• Published 25th Mar 2022
  • 339 Views, 7 Comments

Daughters of Liberty - SonicSpeedster97



Time for a history lesson as the Mane 7 are launched by Twilight's newest invention back in time to the American Revolution.

  • ...
2
 7
 339

This is Intolerable!

Author's Note:

Historic Event: Intolerable Acts

It had been a long three months since the girls had barely escaped punishment for being at the Boston Tea Party, and they were still hiding out at the Wheatly residence. With the British army essentially holding the city of Boston hostage, Applejack had been unable to find a new axle for their wagon, so they were forced to hide out and do their best to blend in in the harbor-city… especially when Sunset and Rainbow saw something happening at the harbor itself.

Quickly, they ducked down behind a large stack of crates nearby and watched as large ships all moored and allowed company after company of British soldiers onto the docks. “Man. That’s gotta be the entire British army.” Rainbow remarked. “But what’re they doing?”

Sunset wasn’t sure until she saw some of the soldiers setting up a sign. “I think I know.” And sure enough, the sign said, “Boston Harbor Closed by the order of Parliament!”, which made Sunset scowl. “I don’t believe this. Punishing an entire town for the actions of a small mob?”

“It wasn’t exactly small.” Rainbow corrected.

“Still though.” Sunset shrugged. “Cmon, we’ve gotta get back to the stable and write this down; the Gazette’s gonna catch fire with news like this.” No argument given; the two friends dashed back to their new hideout.

When they arrived, they found the others waiting for them. “What took you guys so long? And where’re those groceries?”

“No time for that; listen, the entire British army just landed at the harbor, and it’s closing down,” Sunset explained.

Twilight was astounded. “Oh, of course! I totally forgot about this,” she remarked. “We’ve gotta get to the Gazette.”

“Well then, today’s our lucky day.” Applejack smiled as she finished attending to the wagon. “I’ve got the axle replaced; let’s get a move-on.”

“Don’t need to tell us twice. Everyone load up.” Sunset ordered as the girls all barreled into the wagon.

Phillis opened the gate and allowed the girls out to the streets as they slowly made their way out. “Many thanks again, Ms. Wheatly, for letting us stay here. And for allowing me to read your poetry; it was magnificent.” Rarity assured.

“Think nothing of it, ma’am.” Ms. Wheatly assured. “Just make sure you aren’t caught.”

“No need to worry about that.” Applejack smiled. “Hope to see ya again soon. Yah!” With a crack of the reins, the wagon was sent thundering out of Boston.


Another long ride later, they arrived in Philadelphia and immediately started printing, telling the people of Pennsylvania exactly what was happening in Boston, telling of armed platoons marching the streets and the entire harbor shut down, even using the name they’d recently learned it was going by in Parliament; the Boston Port Act.

As a result, the outrage Sunset felt at the sight of the harbor closing and the city under siege was echoed across the colonies. But what caused even more outrage was when the girls heard in late May that another two acts had been passed. “The Massachusetts Government Act?” Rarity asked when Twilight brought the message about them back to the office.

“It just went public down here; Massachusetts’ municipal charter has been revoked and all offices are filled by the British government. And limits the number of state meetings to one every year, unless the governor calls otherwise.” Twilight explained, resulting in a mountain of outrage from the girls.

“That’s ridiculous!” Sunset balked. “How could they allow something like that?”

“How couldn’t they?” asked Applejack. “They’re the government.”

“And to be fair, from their perspective, we are criminals now.” Rarity reminded.

“Don’t start defending them, Rachel; they almost shot me off that boat, remember?” Rainbow reminded.

“Well, I’m afraid that’s not the worst of it.” Twilight brought up. “Another act was passed the other day; the Administration of Justice Act.”

“Lemme guess; officers get off scot-free?” asked Sunset.

“Worse; if the governor doesn’t think they’ll get a fair trial in Massachusetts, they can be sent somewhere else in the Empire.” Twilight explained. “And witnesses don’t get reimbursed for their travel expenses.” Another mountain of great outrage was prompted by this statement.

“Oh, this is absolutely intolerable!” Rarity scowled.

“That’s why the colonies are calling them the Intolerable Acts.” Twilight explained. “Either way, I say we should try to get some quotes on these acts from people around the colonies.”

“Good call. Let’s split up and start asking.” Rainbow smiled as they moved across the nation.


Rarity endeavored to move as far from town as Virginia, where she knew she could find a good quote… at a large familiar estate. She’d made an appointment with the owner on the way down and was gladly welcomed by a doorman when she arrived. “Rachel Belle; Pennsylvania Gazette. I believe the colonel is expecting me.”

“Certainly.” the doorman nodded as he just saw the man in question walking to the back. “Sir, the reporter from the Gazette is here to see you.”

“Ah, thank you Jones.” the man smiled as he stepped forward. “Ms., uh… Belle, wasn’t it?”

“The same.” Rarity smiled as she gave a respectful curtsy. “Great pleasure to meet you, Colonel Washington.”

And sure enough, this subject of her interview was none other than Lt. Colonel George Washington; hero of the French and Indian War and soon-to-be general and president. “The pleasure’s all mine, I assure you. Please, come in; we can speak in the parlor.” Nothing more was said on the matter as they made their way to the parlor. “Can I offer you a drink?”

“Thank you, no; I would prefer to get straight to the interview.” Rarity shrugged.

The colonel waved his servant out as he sat down. “Ah yes, these newly passed ‘Intolerable Acts’. A very apropos name for them, I must say; very well-coined.” he assured. “In fact, if I may say so, this- what was it; ‘Administration of Justice Act’? Ought to be called the Murder Act; it’s far more accurate.”

“How do you mean?” asked Rarity.

“I mean, Ms. Belle, that this act allows British soldiers in Massachusetts to get away with anything – even murder – and escape justice scot-free,” George explained.

“My friends and I have heard other citizens say it’s unnecessary considering that trial after the Boston Massacre.” Rarity noted.

“Well then, my dear, your friends are speaking with some very intelligent people.” the colonel noted. “I understand several friends of your master Dr. Franklin are calling for some manner of reprisal for this madness.”

“Yes, but so far, none of them have really gotten much in the way of support.” Rarity noted. “Though I understand a certain attorney from Virginia is garnering some support. A Mr. Henry?”

“Yes, Patrick Henry; I’ve heard several of his speeches on the matter,” George noted. “And to be perfectly honest, some of his rhetoric is starting to make a semblance of sense to me.”

“I see. Well, thank you very much, Colonel. I believe that answers everything I needed to know.” Rarity smiled.

“Are you quite certain?” the colonel asked as the two stood. “I haven't given many interviews, but I must say this was fairly short in terms of them.”

“Well, I will be asking several other people in Virginia, but yes sir; that’s all I needed from you.” Rarity smiled. “Though I must say, you’ve been a wonderful host, and quite a pleasant interview.”

“Well, in that case, I suppose I’ll just say thank you and that I hope we meet again,” George noted.

“A feeling which I assure you is mutual, colonel. Good day and farewell.” Rarity smiled as she left, pleased to have gotten an interview and quote from a man like Washington.


The next month, yet two more acts had been passed, one forcing colonists to allow soldiers into their homes to sleep, eat, and have their clothes cleaned without a single coin paid to the homeowners, and another expanding the northern Province of Quebec into much of the continental midwest, both of which the girls published without fail. All these Intolerable Acts, as the girls had ensured they came to be known as, only strengthened the colonists’ resolve to do something about the invading British soldiers, regardless of risk.