• Published 1st Oct 2012
  • 1,166 Views, 57 Comments

The Last Crusade - Scribblestick



A tyrant has ruled for a decade. A crusading trio sets out to stop her.

  • ...
3
 57
 1,166

Rebuild

Rebuild

The combined pony, changeling, and griffon army spent most of the afternoon tending to the wounded. Surprisingly, it looked as though all of the soldiers would pull through, though some would have a few interesting scars to brag about. Both Glade and Chrysalis attributed this to the fact that the entire Shadowbolt army had disappeared into thin air relatively quickly, though Braeburn and Gunsmoke insisted it was because Scootaloo had done such a good job training them. They realized a moment later that they weren’t sure where Scootaloo was—or Gilda, for that matter—and it took them a moment longer to remember Nightmare Moon had fled the battlefield with Sweetie Belle in tow. Glade and Gunsmoke quickly rounded up a group of able-bodied griffons and pegasi and set out for Canterlot, not knowing what to expect. What they found was a mangled corpse outside the castle gates and four creatures hiding inside—three ponies, and one griffon.

“We’re fine,” Scootaloo told them one she explained what had happened. “We’re all a little banged up, but we’ll get over it.”

“Where is Commander Gilda?” Glade asked.

“Upstairs with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle,” Scootaloo answered. “Nightmare Moon hit her pretty hard, so they’re working on a potion to help her recover.”

As if sensing her cue, Gilda came crashing down the stairs, half-flying and half-running. “I told you to back off!” she yelled at the earth pony and pegasus behind her. “That stuff tastes like death mixed with vomit!”

“I told you, it’ll help you recover your strength,” Apple Bloom shouted.

“I don’t care if it makes me immortal, I’m not drinking it!”

“Gilda!” Scootaloo shouted. “Colonel Glade is here to see you.”

“What?” Gilda whirled around and noticed the newcomers for the first time. “Ah. Yes. What is it, Colonel?”

Colonel Glade cleared his throat before speaking. “I’m here to give you my report on the battle, ma’am,” he said. “Also, I think you should listen to the pony and drink your potion.”

“Didn’t ask you,” Gilda snapped. Scootaloo stifled a laugh. Apple Bloom rolled her eyes.

The next few hours were spent listening to reports about the battle, the state of the armies, and plans for what to do next. “I suggest the griffon soldiers return to the Nest,” said Colonel Glade. “Now that the battle is over and Nightmare Moon defeated, we should let the ponies rebuild.”

“What do you think, Scoots?” Gilda asked. “You need any help from us?”

“Well, we could use some help wrapping up this winter,” Scootaloo said. “It’ll take a ton of horsepower just to clear away all the snow and plant crops.”

“I know of a half-dozen shelters with good underground farms,” Apple Bloom said. “It’ll be tight, but I think we can rely on them until we can get some aboveground crops planted and grown.”

“Winter wrap up?” Gilda sighed. “Haven’t you learned anything, Scoots? Just let nature take its course.”

“It’ll take months for all this ice to thaw out on its own,” Scootaloo replied. “We just need to clear enough ground for us to get started, and then we’ll let the world run itself—well, except maybe for the occasional weather management.”

“Where do you plan to settle?” asked Glade. “I hope you don’t plan to clean up all of Equestria at once.”

“I’d recommend Trottingham, for now,” Apple Bloom said. “There are some buildings there we can use for shelter, and their underground farm is one of the best in Equestria.”

After a little more discussion, the griffons agreed to help clean up Trottingham before returning to the Nest. The group returned to camp to find most of the soldiers organizing a party. “Welcome back!” Braeburn shouted as he galloped towards them, a massive grin plastered across his face. “You’re just in time to celebrate!”

“That didn’t take long to put together,” Scootaloo remarked as a cart of apple pies rolled past. “Where did you get all the produce?”

“The Trottingham ponies,” Braeburn answered. “Turns out they have this huge underground farm. Who knew?”

“Well done, General.” Scootaloo turned to see Queen Chrysalis walking towards her. Her body sported several bandages, but she was smiling. “Your army performed admirably, considering the amount of training it had.”

“Thank you,” Scootaloo replied. “We couldn’t have done it without you, of course.”

“Of course,” Chrysalis agreed. “Nor without the griffons,” she added with a nod toward Gilda.

“Yeah, well, I figured Scoots here needed all the help she could get,” Gilda said. Scootaloo shot her a glare. “So, what’s your plan from here?”

“We’ll be returning to Zebrica once the party is over,” Chrysalis replied.

“I thought you wanted to live among us as equals,” Scootaloo said.

“Yes, but you ponies will be facing difficult times,” Chrysalis said. “Nightmare Moon may be gone, but you’re a long way from reclaiming your home. Once my soldiers have recovered their strength, we’ll return to Zebrica for the time being.”

Scootaloo wasn’t sure what to make of this decision, but she could tell she wouldn’t have much say in the matter. “Thanks for your help,” Scootaloo said, extending a hoof, which the changeling queen reluctantly accepted. “Let’s just remember this day in the future and not forget where our loyalties should lie.”

Chrysalis nodded. “I hope all of us will do the same.”

The party proceeded smoothly, though Scootaloo decided to distance herself from the festivities. Gilda found her observing the party from a low-floating cloud in the early evening. “What’s up, Scoots?”

“Just thinking.”

“Thinking?” Gilda gave her a playful shove. “Come on, Scoots. We finally won. We’ve earned a party.”

Scootaloo smiled. “I know.”

Gilda settled on the cloud beside her. “All right, I’ll bite. What’s the matter?”

“Nothing,” Scootaloo replied. “It’s just weird being back here after all this time.”

Gilda sighed. “Yeah, I don’t have a lot of fond memories of this place.”

“I do.”

Gilda noticed the pegasus’s frown and gave her a nudge. “You know, I heard Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom talking about visiting Ponyville.”

“Really?”

Gilda nodded. “I think Sweetie Belle thought it would help her with her magic or something.”

“Did they say when?”

“Right now, I think.”

Scootaloo thought for a moment. “I’m going to see if I can find them,” she said as she got to her hooves.

“Don’t stay out too late,” Gilda replied. “We’ve got a ton of snow to melt tomorrow.”

Scootaloo shot her a sideways glance. “When did you get so responsible?”

“When I had to come save your tail from the Shadowbolts,” Gilda replied. “You’re good, Scoots, but you’re not five-Shadowbolts-at-once good.”

“Is that a challenge?”

The two stared at each other for a moment before bursting into laughter. “I’ll miss you, Gilda.”

“You too, Scoots.”

Scootaloo walked to the edge of the cloud and spread her wings. “I’ll see you in the morning. Don’t get too drunk.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Gilda watched the orange pegasus kick off the cloud and glide away. “Take care of yourself, kid.”