• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,304 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,304

PreviousChapters Next
It's All About That Bling (Bling!)

At sunrise, the open ocean stretched far and wide. The Midnight Dreary was a blue speck on an even bluer sheet, constantly and unceasingly fluctuating in every direction. Rainbow had seen oceans this vast and desolate before. Only, when she was navigating the Grand Choke, she had the... “luxury” of both starvation and madness to keep her occupied. At the present, however, she was bored out of her damn skull.

Another thirty-six hours of persistent sea-piercing prevailed, and Rainbow Dash was swiftly running out of poetic, purple nuance with which to entertain her spectral companions. Thus, by the third day of sea voyaging, she took to the air, exercising her wing muscles through restless loopty-loops flown high above the yacht while it continued is sailing voyage east.

“My my...” One of the Colonialist passengers remarked, fanning himself while he and the other three reclined on the front deck. “She certainly is an agile mare, isn't she?”

“No doubt,” Theanim Mane said, gripping the rudder wheel as he pursued the southeast horizon. “And she's seen far more seascapes—and landscapes than the rest of us. Rest assured.”

“Is that a fact?” A mare glanced across the deck. “Rumor was—according to the Nealand locals—that she was from another continent.”

Theanim's ears folded back. “Ermmm...”

“How can there possibly be another continent?” A stallion chuckled. “Verlaxion's glory extends to all ponies in existence. Therefore, aside from the apostate archipelagos bordering the Blight, there's no land large enough to challenge the glory of Verlaxion's throne!”

“Ah... but you forget, my good friend...” Theanim smiled, adjusting his goggles as he steered the ship along. “The Blight's vanished! It no longer exists!”

“Pffft!” One of the stallions paused in fanning himself to scoff. “That's just an unsubstantiated rumor perpetuated by the Kihutajans!”

“Yes, Doctor. You've been listening too much to the speedy mare's companions.”

“Lest you've forget, I've seen amazing... fantastical things that defy explanation,” Theanim said. “You've seen the photographs.”

“And what do they prove, exactly?” the mare said, eyebrow arched. “A scientist like you should be know better than to make wild speculation. Besides... I do not see how an ancient, metal chamber has anything to do with the wild claims of a faraway landscape.”

Theanim Mane sighed. “Life is... far too complex to understand so simply. Even Verlaxion's wisdom supports this. Why else would the Order exist if not to obtain a better grasp of her world—both inside and out?

“My good stallion, if Verlaxion wanted us to wander blindly in mystery, she'd never have bothered to bless the Six Tribes to begin with!” A stallion chuckled. “Seriously, though. Do you even hear yourself lately?”

“Mmmfnngh...” Theanim exhaled through his nostrils. “Loud and clear...” He tilted his head up and hollered: “How are you doing up there, Miss Dash?”

Just getting my second wind, doc!”

“Well, don't wear yourself out prematurely!” Theanim shouted back. “Your nightly navigation has been exemplary! I might rely on your wakefulness again this evening, if you don't mind!”

“Yeah, sure thing!” Rainbow hollered back down, lazily gliding upside down as she caught up with the Midnight Dreary below.

In the meantime, Rarity floated alongside the pegasus, her body wriggling for the umpteenth time. “I swear... there it is again,” she murmured.

“There's what again?” Rainbow asked.

“Is anypony else feeling a dreadful itching sensation?” Rarity shuddered. “I swear... I'm positively ticklish.”

“No, Rarity,” Twilight exhaled, gazing across the oceanic expanse with dull purple eyes. “After all, we don't even have bodies to be scratched or tickled.”

“Then... then how can it be that I'm feeling something?” Rarity's muzzle scrunched. “I swear... it's like a flutter every five seconds or so!”

“Yeah?” Rainbow twirled about. “What kind of a flutter?”

“There it is again!” Rarity gasped, her breaths quickening. “I swear... it's... it's as some dreadful gnat is buzzing at my skin!”

“Rarity, just relax.” Twilight smiled in her direction. “For the first time in your life you have the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors without fear of mosquitoes, heat stroke, or even sweating.” She giggled. “Remember sweating, Rarity?”

“Twilight, darling, this is no laughing matter.” Rarity frowned. “My intuition is telling me that something is amiss, and it just wouldn't be proper of you to dismiss it in such a casual manner.”

