• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,308 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,308

PreviousChapters Next
It's Never Too Late For Exposition

“Okay...” Rainbow Dash paced around the edge of a cloudbed. “...let's go over this one more time.”

“Rainbow Dash...” Twilight Sparkle yawned, floating lazily upside down below the mare. “We have been over it at least ten times! Even for me, that's getting too thorough!”

“Look... I know you just hopped out of the—err—void womb...” Rainbow's brow furrowed. “But I've been flying, galloping, and buttkicking all these months with the full belief that you guys... all of you guys were dead! So if there's an actual chance of—y'know—changing that, I wanna make sure there's no mistake!”

“We're not going to know any more by just speculating on it further tonight,” Twilight said, stifling another yawn. “It's rather clear that we need to get Sinrar to show us where on the map we can find next five points!”

“I can get to the points no problem,” Rainbow said, gesturing towards the east. “I've got the Yaefaerda beacon do help me with that!”

“Yes, but you still need to know what you're dealing with... we still need to know what we're dealing with.” Twilight smiled tiredly. “You've been through enough as it is. I don't want you flying blindly into another dragon's lair, or a warzone...” She bit her lip. “Or Verlax.”

“Look... I'm not scared of Verlax!” Rainbow said, gritting her teeth. “Maybe Chrysalis couldn't outsmart her, but I don't care! I'm getting the girls back! Even if I have to headbutt my way through Verlax to do it!”

“One must not take Verlax's power for granted, Rainbow Dash,” Luna's voice said. “Celestia and I recall her being quite crafty, capable of outsmarting even the wisest elder alicorns who had once walked this plane.

Rainbow Dash took a deep, long breath. She tilted about, muttering, “Luna... just... one m-more time, Your Highness...” She gestured with her hooves. “Let's say I visit each of the five points. Let's say the machine world does the same as the Tower did. Let's say I bring back the Element Bearers. Let's say I make it as far as the Midnight Armory with them. What then?”

“Then you'll have your work cut out for you, Rainbow,” Spike spoke up. “There are tons and tons of ancient books written about the Armory alone. I can barely read five to ten pages of the stuff without feeling worn out.”

“And while Celestia and I were involved in the construction of the facility,” Luna spoke, “We were simply two of the many alicorns who built it. It was designed in such a way that opening it and accessing its contents would require the simultaneous concentration of multiple immortals.”

Twilight spoke up. “The Midnight Armory is old, Rainbow Dash. Older than either you or I can comprehend. I... I-I don't think it was ever meant to last as long as it has.”

Rainbow Dash blinked at that, then turned to speak into the air. “And... what are the chances that a mere mortal like myself could open it?”

“That is difficult to say. From what you have relayed to us from the words of Chrysalis, Tchern and two other militant factions have been vying over control of the Armory. Is this correct?”

“Pretty much.”

“And have any of them succeeded in accessing the structure's interior?”

Rainbow slowly shook her head. “No, Your Highness. And... and from I gather, things haven't been very easy for Endrax.”

“She's been reduced to 'pieces,' from what I recall.”

“Yeah. And considering she's a Divine who purposefully went to the Dark Side to monitor the Armory...”

Twilight fidgeted from where she hovered.

Luna's voice eventually said, “You are one pony, Rainbow Dash, and a mare like no other. I have full faith that if any individual was to make it inside the Midnight Armory, you would be the one most capable.”

“Yeah, but all of the empowering of Austraeoh doesn't mean bunk when it comes to the Midnight Armory, don'tcha think? That's alicorn tech!”

“And so is Harmonic Acclimation, in a manner of speaking.”

Rainbow's muzzle scrunched. “I... don't suppose it's still possible for... y'know... either of you two to join me at the Armory... huh?”

“You mean Celestia and myself?”

Rainbow Dash was already wincing. “I... think I already knew the answer before I finished asking that,” she said with a prolonged sigh.

“Celestia simply cannot leave her post, Rainbow Dash. The chaos from the rift would consume Equestria from the inside out—and there is no telling how swiftly it would spread to the lands governed by Whitemane to the East or Sturke to the West.”

“R-right...”

“And seeing as I am tasked with controlling the Sun and Moon, it would be quite difficult to exert myself in making such a long and arduous journey without throwing the entire population of the Light Side into extreme jeopardy. And even if I were to make it to the edge of the world, crossing over would cut off my power altogether, casting the entire plane as we know it into perpetual darkness.”

“Double right...” Rainbow sighed. “It's... it's really all up to me then...”

“In terms of reaching the Armory, yes. But the Harmonic Prism is another matter.”

Rainbow Dash blinked. “How do you mean?”

“Assuming you can—indeed—coax the spirits of the Element Bearers out of their limbo, then the Harmonic Prism may be capable of reversing the effect that the spell's feedback had on them when Discord was last confronted.”

“You... you mean it can give them their bodies back?!”

“That's what I'm attempting to say.”

“But... but...” Rainbow blinked. “Th-that's awesome and all, but how?!

“The very function of the Harmonic Prism is to focus the energy that first gave the Elements of Harmony their power to begin with. This includes reinforcing both Harmonic Acclimation and Harmonic Unification. After the research that Spike and I accomplished, I theorize that utilizing the Prism might be able to undo the effect of the feedback. That includes—yes—re-materializing the Element Bearers in their original, proper form.”

“Okay... well...” Rainbow glanced down at Twilight. “Assuming that's true and all... just...” She scratched her head. “How or... why is that part of the whole Austraeoh plan? I mean, assuming that Urohringr is more or less guiding me towards doing this... helping me stay alive and lighting my path with Yaerfaerda...” Her eyes narrowed. “...why's it gotta involve the Harmonic Prism?”

“I simply do not know, Rainbow Dash.”

It was Twilight's turn to sigh.

“However, as it is a piece of alicorn technology, the Harmonic Prism can only be used in the hooves of a pure-born Alicorn.”

“So... somepony like you or Celestia,” Rainbow said. “Whitemane wouldn't cut it.”

“No. And neither would Shining Armor's mate, Princess Cadance.”

Twilight blinked. “Wait, what?”

Rainbow opened her mouth—

Luna said: “You will—in essence—have to make a total circumnavigating trip around the plane, both the Light Side and the Dark. This will, in effect, allow you to bring the Harmonic Prism back to my sister and I so that one of us—or both of us—can harness the energy in the spirits of the Element Bearers and restore them back to the corporeal realm.”

“That... means...” Rainbow's wings went limp, and she fell until she plopped down onto the edge of a cloud. “...it's a loop.” She gulped. “The whole trip... this whole journey...” She ran a hoof across her bangs. “I can't let it end at the Midnight Armory. I... I have...” She glanced aside at Twilight.

Twilight said, “You'd have to fly back to Ponyville.”

“Friggin' A...” Rainbow Dash grimaced. “I knew that I had an impossible flight ahead of me, but... Luna Poop.” She immediately winced. “No offense, Your Highness.”

“Your degree of shock is not unfounded. There is simply no other alternative that I can come up with at the moment, not with the evidence provided and with such little time to analyze it. You can have full faith that Spike and I will scour the Canterlot Archives in search of further information to assist you. But you and Twilight will inevitably be on your own for the next moon cycle.”

“And do you honestly think, Luna, that Twilight and I will be sitting on our fuzzy butts this whole time?” She looked aside at the unicorn.

Twilight blinked, then smiled. “I think we'll be busy touring the sights around here...” Her ears twitched. “At least five of them.”

PreviousChapters Next