• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,309 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,309

PreviousChapters Next
The Absolute Best Possible Audience Ever

“...so last month, we took a trip out to Manehattan, and I performed for the first time at the Empire Harbor Ampitheatre,” spoke a young, feminine voice. Her melodic tone resonated in the cool night air, issuing out from the silver beams of light that danced between Rainbow's Loyalty pendant and the moon. “I must have sung before two thousand people that night! That's my record so far! I mean... sure... I'm no Lavender Lakes, but I'm moving up there! And fast too! Mom and Dad are—like—going super bonkers with pride. They still won't let me perform at Las Pegasus venues, though. Guess I have to be a 'decade older for that,' or so Dad says.”

“My my...” Rarity cooed, curling her hooves against the starlit cloudbed. “I can't believe it! She's become a star!” She turned aside to squeal at Pinkie and Twilight. “An absolute star!

Rainbow Dash smirked and gazed up at the moon. “Rarity's totally starstruck, right here. Tell us, Sweetie Belle, with all this traveling around for singing concerts n'stuff, do you not get to see the Crusaders all that much?”

The air rang with bell-like giggles.

Bard glanced up from tuning his guitar. Wildcard cringed, grinding his beak.

Rainbow's muzzle scrunched. “What's so darn funny?”

“Oh Rainbow Dash...” Sweetie Belle's voice rolled with amusement. “You really must be in another world! We haven't called ourselves the Cutie Mark Crusaders in a long... long time.”

“You haven't?” Rainbow blinked.

“Well, no. I mean, what would be the point? Each of us... y'know... has one now.”

“Ahhhh...” Rainbow Dash nodded. “But of course.”

“But you asked me a good question and it's not very nice of me to laugh at it. Ahem. I see Scootaloo from time to time, but not as often as I used to. Ever since Spike... uhhh... took over the position as Ponyville's chief expert on magic, he's been relying on her to do lots and lots of tinkering around the library. He's converted the whole basement area beneath Twilight's old home into an alchemist's workshop, you see. He concocts all sorts of potions from healing salves to growth formulae. And since Scootaloo is so good at fixing machinery, she's often lending him a hoof in getting the various contraptions up and running. I guess—in a way—you could say that she's become Spike's apprentice.”

A deeper, male voice interjected: “And after so many experiments, she's still in one piece, too! I learned mentorship from the best.”

“Yes you did, Spike.” Twilight clasped her hooves together, sniffling. “Yes you did.”

“Twilight couldn't be happier, Spike,” Rainbow said.

The dragon's voice chuckled on the other end.

Soon after, Sweetie Belle resumed: “It's not easy seeing each other, especially since Mom and Dad and I moved to Canterlot. But the crus—er... girls and I make a habit out of meeting up once a week at Celestia's Palace, courtesy of Princess Luna. I get to hear about what new experiments Scootaloo and Spike are working on, and then Apple Bloom gives me an earful of all the crops she's harvesting this season.”

“Just what cutie mark did she get?”

“An apple tree. What else?” A giggle. “Only—like—there're a bunch of flowers growing around the trunk of it. According to Apple Bloom, it's the first time anypony in her family has had flowers for a cutie mark since hers and Applejack's mother died.”

“Ooh! Oooh! Rarity waved her hoof in Rainbow's muzzle. “Ask Sweetie Belle what her cutie mark looks like?”

“But she already told us, Rares.”

“Mmm! Yes!” Rarity squirmed in place. “But she didn't go into detail, now, did she?”

“Eughhh...”

“Oh please please please, Rainbow! You must ask her!”

“She's gonna be a whiny little chatter batter box until you do!” Pinkie Pie sang.

“Oh alright...” Rainbow rolled her eyes with a smirk and tilted her head up towards the moonlight again. “Say, Sweetie Belle, at the risk of sounding like a broken record—Rarity is dying to know exactly what your cutie mark looks like.”

“Oh! Well, I don't mind describing it! She always had an eye for detail!”

Squeee!” Rarity plopped down on the cloud, cupping her chin in her hooves. A pair of blue eyes quivered in anticipation.

“So... uh... imagine a microphone, only the grip is embossed in what looks like gold. There's what looks like a ring of pearls just under the mouthpiece, and then very end of the handle is bedazzled with a diamond stud...