“Rarity, honestly, we're in the middle of a watery void. Do you really have to invent drama when there is none?”

“Invent drama?! Why, Twilight, how could you possibly—?!”

“Girls... girls!” Rainbow's voice growled. “For the love of squirrels, can't I have chill ghosts for once?”

“Hey! I'm perfectly calm!” Twilight frowned, pointing in Rarity's direction. “She couldn't even be calm if she came with her own phantom fainting couch!”

“Oh, as if I'd ever even entertain the notion!” Rarity folded her hooves. A few breaths later, she fidgeted. “I... wonder if Sweetie Belle pawned that off...”

“Ugh... buck me...” Rainbow Dash descended. “Okay, Rarity, I've got an idea.”

“Hmmm?” Twilight glanced over as the group lowered to the stern of the Midnight Dreary. “What is it, Rainbow?”

“Shhhh... you've had your spotlight, egghead.” Rainbow touched down. After a calm breath, she folded her wings and looked at the phantom fashionista. “Okay. Rarity. Do you feel anything now?”

“Erm...” The unicorn touched down in front of Rainbow. “Yes. Just... just a slight quiver in my chest.”

“A quiver?”

“Right at this moment. It's... rather persistent.” She gulped. “Like a cold stone is... being pressed against.”

“Really?” Twilight blinked. “How odd.”

Rainbow looked over her shoulder. “Do you feel anything, Twi?”

“No, Rainbow.” Twilight Sparkle shook her head. “I'm perfectly fine!”

“... … ...” Rainbow looked at Rarity. She squinted. With quiet hooves, she trotted around until she stood to the unicorn's rear. “What about now? Do you feel anything different?”

“Erm...” Rarity fidgeted. “As a matter of fact, yes. It's... it's like a slight tickling sensation in my tail.”

“In your tail?”

“That's right.”

Rainbow tapped her chin in thought. “Turn around,” she said.

Rarity did so. She gasped.

“What is it?” Twilight asked.

“It's... it's in my chest again!” Rarity stammered. “The same cold... small fluttering sensation!”

Rainbow slowly strafed around until she came to a stop at Rarity's side. “And... now?”

Rarity bit her lip, then rubbed the shoulder closest to Rainbow. She nodded.

“I don't understand...” Twilight trotted in closer, clearly intrigued. “Is she reacting to you, Rainbow?”

“No... not to her,” Rarity murmured, thinking aloud. “I... can't quite describe it. But it's something on her. Something... sharp. Shiny.”

“Shiny?!” Twilight made a face. She gawked at Rainbow.

Rainbow Dash was already reaching into her saddlebag. After a little bit of rummaging, she produced the Dagger of Evo. Its Val Roan motifs glittered in the sunlight. “Is it... this.”

“Why... good heavens!” Rarity stammered, pointing directly at it. “Yes! Yes it is!”

“You sure?” Rainbow asked.

“I... I am absolutely sure!” Rarity stammered. “I... I can't explain it, Rainbow, but... but it's like I can feel it without... without...” Biting her lip, she leaned forward and pressed her hoof to the blade. Her ghostly limb went through, which somehow made her shudder all the more. “Good heavens... just what is coming over me?”

“Rainbow, do...” Twilight looked up. “Do you suppose it's anything like how I was able to sense Ultimo?”

“Perhaps.” Rainbow glanced at the mare. “And about that. What happened to that sensation when we got the piece of Verlaxion's shard out of him?”

“Well... uhm... it vanished,” Twilight said. She bit her lip. “Mostly.”

“Mostly?”

“I mean... I-I thought I felt... y'know... echoes.”

“No I don't know, Twi.”

“I didn't think much of it,” the unicorn said. “But I've had my mind on Rarity and the tower and... and...” Twilight gazed down at her hooves. “I-I guess I've been feeling little flutters too.”

“See?!” Rarity pointed, grinning. “See?! I'm not quite so dramatic, am I?”

“Like when, Twilight?” Rainbow asked. “When do you feel the flutters?”

“Erm... to be honest?” Twilight pointed across the deck towards where Theanim's companions were lounging. “Whenever Dr. Sands lights his smoking pipe.”

“Truly?” Rarity made a face. “How odd.”

