• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,309 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,309

PreviousChapters Next
Any Other Situation, A Boss Fight

“Now correct me if I'm wrong...” Bard cleared his throat, shiftily glancing left and right. “But were we arrested by a bunch of surly lookin' guards or weren't we...?”

Rainbow Dash looked around. With each subterranean floor that her group descended, the corridors grew more and more luxurious. Fine velvet banners and tapestries lined the lantern-lit walls. Once more, the local equine populace lounged about in fine silks and refineries—standing in stark contrast to the heavily-armored stallions escorting Rainbow and her friends. Bard wasn't the only one who found this odd; several of the loitering nobility stopped to gawk and stare at the marching group.

“Maybe they're inducting us into their harem,” Echo muttered.

Theanim sighed. “Old chap, must you?”

“Well, not like the catbird's gonna say it.”

Wildcard's goggles reflected rippling light sources. He gestured ahead of them.

Rainbow craned her neck to see several pools of crystal-clear water looming around the next bend. Several granite pillars stretched between these liquid beds and the curved ceiling above. At last, the marble floor formed a narrow bridge that led towards a wide series of pearlescent doors. Statues depicting aquatic equines loomed on either side of the entrance. Rainbow heard a trickling sensation, and it took her half-a-minute to realize that a slender waterfall was aquakinetically falling up the statue and into a series of well-placed grooves in the marble doorframe.

It was around this point that the guards stopped. With rattling armor, the stallions pivoted—along with their spears—to face Rainbow and her friends.

“Now...” The lead pony spoke, his helm imposing in the reflected waterlight. “Wait right here.” He turned about, then trotted slowly up to the doors.

Rainbow and her friends fidgeted where they stood. Even Rarity and Twilight squirmed in the air with unease.

“The timing about this is what bothers me,” Theanim murmured in a hushed tone. “The morning assembly at the Marine Auction House is just about to take place. If we miss this opportunity, it will be another twenty-four hours before we can knock Shoggoth off their hooves with revelation of the Northern Hoof's corruption!”

“Don't forget we've got Revan the Magnificent Bastard chasin' after our tails.” Bard gulped. “Oh, wouldn't he lurve to tan my hide somethin' awful for the real idgetin' I gave him.”

Wildcard gestured.

“Pffft. Dun be silly.” Bard smirked. “Any of the ponies you beat up would rather jump in a lake than come down here!”

“We live on the ocean, dumbass,” Echo grumbled.

“Well, then, a lake at the bottom of the ocean!” Bard hissed back. “Seriously, why's everythang about you gotta be sass'n'asscheese?!”

“Even sunshine and rainbows have gotta take a dump sometime...”

“Everypony, cut it out!” Rainbow snapped, voice cracking. “Give me a second to figure out what's going on.” She turned towards Twilight and Rarity. “What do you sense about this place?”

“Yeah, we're not allowed to talk, but she gets to chew the fat with invisible friends—” Echo began.

Shhhh!” Theanim snarled. “Do as she says, Echo!” He looked patiently in her direction.

In the meantime, Rarity floated up close. “This place is incredible, Rainbow Dash,” she said. “These chambers have been carved out of the ocean's floor by... by... well, by something far older and more powerful than contemporary magic,” the mare explained. “I've never felt anything like it! The walls are smoother than a foal's... than a foal's...” She sighed. “Well, you know.”

“How deep are we?” Rainbow muttered.

“Not as deep as it can get,” Rarity said. “These chambers go on beneath us far further than even I can sense. What's more, most of them are flooded with water.” Her eyes narrowed. “I suspect that most of Shoggoth Propper is only accessible to sea ponies.”

Rainbow looked aside at Twilight. “Well? Anything the egghead would like to add?”

“Rarity's right about the water, Rainbow,” Twilight said. “Normally, pressure wouldn't allow for all of the reservoirs beneath us to remain filled, but a special kind of elemental manipulation is keeping it all in check.”

“Just like the structures above us?”

“Exactly.”

From the back, Bard blinked. “She certainly gets... all wordy-like with the shadows, don'tcha think?”

Wildcard merely held a single metal talon before his beak.

“Any sign of the Princess?” Rainbow asked.

“That's just it, Rainbow Dash,” Twilight said, turning to face the door. “Inside there is the biggest source of magical energy I've sensed after we released Rarity.” She gulped. “If it isn't Princess Camellia, I... I-I shudder to think.”

“Shhh!” Rarity pointed up ahead. “Look! Something's happening!”

The lead guard ahead of them turned around. As he did so, a green light faded from his eyes. He shouldered his polearm and shuffled towards the group.

With a loud clatter, the rest of the guards shouldered their weapons, standing at ease.

Rainbow watched as the lead guard approached her. “The Princess of the Sirens will see you now,” she said.

