• Published 4th Feb 2013
  • 1,032 Views, 12 Comments

Rise of the Moon - Scribblestick



Nightmare Moon has returned. A few survivors from Ponyville try to take her down.

  • ...
1
 12
 1,032

Zebrica

Zebrica

Apple Bloom wasn't sure how long it had been since she and Zecora left Trottingham. Between the constant darkness and ever-present urgency to find shelter, timekeeping felt like an unnecessary chore, and Apple Bloom had never been fond of chores. Zecora said they were headed south, toward Zebrica, where she said they could escape Nightmare Moon's reach. But after so much time in the frozen cold, Apple Bloom wondered if it really mattered any more.

Sometimes, the only thing that kept her going was Flora's gift—the Poison Joke flower and its mysterious note. True to Flora's instructions, she kept both in her saddle bags. She had no idea if the eternal night would stop at Equestria's borders, and she had a feeling Zecora didn't know, either. The zebra said very little, and Apple Bloom was too tired to speak herself, but when they stopped to rest, Apple Bloom would sometimes see her staring out at the sky with glass eyes.

Finally, she decided to break the silence. "What'cha thinkin' about?"

Zecora didn't answer for a moment. "It is strange, my little friend, to watch the starts when night won't end."

"What d'ya mean?"

Zecora gestured for her to come closer, and Apple Bloom obliged. Through the entrance of the cave in which they rested, she could make out a familiar starscape. "These astral lights traveled the skies when night did end and sun did rise," she explained. "Now they stay in one fixed place, and standing still have lost their grace."

Apple Bloom frowned and looked up. "They just look like normal stars to me."

Zecora shook her head. "On many nights near Ponyville, I watched the skies for hours until I mapped their course and came at last to tell the time as stars did pass."

Apple Bloom looked at the stars again. She'd never thought of using the stars as a clock. "That sounds real neat," she said.

Zecora nodded. "It's a trick that zebras learn while in their youth and travel yearn. Though constellations are different here, their patterns do not disappear."

Apple Bloom pondered these words for a moment. "I bet that helped remind of you home."

Zecora nodded. Her mouth smiled, but her sigh did not. "Rest now, my little Apple Bloom. Find respite from all this gloom."

A few hours passed, and the two resumed their journey. The snow began to grow thinner, and the air warmed a bit. Apple Bloom saw a hopeful glint return to Zecora's eye, a hope that began to swell in her chest as well. Then, as they reached the crest of a hill, they saw it: light.

Zecora held out her foreleg to keep Apple Bloom from rushing forward. Not a stone's throw away, Equestria's darkness met the daylight of a dense jungle, as though a line had been drawn to keep the night at bay.

"This must be the farthest end of Nightmare Moon's dark power, then," Zecora mused. She adjusted the cart's harness. "Come, little one. We must be gone."

The two approached the border with cautious optimism. When they reached the line, Zecora carefully put a hoof into the sunlight. Apple Bloom did the same; the feeling of warm, humid air on her coat felt almost foreign. Zecora nudged her, then gestured forward, and the two left Equestria behind.

Apple Bloom thought it strange that a place so far from Sweet Apple Acres could make her feel more at home than she'd been in... days? Weeks? She couldn't be sure those words even held meaning in her home anymore. The jungle air was thick, and she soon began to feel light-headed.

"Drink this potion, my young friend," Zecora said, holding out one of her potions. Apple Bloom drank it in one long gulp, quenching a growing thirst she hadn't noticed before. "Our journey's nearly at an end."

The jungle was thick, but Zecora deftly led the way through the trees and vines. "So, this is Zebrica," Apple Bloom said. "Are we lookin' for a town?"

"My people's towns are few and distant. With nature, we are coexistent," Zecora replied. Suddenly, her ear twitched, and she paused mid-stride.

"What is it?" Apple Bloom asked.

"The sound of lumber being cut," Zecora said softly, altering course to follow. If she strained her ears, Apple Bloom could just make out the sound of saws. "The noises worry me somewhat."

"Why's that?"

Zecora gestured for her to be silent, and Apple Bloom obeyed. As they made their way toward the sound, Apple Bloom began to hear voices—some of which sounded vaguely familiar.

A sudden sound to the right drew a startled squeak from Apple Bloom's lips. Another zebra, this one carrying a spear, was crouched in the underbrush. Zecora stepped between the stranger and Apple Bloom and spoke softly. "I give my greetings, noble friend. With what force do you contend?"