“...as a matter of fact, they just started learning their first real words only a few weeks ago! Can you believe that?” Carrot Cake's voice chuckled. “Pumpkin, naturally, was the first to speak. Pound soon followed suit. They've been saying stuff like 'sugar'... and 'baking'... and 'flour' a lot. Who woulda guessed that our babies hang out around the kitchen with Mommy and Daddy a lot? Hah!”

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...” Rarity and Twilight cooed at once.

“Boy, I'm telling you...” Rainbow Dash shook her head with a smirk. “That Pound Cake sounds like a real flier!”

“And how! We had to put wooden bars above his crib so he wouldn't go zooming around the Sugarcube hallways at night! It took us an extra-long time to teach him to walk, because he was so good with his wings already! Isn't that right, Sugar Lumpkin?

“You said it, Ginger-Poo!” chimed Cup Cake's voice.

Rainbow opened her mouth to say something—

FWOOSH! Pinkie burst through Rainbow's side, limbs flailing. “Oooh! Oooh! Ask them what Pumpkin's favorite ice cream flavor is! Or if Pound has ever learned to ride Gummi! Or how about the number of times they've gone to the zoo?! Do they play pranks on one another?! Do they like Dad jokes or Mom Jokes?” Suddenly, Pinkie's eyes went wide and her muzzle extended to about three times its normal size. “Duaaaaaaaah!” she gasped before violently shrieking: “Who is responsible for throwing their birthday parties?!?!

“Gah! Pinkie!” Rainbow winced, rubbing her ears as the pale glow above them nearly dissipated. “One at a time! I've got the brain of a goldfish and the vocal cords of a flea! I can't channel that much fluff out?!

“Why? What's she asking now?” spoke Cup Cake.

“Yeah! We're curious!” Carrot began.

“Uhhhh—” Rainbow began, only to grimace from Pinkie shouting in her ear again.

My cousins deserve the best birthday everrrr!”

“Guhh!” Rainbow hissed. “Pinkie's... gnhhh... super worried that Pumpkin and Pound Cake may not have gotten a super cool birthday while she was—y'know—dead.”

Carrot Cake chuckled. “Oh, Pinkie. You silly rascal. They've been happy as peaches!”

“There's plenty of cake to go around at home!” Cup Cake added. “And besides, when they both turned one year old, we hired a swell entertainer by the name of Chee—”

“Swell?!” Pinkie Pie cackled, eyes twitching. “Why settle for swell when they coulda gotten swelltacular! That's it!” Pinkie hopped on Rainbow's backside. “Come on, Dashie!” She slapped Rainbow's flank, only for her hoof to phase through. “We're flying back to Ponyville so you can help me throw the Cake Kids a real birthday party!”

“Herrrrre we go,” Rainbow face-hoofed with a moan.

“Pinkie, darling, surely you're not serious!” Rarity exclaimed.

“That's nearly four continents away!” Twilight said, stifling a giggle. “And turning back now would just endanger Rainbow, the world, and perhaps all of Urohringr!”

“You hang your Urohangers! This is serious business! Serious party business!” Pinkie once more attempted in vain to dig invisible spurs into Rainbow's sides. “Come on, Dashie! West horse it!”

“Give us a moment, Mr. and Mrs. Cake,” Rainbow smirked into the air. “We're having pinknical difficulties.”

“Eheheheh... yeah, I bet!”

“Uuugh!” Pinkie groaned to the sky. “Why couldn't I have been blown up by a marauding band of rider's crops so I could haunt one to slap you right now?!”


“Please, Rarity. You... you must understand,” an older mare's voice stammered. “We thought you were dead. For all intents and purposes, we knew you were dead. All that was left of you and the rest of Rainbow's friends was ashes. Not even the Elements appeared to have survived.”

“At first, we hoped that there was some misunderstanding... a freakish magical accident that just... teleported you somewhere instead,” added a masculine voice. “But... but with each meeting we had with Spike and Princess Luna, they laid out the truth for us... or at least what we thought was the truth at the time. It... it was a bitter pill to swallow.

