• Published 1st Oct 2012
  • 1,166 Views, 57 Comments

The Last Crusade - Scribblestick



A tyrant has ruled for a decade. A crusading trio sets out to stop her.

  • ...
3
 57
 1,166

Shift

Shift

Scootaloo felt as though she had slipped into a dream. Everypony knew Equestria’s former ruler was dead. Everypony knew the dark princess had defeated her. And yet, here she was, standing before her, a soft smile playing on her lips, her multi-colored mane flowing in the breeze. Her white coat seemed to glow in the moonlight, and even here, in the middle of a jungle, she looked just as regal as Scootaloo had always imagined.

“Come with me,” the alicorn said—Scootaloo couldn’t quite bring herself to think her name—as she turned and led them deeper into the jungle. “How is Zecora, Apple Bloom?”

“Well enough,” Apple Bloom answered. “You were right about her zebra pox. That remedy fixed her up in no time.”

“I’m glad to hear it,” the alicorn replied. “Zecora has been more than kind to us. I found it only fitting to return the favor.”

“And how are you, your majesty?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Oh, you know how it goes,” the alicorn said with a sigh. “It’s hard to find food without being spotted my some pony or zebra, but we find enough.”

“We?” Scootaloo repeated.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I don’t believe we’ve met,” the alicorn said gently, turning to look at the pegasus. “I am Princess Celestia, former ruler of Equestria.”

“Scootaloo,” the pegasus replied. “Of the Griffon’s Nest. Your majesty.”

“Griffon’s Nest, you say? I hope you didn’t run into any problems on your way through Equestria,” the princess said.

“Nothing we couldn’t handle, your majesty,” the pegasus answered, feeling a pang of guilt as her thoughts turned once again to Spike. Still, the thrill of seeing the princess alive and well made her heart begin to race. “Where have you been? Everypony I’ve talked to told me you were dead.”

“Did they?” The princess chuckled. “Well, that’s good to know.”

“Why?” Scootaloo asked. “Aren’t you supposed to protect us from ponies like Nightmare Moon?”

“Yes, but it isn’t that simple,” the princess replied with a sigh. “You see, Nightmare Moon’s powers are greater than my own. I can’t defeat her, and if she knew I was still alive, she would hunt me down mercilessly. Who knows how many innocent bystanders would be hurt?”

“But couldn’t you lead ponykind against her?” Scootaloo pressed. “I’m sure there are plenty of ponies who would help.”

The princess shook her head. “Not even my royal guards could stop her.”

“But Equestria needs you,” Scootaloo said. “I mean, who knows how many have suffered and died since she took over?”

“Perhaps, but I cannot change the past,” the princess said. “I can only change the future, which I hope to do once Zecora perfects her latest potion. Speaking of which,” she added as she came to a stop, “I believe this will do.”

Scootaloo couldn’t tell what was so special about this patch of jungle, but before she could ask, she saw several glowing, blue eyes watching them from the shadows. “Um, what are those?”

“One of our greatest assets, my young pegasus,” the princess replied as the eyes drew closer. Scootaloo recoiled a little when one of them stepped into the lantern’s circle of light. Its jet black body was vaguely pony-shaped, but it was covered in holes. Its teeth were sharp, and it bore a jagged horn on its head. It stood there, buzzing its gossamer wings softly as three more of the creatures drew near. “They’re called changelings,” the princess explained. “They were enemies of Equestria in former years, but a common enemy has forced us to make peace.”

Scootaloo had heard legends of the changelings from some of the griffon soldiers back at the Nest, but she’d never believed them until now. The four changelings bowed to the alicorn, who nodded her head in response. Apple Bloom reached into her vest and pulled out her blowpipe. “What do they have to do with the potion?” Scootaloo asked.

“It’s their magic,” Apple Bloom replied. As if on cue, the changelings’ horns flashed with a green light, and a moment later, four ponies stood in their places. “Nightmare Moon can shapeshift, just like the changelings. We know from what happened with Sweetie Belle that this potion will stop pony magic, but we need to make sure it stops changeling magic, too.”

“You tested it on Sweetie Belle first?” the princess asked, her eyes widening a little. “You've never done that before.”

“It was kind of an accident,” Apple Bloom said before putting the blowpipe to her lips. She let out a quick breath, and a moment later, a small dart pierced the nearest changeling’s neck. The changeling jerked back and growled. A moment later, the creature shuddered, and with another flash of light, it returned to its normal, bug-like self.

“Looks like it works,” Apple Bloom observed while the other three changelings stared at their companion in surprise. Scootaloo looked up at the princess and saw her smiling.

“Well done, my little pony,” said the alicorn. Apple Bloom walked over to the stunned changeling and examined it while the other three backed away, hissing softly. “How long do the potion’s effects last?”

“I’m not completely sure,” Apple Bloom answered, peering into the changeling’s eyes. “Sweetie Belle hadn’t woken up when I left, but like I said, that was an emergency case.”

“I see. I suppose we’ll have to watch this drone, then,” the princess said. The words had barely left her mouth when the drone let off a green flash and assumed its pony disguise for a brief second. “It looks like it’s already beginning to wear off,” the princess observed.

