said—”

“I've heard what everypony's been saying! And it's all crazy!” Theanim reached for a blade attached to the cabin's entrance. “Help me cut the line—”

“Wait!” Sinrar growled. “Everypony stop!

Theanim and Nick froze in place, shivering.

“Why haven't we been dragged under yet?” Sinrar said. “I've seen this beast before! He could drag down an entire dreadnaught if he wanted to!”

“He... brings up a good point,” Theanim muttered, trembling.

“Look!” Nick pointed into the ocean behind them.

The three stared, gawking, for in the wake of the Swan Song they could see the entire length of the beast thrashing. Ultimo's fins and tail broke the watery surface repeatedly, sending jets of water splashing in every direction. And yet, in spite of its muscle and might, it didn't drag the ship anywhere. Not one inch.

“It's... it's like he's fighting something,” Nick muttered. “From the inside out.”

“By the blight, you're right,” Sinrar exhaled. He looked aside at Theanim and swatted the stallion with his dirty old wing. “Imbecile! The camera!”

“Right... r-right!” Theanim raised the instrument, taking snapshot out of snapshot.

“Omigosh omigosh!” Nick ran to the trimaran's stern, pointing into the bubbling currents. “Look! Professor! Are you seeing this?”

“Zut alors...”

After the sixth or seventh shot, Theanim lowered the camera. His goggles reflected a dim red glow emanating from the submerged jaws of the beast. “Verlaxion, spare her. Is... is that...”

“Something's happening!” Nick stumbled back. He nervously hugged Sinrar. “Hit the deck!”

“Too late!” Sinrar growled. “The beast! He is... he's...”

An enormous fountain of salt water billowed out from the sea. There was a flash of jagged teeth, then rippling muscle mass, then—splooooosh!—a fuzzy wet missile soared in a rainbow arc. Adjusting herself in midair, the pegasus aimed for the Swan Song's deck and landed right in front of Theanim.

“Ooomf!” Rainbow Dash slid on her back until she came to a stop beside the cabin's entrance. Her pendant was glowing red hot, and she clung a large frothing chunk of frozen ice to her chest. Twilight settled by her side as both mares caught their breaths. At last, Rainbow tossed her mane back, shuddered, and spat: “'—Panic!'”

PreviousChapters Next