The zebra nodded toward the sound. "Strangers from the frozen land have entered here and now expand. They tear down trees and vines alike, behavior we do most dislike."

"They're ponies?" Apple Bloom asked. Zecora gestured for her to be silent, but the other zebra addressed her nonetheless.

"You travel here with zebrakind, but do not think that makes me blind," he said.

"I have claimed this child as mine," Zecora said with a stern stomp of her hoof. "I suggest your words refine."

The zebra glanced at her, and then nodded. "Very well, you two may go. Now, these strangers we'll o'erthrow."

"What?" Apple Bloom couldn't help but step around Zecora and face the zebra directly. "You can't hurt them! They're runnin' for their lives!"

"Hush, little one. Let us be gone," Zecora hissed. The other zebra ignored her outburst.

"No! Listen!" Apple Bloom slipped away from Zecora's restraining hoof and moved in front of the zebra. "They're just tryin' to get away from Nightmare Moon. I'm sure they don't mean to—"

A nearby crash cut her protest short. She turned to see a young stallion with yellow fur and yellow-orange mane was stumbling to his hooves a short distance away. He brushed some dirt off his brown vest and straightened his Stetson hat before peering in her general direction. "Someone there?" he asked.

Apple Bloom's heart soared. "Braeburn!"

The stallion's eyes widened as Apple Bloom burst out of the jungle and tackled him. "I can't believe it!"

"S-Slow down, cuz," Braeburn stuttered. "How in Equestria did you get here?"

"Zecora helped me," Apple Bloom answered, gesturing toward the zebras, who stood watching them in stunned silence.

"Well, it looks like I owe you my thanks," Braeburn said, tipping his hat at her. "My name's Braeburn. I hope we're not causing any problems, but—"

"You are indeed a nuisance here, cutting down trees we hold so dear," the other zebra said.

"W-What?" Braeburn took a couple steps back. "I-I'm sorry. It's just, we didn't have anywhere else to go, and—"

"Pony problems are not our concern," the zebra said, pointing his spear at Braeburn's chest. Braeburn gulped. "From this place you must adjourn."

Braeburn scowled. "Look, we're just tryin' to find a new home," he said.

"Perhaps, if I might interject," Zecora said, "an agreement we could perfect." Both Braeburn and the zebra looked at her warily. "I've just come from the darkened land. Their presence here is most unplanned. They flee disaster, as they've said, and leaving now could leave them dead."

The zebra's gaze flitted between Zecora and Braeburn. Then he nodded, and the two zebras began speaking in a language Apple Bloom didn't understand. "Hey, cuz," Braeburn whispered. "What's going on?"

"The zebras don't like cutting down trees. They're sort of sacred to them," Apple Bloom explained.

Braeburn sighed. "Every time. Why can't we find a good homestead that's not sacred to someone else?"

Their conversation was cut short as the male zebra turned to face them. "It seems I was too quick to judge. On this matter, we might budge," he said. "We'll speak of this matter more, and hopefully avert a war."

"War?" Braeburn's pupils dilated for a moment. "I mean, yeah. Sounds good. We, uh, don't want to cause trouble."

The male zebra nodded, then bounded into the jungle and vanished from sight. Braeburn let out a long breath. "Thank you," he said with another hat tip toward Zecora. "That's two I owe you."

"I think it best we move, for now," Zecora said. "Why not show us your new town?"

An eager smile came to Braeburn's face. "Of course. Right this way—" he paused to rear up "—to New Aaaaaaaaaaapleloosa!"

Zecora and Apple Bloom stared at him for a moment. Then Apple Bloom spoke. "Seriously?"

"Aw, come on," Braeburn sighed. "It's fun."

As they made their way toward the sound of construction, Apple Bloom suddenly remembered the flower hidden in her bag. "Hey, Zecora," she said as she removed the note. "One of the Trottingham ponies gave me this. She said you would understand."

Zecora took the paper and read it quickly. Then she paused in her tracks and read it again. Apple Bloom rubbed a foreleg nervously. "What is it?"

Zecora tucked the note inside her cart and resumed her pace. "Not now, my dear. The town draws near."

"What do you mean?"

Zecora did not answer, and by her stern expression, Apple Bloom guessed it best not to press her again.