“That should give us more than enough time,” Apple Bloom replied. “Besides, that was a small dose. After what happened with the last drone, I thought it would be safer.”

“Do you have a full dose with you?” the princess asked.

“Yeah, why?”

The princess furrowed her brow for a moment. “I want you to use it on me.”

Scootaloo gasped and looked at Apple Bloom, whose mouth hung slightly agape. “But your majesty—”

“Do not argue with me,” the princess said. “Unicorns and drones are one thing, but Nightmare Moon is something else entirely. I am the closest thing we have to Nightmare Moon. Using it on me will give you the best idea possible of how it will affect our enemy.”

Apple Bloom looked uncertain, but she reached into her vest and withdrew another blowpipe. “You’re sure the drones won’t try anything?” she asked.

“They won’t if they know what’s good for them,” the princess replied, shooting the drones a stern look.

“All right, then,” Apple Bloom said, raising the pipe to her mouth. “Here goes nothin’.” One quick breath later, the princess winced a little as a dart pierced her neck. Scootaloo wasn’t sure what to expect, but a bright green flash wasn’t it. After the spots cleared from her eyes, she found herself looking not on Equestria’s former ruler, but a very tall changeling with a dull green mane that hung limply from her head.

The orange pegasus couldn’t help but scream as the monstrous changeling turned her bright green eyes towards her. “Surprised?” she asked, her voice suddenly deeper and more ominous.

“Who—what—where’s the princess?” Scootaloo stammered.

“Sorry to startle you,” the changeling said. “I am Chrysalis, queen of the changelings.”

“But—you—what?”

“She was pretendin’ to be Princess Celestia,” Apple Bloom explained, stowing the blowpipe inside her vest.

“Why?”

“Practice,” the changeling queen replied with a less-than-comforting smile. “Did I fool you?”

“That wasn’t very funny!” Scootaloo shouted. The channeling drones bristled at her outburst, but Chrysalis stilled them with a wave of a holey hoof.

“It wasn’t supposed to be,” Apple Bloom replied. “Like I told you, Nightmare Moon fears Princess Celestia more than anything else.”

“And we will use that fear to our advantage,” Chrysalis continued. “Together, we can rid our world of Nightmare Moon before she rids it of us.”

“But I thought you said the changelings were our enemies,” Scootaloo said as her mind tried to catch up with recent events. “That’s what the griffons always said, at least. Never trust a changeling.”

“We were,” Chrysalis agreed. “Ten years ago, I was planning to sneak an army into Canterlot and take control of Equestria. We changelings feed on love, and Equestria was the biggest source of love we’ve ever discovered.”

“Exactly!” Scootaloo said, surprised that the queen was being so open. “So what’s changed?”

“Quite simply, there’s no more Equestria,” the changeling queen replied. “Nightmare Moon’s reign has all but eliminated that particular food source. From what Apple Bloom has told me, she plans to extend her kingdom over Zebrica as well, and we changelings will lose what meager sources of love we can find. Our only chance of survival is to destroy Nightmare Moon before she destroys us.”

“And what’s to stop you from taking over Equestria after that?” Scootaloo asked, trying to remember everything she’d ever heard about the shapeshifters. “You just need us for food.”

“That’s true,” Chrysalis agreed, “but if there’s one thing I’ve learned from Nightmare Moon’s actions, it’s that it’s never a good idea to destroy your source of power. My drones and I lived undetected among the ponies for years, and we can do it again without causing any problems. We are willing to try living in peace with ponykind. Our only other option is extermination.”

“And what’s in it for us?”

“This plan can’t work without them, Scoots,” Apple Bloom said. “We’ll never get this potion anywhere near her if we don’t distract her, and this is the best shot we have. Queen Chrysalis has been more than helpful so far, and I think we can trust her.”

Scootaloo eyed the changeling queen warily. Every bit of griffon lore she’d heard told her the changelings couldn’t be trusted, yet here was their queen, willingly allowing herself to be stripped of her powers, however temporarily, and put herself in danger in order to free Equestria from its tyrannical ruler. Sure, she was only trying to protect her kind, but at the moment, the queen’s goals matched up pretty well with her own. “You’re really going to help us?” she asked.

“Of course,” the queen replied. “Provided, of course, that you ponies do your part.”

“Our part? And what’s that?”

Queen Chrysalis smiled. Scootaloo guessed it was supposed to be friendly, but it still sent chills down her spine. “It seems we still have some things to discuss,” she said.

“I just hope Braeburn’ll listen to reason,” Apple Bloom muttered. “Listen, I gotta go get my cousin. I’ll meet you and the queen back at Zecora’s hut, okay?”

“What?” Scootaloo frowned at her friend. “How do I get back there?”

“Just follow the queen. She knows the way,” Apple Bloom answered before disappearing into the jungle.

“Shall we?” Chrysalis asked.

“I guess,” Scootaloo replied, picking up the lantern in her mouth.

“Very well.” The tall changeling began walking away, her four guards close behind. After a moment’s hesitation, Scootaloo followed as well.