“Your father's being a bit too passive in describing it. The fact of the matter, Rarity, is that... losing you...” The mare's voice shuddered, then resumed in a raspy tone. “It wrecked me. It left me utterly devastated. For months, I just... just refused to get out of bed. I-I know... that... th-that that isn't what you want to hear right now. So know this instead. Please... I need you to know that I love you. I love you so terribly much, Rarity. I had so m-many opportunities to tell you when you were around, and I thought I had lost you for g-good. It tore me apart for so long that... that we simply couldn't stay there. We couldn't remain in Ponyville. I wasn't being the pony I needed to be... the mother I needed to be for Sweetie and... and...”

“It was my decision, Rarity,” the stallion said. “Not your mother's. I felt that... that keeping the Boutique open would only act as an open wound. We had to move on, to keep ourselves sane, to support Sweetie Belle in her new endeavors. So... I-I sold the Boutique. And we moved to Canterlot. I... I will understand if you hate me forever for doing that. It's... it's not that I ever gave up on loving you. We could never... ever remove you from our hearts, darling. It's just that—from the facts we had at the time—there was never a ch-chance of hearing your sweet little voice again. And even right now we're trying so hard to imagine it...”

“Mmmm...!”

Rainbow Dash looked to her side.

Rarity had her muzzle covered. When—at last—she raised her hooves, she bore a tear-stained smile. “Oh Father... Mother...” She stood up straight, sniffling. “I shan't ever be angry at you!” Her voice rose, one heroic decibel after another. “You've shown boundless courage and determination! It is more than evident in the unwavering confidence that I now hear in Sweetie Belle's magnificent voice! A Boutique is just a Boutique, and one mustn't rest on the laurels of a past life! I owe you no ill-will! How could I?! It would be the very antithesis of generosity to expect you to decay in the melancholic mire that my unforeseen absence has evidently caused! Weep not for my passing, for I am still here, albeit a ghostly horizon away! I shall return, and when I do, your darling daughter will never leave your sight again! I cherish you more than the world's supply of sparkling diamonds, and though it need not be said, I nevertheless forgive you for any righteous act you feel unnecessarily guilty for since my departure!” She ended her dramatic dialogue with a theatric pose.

During the space of this time, the two parents' voices echoed:

“Rainbow...?”

“Is... is Rarity too mad at us to respond...?

Bard and Wildcard glanced over.

Rainbow took a long, long breath. “Whip out the tissues, everypony...” She cracked her neck joints with an awkward smile. “...cuz this is gonna be a doozy.”


“So... ... ...” A low feminine voice droned in a gravelly tone. “... ... ...according to Spike and Princess Luna, Rainbow's journey has proven that we all live on a giant flat rock floating in space... ... ...” An enormous pause. “... ... ...is that actually for real or just a gross exagerration of observable geological facts... ... ....?”

“Heehee!” Pinkie Pie rocked back and forth. “It's as real as your nose is cute to boop, Maudy Maudy Maudy!” Pinkie stretched back until she stared upside down at Rainbow behind her. “Pssst! Translaterooziez!

Ahem...” Rainbow Dash cleared her throat, rubbing the sleep out of her eyelids. “Euhhm... yeah, that's quite true... er... Maud. But... like... don't most ponies in Equestria know that the earth is a big flat plane stuck in a cosmic cloud of chaos?” Rainbow's muzzle scrunched tiredly. “I mean... I'm pretty sure that much was in my head before I ever first talked to Luna about the Midnight Armory n'jazz.”

“... ... ...yes, but flying to the edge of the big giant rock is sooooooo much cooler than estimating the circumference through mathematially sound surveying equipment... ... ...” Each syllable rippled outward from the moonlight in agonizingly slow progression. “... ... ...I do hope you and Pinkie Pie are making a topographical map of the places you see... ... ...”

“Er... well, I actually have a map already,” Rainbow said. “Courtesy of a cool dude named Professor Sinrar. And, to be blunt, Pinkie Pie isn't exactly in the position to write anything anytime soon—”

“I'm keeping a mental map, Maudy!” Pinkie shrieked. “I'm looping it with my brain noodle!”

Rainbow shuddered. “Pinkie's got you covered, Maudy—er... Maud.” She smiled tiredly. “Don't you sweat.”

