• Published 1st Oct 2012
  • 1,167 Views, 57 Comments

The Last Crusade - Scribblestick



A tyrant has ruled for a decade. A crusading trio sets out to stop her.

  • ...
3
 57
 1,167

Now or Never

Now or Never

Apple Bloom had to wake Scootaloo up in the morning to let her know that everyone else had already gathered at town hall. Scootaloo thanked her friend—at least, she was pretty sure she thanked her—and mentally reviewed what Glade had told her the previous evening as she prepared for the day’s negotiations. After chewing her out for abandoning the nest, he’d explained Gilda’s intention of assaulting Canterlot with the help of Scootaloo’s army. He hadn’t shared the details of Gilda’s plan, and Scootaloo didn’t press him. They were both tired, and she figured it would be best if he explained the griffon’s strategy in front of everyone.

“We have a hundred or so soldiers at your disposal,” Glade said. He and his companion—oddly enough, the recruit Scootaloo had humiliated on his first day at the nest—were seated between Braeburn and the changelings, a position neither of them seemed to like very much. Zecora was conspicuously absent. “Commander Gilda and I recommend deploying our soldiers as air support. You don’t seem to have many pegasi in your ranks, and our griffons will be able to complement you best from the sky.”

“I agree, Colonel,” Scootaloo replied. A part of her still couldn’t believe Gilda was bringing the Nest to help, and the other part was busy celebrating. “What do you think, your majesty?”

“My drones can take whatever form necessary,” Chrysalis replied. “Tell me, Colonel, how do you propose coordinating our attack with the Nest? General Scootaloo informed us that we currently have no means of communicating directly.”

“And I wouldn’t count on messengers,” Apple Bloom added. “Equestria is crawling with Shadowbolts, and Nightmare Moon could launch an attack any day.”

Colonel Glade raised an eyebrow at the yellow mare. “Seems my old sergeant found herself quite the little spy.” Apple Bloom stared evenly back at him. “If our situation is really as desperate as you make it out to be, I think our best option is to strike hard and fast. What I need to know from you is how you plan to get to Nightmare Moon.”

“We’ll draw Nightmare Moon out of Canterlot with a decoy,” Apple Bloom explained. “We will then use Zecora’s potion to weaken her and strip her of her powers.”

“What kind of decoy?”

“I will assume the form of Equestria’s former ruler, Princess Celestia,” said Chrysalis. “Given the history between Celestia and Nightmare Moon, this should be enough to lure her out into the open.”

“And I’ll be there to make sure it is,” Apple Bloom added.

Glade looked at her again. “And how do you plan to do that?” he asked.

“Apple Bloom has her ways,” Scootaloo answered. She didn’t know how Glade would react if he found out Apple Bloom was a double agent, and she didn’t want to risk wasting time trying to calm him down. “I will lead the attack with Gilda’s help. Our primary objective will be to keep the Shadowbolts from overwhelming Chrysalis while she distracts Nightmare Moon.”

“And how will you administer the potion?” Glade asked.

“All of us will be carrying blowpipes with poison-tipped darts,” Scootaloo said. “If any of us get a clear shot at Nightmare Moon, we take it.”

“Once we strip her of her powers, she’ll be practically defenseless,” Apple Bloom finished. “The Shadowbolts rely on her magic for survival. Once we take that away, her army will crumble, and she’ll be at our mercy.”

Glade nodded. “When do you plan to march on Canterlot?”

There was a moment of silence before Braeburn spoke up. “That depends on when the queen feels we’re ready.”

All eyes turned to Chrysalis. “I’ve already stated my conditions,” she said. “I must have a strong pony army at my side.”

“We’ve done the best we can,” Scootaloo said for what felt like the thousandth time. “What more can you ask?”

“You seem to forget, General, that I will be facing Nightmare Moon head-on,” said Chrysalis. “If you army can’t hold back the Shadowbolts, I do not see this battle ending well for me or my hive.”

“Your majesty, the griffon soldiers are powerful allies,” Scootaloo said. “Whatever faults you see in my army are more than made up by the Nest.”

“My commander has absolute trust in you,” Glade added. “I know she’ll stop at nothing to rid the world of Nightmare Moon, and I know our soldiers are up to the task.”

“We may not be the best army in the world, but we’re willin’ to give it all we got,” said Braeburn, puffing out his chest a little. “You can count on us, your majesty.”

Chrysalis was silent for a moment. “And if we wait?”

“Then Nightmare Moon will only get stronger,” Apple Bloom replied. “The longer we wait, the harder it will be to take her down.”

Chrysalis closed her eyes and let out a long sigh. “Very well,” she said. “How soon can your griffons meet us at Canterlot?”

“A week,” Glade answered. “As long as this recruit can keep up with me, that is.”

“Yes, sir,” Garret said.

“Then it’s settled,” Scootaloo said. “In one week, we meet in Canterlot and put an end to Nightmare Moon. Any questions?” There were none, and the council adjourned.

Colonel Glade lagged behind as the others began to leave. “Well, sergeant, I have to hand it to you,” he said. “When Gilda told me you were planning to attack Canterlot, I thought you’d gone crazy.”

“Maybe we have,” Scootaloo said as she thought of her allies—a pony army fresh out of training, a changeling hive, a hundred griffons—and sighed. “But if we don’t end this soon, it’ll only get worse.”

Colonel Glade nodded. “Well, one way or another, it’ll all be over soon. Let’s hope it turns out in our favor.” The colonel gestured for Garret to follow him, and the two exited and took flight.

“Good luck,” Scootaloo murmured.

“What are your orders, General?” Scootaloo turned to see Braeburn standing beside her.

“Tell everypony we’re moving out,” she replied. “Gather provisions and sharpen the weapons. We leave a dawn tomorrow.”