“Well, 'bout time!” Bard trotted forward. “Let's get this pool party star—”

Schiiing! The lead guard held his spear towards him. “Not you.” He turned towards Rainbow Dash. “She only wishes to speak to the three of you.”

Rainbow did a double-take. Her spectral friends gawked while she stammered, “The... th-three of us?”

“Affirmative.”

Theanim glanced over.

“But...” Rainbow leaned forward. “What... could she mean by—?”

The guard bowed slightly. “It is not my place to ask... only to deliver.” He stood up straight again. “But you must hurry. She's told me that time is of the essence.”

Rainbow looked at Twilight and Rarity.

“Hang on...” Bard held a hoof up, then glanced awkwardly at Echo and Wildcard. “How come... she asks for—?”

“Better go on, Miss Dash,” Theanim said. “The rest of us will be fine here.”

“We will?!” Echo wheezed.

“Right.” Rainbow cleared her throat and trotted forward. “Let's go, girls.”

The guards spread apart to make way for her. On softly trotting hooves, Rainbow crossed the rest of the marble bridge. She sensed amphibious shapes shifting far beneath the waters on either side of her, and her figure cast a dozen fractured shadows through the rippling waterlight across the ceiling above.

As she reached the doors, she paused, squinting at the reverse waterfall. With a roar of pressurized liquid, the wall of jets spread apart, exposing the naked polished doorframe. Then, with a gust of cool, salty air, the doors parted ways, exposing a round chamber beyond—almost like a clamshell.

Steeling herself, Rainbow Dash trotted forward, and the doors closed behind her, sealing her off from her friends.


“Oooooooh...” Rarity cooed, looking all around. Her eyes reflected the shimmering sights of the half-domed chamber. “It's like living inside a gem!”

“Yeah, well, here's hoping we live for long,” Rainbow muttered. She looked straight ahead at a complicated mural looming beyond a shallow curtain of water, curved to hug the surfaces of the domed-walls. Ivory-colored etchings depicted equines from land and sea forming a tight group and holding hooves-in-fins. As soon as Rainbow Dash reached a round dais in the center of the room—surrounded on almost all sides by a deep pool of water—she felt a tonal shift to the light source. The color of the refracted light switched from amber to an icy blue. The temperature shifted, dropping a bit, and Rainbow's ears began ringing.

Before long, much of the water lining the mural peeled back like the skin of an orange. The liquid surged forward, collecting into a sphere above Rainbow Dash, supported by rippling tendrils of moving, living water, issuing upwards from below.

Twilight rubbed her head, wincing a bit. Rarity held a hoof on her shoulder, then joined Rainbow in gawking at the phenomenon. Not very long into it, several dark figures shot into view from the pools below. Rarity gasped a bit, catching her breath as she saw half-a-dozen sea ponies darting up the tentacles of water and swimming throughout the hovering sphere in swift circles. They came to a stop, brandishing a daggers and razor-sharp chakrams. Despite the seemingly menacing glint to their weapons, they gazed at Rainbow Dash with expressions that bordered on pleasant. It was enough to distract her from the even tighter school of seaponies suddenly swimming up from below. They followed a thick branch of water while the levitating sphere enlarged above Rainbow Dash, fed with the currents from below. These seaponies wore fine silks of red and burgundy that tapered and trailed in the manipulated currents. Before long, the group spread apart in an aquatic ballet, exposing a graceful figure in their midst who dwarfed them in size.

Camellia's body was a very slender sight, with a long snout and a pronounced neck-crest in place of a mane. Her hooves were more like avian limbs, tightly hooked at her side and locked in a semi-graceful pose. Scales of luminescent turquoise shimmered in the waterlight, casting a brilliant sheen only bested by her bright green eyes. Despite her almost serpentine qualities, Camellia possessed an air of refinement, accentuated by what looked to be translucent tentacles dancing outward from beneath her limb joints. It took Rainbow a little while to realize that they were actually a unique form of dress, with glowing gold ringlets attached to the silk bands that—when spread out—framed the regal siren's figure like she was sporting an enormous halo. All the while, a thick, athletic tail drifted from side to side beneath her, and she loomed above Rainbow Dash—flanked by finmaidens and guards—with a calm face and an even calmer smile.

“Do we speak first... or does she...?” Rarity murmured.

“If royal etiquette here is anything like it is in Equestria,” Twilight said, “Then she should be allowed to speak first.”

“She has,” Rainbow Dash said, brow furrowed. “And I've allowed it, more than once.” She stepped boldly forward. “Princess Camellia... let's get this over with.” Her two companions winced, and yet she continued: “What do you want from me?”

The siren's head tilted to the side. Her eyes flickered bright green. “I would have you be honest with me...” Her scaled lips curved. “But it looks like I've already had my first wish granted, Rainbow Dash.”

PreviousChapters Next