“Wait...” Rainbow squinted across the deck, muttering. “Dr. Sands is a unicorn, right?”

“Yes,” Twilight said.

“...so he uses his magic to light his pipe.”

Twilight blinked. Her eyes brightened. “I'm still sensing magic! It's not just Ultimo!”

“Right...”

“But... but...” She glanced over at Rarity. “What is Rarity sensing?”

Rainbow pocketed the dagger away. “Well, Rares?”

The mare already had her eyes clenched shut. Her brow tensed beneath her horn as she took deep, even breaths. “There's... something among them. Something with the flutter...”

“It's on one of them?”

“Yes. I do believe so...” After a few seconds, Rarity's eyes opened. She pointed. “There. The mare in the fine blue silk finery.”

“... Mrs. Cobbletrots?” Twilight remarked.

“She... has something in her possession,” Rarity said. “Several small stones. Linked by a chain. A... charm of some sort.” She turned to glance at Twilight and Rainbow interchangeably. “Blue sapphires. I'm sure of it!”

“Blue sapphires?” Twilight grimaced. “Rarity... how could you possibly know the color of something without seeing it?”

“I don't know! But I swear, it's on her! She possesses several small, blue stone!” Rarity bit her lip, gazing at Rainbow. “You must believe me.”

“... … ...” Rainbow turned towards the group. She trotted leisurely forward, clearing her voice loudly. “Jee... who on earth dropped these blue stones on the deck?! Hah! Look at them! They're practically rolling in seagull poop!”

Theanim glanced over his shoulder. “What in frost's flurry are you going on about—?”

“Egads!” The mare in a silk dress shrieked. “My coldstones!”

“Gah!” Her husband jumped with a fright. “Honey, what is it?!”

“Don't tell me I dropped them! Verlaxion spare me!” Mrs. Cobbletrots thrusted her hooves deep into her dress' pouch. With a rattle, she pulled the gemstones out. She instantly sighed, clutching the charm to her chest and exhaling with relief. “Oh, bless the Queen! I don't know what I'd ever do if I lost these!”

Rainbow turned to smirk back at Rarity and Twilight. The two spectres simply gawked in awe.

You!

Rainbow spun to face the bow again.

Mrs. Cobbletrots stood up, red in the face. “What kind of a sick idea of a joke was that, anyway?!”

“Well... uhhhh—”

“How'd you even know I had these gems?!” The mare clutched them even tighter to her chest. “They're my only valuables that survived the encounter with that dreadful sea serpent! Hmmph! I know you're somehow responsible for ridding us of the vile beast, but must you gloat about it so childishly?!”

“Huh?!” Rainbow frowned. “Lady, I'm on your side!”

“Like blazes you are!” Mrs. Cobbletrots turned her nose up. “Associating with those soul-less Colonialist salt dogs! I'm surprised you aren't heading to Rohbredden just to rob the tombs of our Queen blind!”

“Now see here—” Theanim began.

“Pffft. Please, lady,” Rainbow chuckled, eyes rolling. “The only pony here who's been robbed is your husband of all his good taste the moment he married you.”

“What—?!” The mare stumbled back, nearly fainting from the force of her gasp. “I beg your pardon—!”

“Hey.” Rainbow shrugged. “Beg away. Some of us here actually earn our passage across this ocean.” She trotted by with an icy glare. “Or would you like to take a turn steering the ship through the long, cold night?”

Mrs. Cobbletrots clammed up, though she nevertheless shook with anger.

Rainbow shuffled past a stunned Theanim. “Ahem.” She whispered, “Sorry for stirring the pot there.”

“You're forgiven...” Theanim blinked blankly. “It was... getting rather dull anyway...?”

As Rainbow made her way back to the stern, Twilight hovered in front of her.

“Rainbow...” She frowned.

“Nnngh...” Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Yes, egghead?”

“What you did just now was completely uncalled for...” The unicorn nevertheless squirmed in mid-hover. “...but... still somewhat expertly timed.”

“Indubitably.” Rarity floated closer, smiling. “I do believe that is what one back home would label... 'a noxious scalding?'”

“Guhhh...” Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Next golden tower I find, I'm shoving you both back into the ruby flame.”

The mares giggled.

PreviousChapters Next