“... ... ...I don't perspire like most ponies... ... ...” A seemingly endless pause. “... ... ...I think it's on account of years and years of having my tiniest pours filled with dust and sediment... ... ...” Another pause. “... ... ...has the ghostly apparition of my sister ever mentioned that we work on a rock farm... ... ...

“No, but... uhm...” Rainbow Dash glanced over at Bard and Wildcard. The Desperadoes were busy snoring atop their cloud. “...I'm starting to catch the drift.”

“... ... ...also, Pinkie Pie, I must apologize for the alarming absence of Mom, Dad, Inkie, and Blinkie. They would have showed up in person, but they were afraid of ruining the joyful mood of every other family member with their somber countenance. So they chose to send me as a happy ambassador of the Pie family... ... ...”

“Well, jee, Maud...” Rainbow fidgeted. “That's very... uhm...”

“And what a fantastic ambassador they've chosen! Heeeee!” Pinkie squealed, her cheeks rosy. “Don't let a single pony leave Luna's Palace with a misty eye, Maud! Knock that crowd dead with jokes! Oooh! Especially that one about the rock! I love that one!”

Rainbow winced, but ultimately stammered: “Pinkie wishes you good luck in... uhm...”

“... ... ...no, I get it. Even from miles and miles away, I read my sister like a rock. She wants me to entertain the ponies here... ... ...” Dreadful silence. “... ... ...I will try not to induce them into spontaneous urination from the laughter... ... ...

“Woohoo! Go get 'em, Maudy!” Pinkie pumped a hoof in the air. “Don't let the Pie spirit die!”

“... ... ...also, Mom wants you to know that I'll be staying with the Cakes for a while, feeding Gummy... ... ...” Seconds lurched by... almost a full minute. “... ... ...he likes rock candy... ... ...” Winds shifted. The oceans rolled. Somewhere, a continent of frost settled into place. “... ... ...he's a silly gator... ... ...


“Spike was able to translate even more of the code that Princess Cadance relayed to Princess Luna,” spoke Mr. Sparkle. “While he still hasn't been able to write down all of it, he did catch a little message that Shining had managed to slip in amidst all the data.”

“Oh?” Twilight sat up, tail wagging. “What's my B.B.B.F.F. say?”

Rainbow smirked. “Twilight's all ears, folks.”

The stallion's voice cleared, then rolled on: “'Twili. The first time I heard that you were still alive, I cried. But you should have expected that. I cry at all major family get-togethers. Doesn't matter if it's a funeral, or something the complete opposite. And—thank Celestia—we've been blessed with the latter just now.'

Twilight giggled, gnawing on the edge of her hoof. Tears sprang up in her eyes as her father continued reading out loud over the enchanted airwaves:

“'I talk to Candance about you everyday. She laughs a lot at the stories that I have to tell. A couple of times, she rolls her eyes, saying that I love you more than I love her. I know she's only teasing, but I think in a way she knows—as I know—that it's always been this family that's made me, that's given me courage, that's emboldened me with the strength and honor I've needed to become who I am in the Royal Guard.'”

Bard tilted his head up, listening quietly as his ears twitched. Wildcard sat off to the side, whittling away at a wooden block.

“'I really don't know where I'd be today if it weren't for you. It's because you needed a babysitter that I ever ran into my beloved Cadance in the first place. It's because of my need to protect an adorkable little bookworm that I ever felt the inspiration to become a soldier. It's because of your magic that—even to this day—I still believe in striving to accomplish the impossible. I think you have one last magic trick up your sleeve, Twili, and Rainbow's there to help you perform it. Come back to us, Twili. In the end, when all of this is said and done, I like to imagine us all having a big dinner together—all of our families as one—talking and laughing and reminiscing about the biggest, craziest disappearing act to ever happen in the history of Equestria. And until that day, I will not stop waiting, admiring, and adoring. With pride, your B.B.B.F.F., Shining Armor.'”

Rarity fanned herself, cheeks puffy. “Oh my goodness...” She shuddered, blinking the tears away. “Oh my goodness, I wish I had a phantom couch right about now...”

Spike's voice came into focus: “Did... uh... did you get all of that?”

“We got it and a half,” Rainbow said. “Tell... uh...” Rainbow looked over to see Twilight quietly sobbing. She bit her lip, then said, “Tell Mr. Sparkle that Twilight's super happy to hear from Shining...”

“Y-yes...” Twilight whimpered. Pinkie Pie leaned over and gave her a soft hug. That gave the unicorn the strength to lift her chin with a lavender smile. “And... and if you're able... tell Shining that we will come back.” She glanced over at Rainbow. “That he should just... look to the west.”

Rainbow's lips pursed. After a few seconds, she nodded, then bore a devilish smirk.

Twilight smiled back. Just then, the moonlight dissipated, and she gasped.

“Oh noes!” Pinkie Pie sat up straight, pouting. “But the moonful of sugar was just about to help the medicine go down!”

“Spike?!” Rainbow Dash called out. “Princess Luna?”

“Reckon yer minutes are up, darlin',” Bard said. “Whatever ya gotsta spill out, better make it quick.”

“Jee, thanks, Cowboy Obvious.”

He shrugged. “Just sayin'—”

Luna's voice rose majestically in volume. “Rainbow Dash.”

“Yes!” Rainbow hopped up, gasping. “Your Highness!”

“It would appear as though the communication is coming to a close. As much as I hate to bring things to a swift closure, I do believe it will be for the best, otherwise...”

“Right! I get it.” Rainbow Dash cupped her hooves around her muzzle. “So long, everypony! We're so... so super psyched that you guys could come!”

“And so are we!” Carrot Cake said. “Blessed to be here, I mean!”

“Take care, Pinkie!” Cup Cake sing-songed. “Maud's written down everything you've said so that the rest of the Pie Clan can read it!”

“... ... ...I'm using very, very special graphite... ... ...”

“Heehee!” Pinkie waved. “So long, my little pie pans!”

“Take care, Twilight!” Mr. Sparkle exclaimed. “We're all believing in you!”

“Be strong, Twilight!” said Mrs. Sparkle. “Spike is taking care of things here. He's so incredibly proud of you. We're all so very proud, Twilight!”

“So am I...” Twilight squeaked, covering her muzzle with shaking hooves. “S-so am I...”

“We love youuuuuu, Rarityyyy,” the fashionista's parents sang together. “Go on! Say good bye, Sweetie Belle!”

“Good bye, Sweetie Belle! Heeheehee!

“Oh goodness...” Rarity rolled her eyes, giggling.

“Good luck with your adventures, big sis,” Sweetie Belle said. “Stay fabulous and... sparkly clean! I guess... s-seeing as you're a gh-ghost and all... that's...” As the moonbeams undulated, Sweetie's voice grew more and more fractured, cracking into a tearful sob. “...th-that's the one thing you d-don't have to worry about anymore...”

“Oh Sweetie...” Rarity sighed, sniffling. “Sweetie Belle, darling, don't cry...”

“Rarity's all ears, kid,” Rainbow said. “It's gonna be alright. I'm...” She took a deep breath. “I'm gonna bring her back to you. I'm gonna bring 'em back to all of you. Don't worry.”

“I... I-I know, Rainbow Dash. I believe in you. All of us d-do. It's just that... th-that I miss my older sister so much, and... and...” Sweetie's voice shuddered. “I'm sorry. I'm s-so sorry. I know you have to go, and I'm being a big baby.

“No no no no no dear...” Rarity exhaled. “It's alright! You're... you're so...”

“I love you, Rarity...” Sweetie sobbed. “Omigosh, I love you so much. Please c-come back in one piece...” Her weeping breaths grew more and more distant.

Rarity hung her face, shuddering. Pinkie and Twilight moved in, nuzzling her from both sides. Bearing a brave smile, the mare hugged them back, teary-eyed.

Luna's voice came back to the suface, ever so slightly distorted. “Rainbow Dash...”

“Er... yeah.” Rainbow gulped. “Sure thing, Luna. Uhm...” She glanced over her shoulder. “Excuse me for a sec, dudes.”

“Oh... absolutely...” Bard saluted back. “Dun let us steal this moment from you none, darlin'.”

Wildcard nodded.

With a nervous grin, Rainbow Dash flexed her wings and trotted to the far side of the cloud.

PreviousChapters Next