• Published 17th Jul 2021
  • 637 Views, 2 Comments

Sunset Shimmer: The Age of Fire - StardustSprinkle



After the battle with Midnight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer is sent to a strange world.

  • ...
3
 2
 637

Prologue: Ashen One

"Hello? Hi!" Gerirat tosses a rock at the guard: "I'm hungry!"

The guard did not respond.

"Another one turned hollow..." Gerirat lies down on the ground. It has been a long time since he last saw the light of day. He's a theft, a petty theft. Ages ago, Gerirat was caught by a guard while stealing from a king and was locked up ever since. At first, the guards gave him food and water. As time goes by, the guards lost their humanity and became zombie-like creatures. They no longer respond to his speeches and no longer provide him food. It is ok, Gerirat thinks: I'm undead as well. I cannot die! Yet, if I just stay here and do nothing, it will be a matter of time before becoming one of them. I can't become like that! I need to see Loretta, my dear Loretta! Just wait for me, and I will get out in no time!

The sound of explosives almost sent the scheming theft through the roof as his cell is now filled by smoke. The zombie guards start to gather, and they are fighting an intruder! Who could that be, though? Gerirat tries to keep calm: Patches? That lad owes him a favor, but...

The sounds of footsteps approach as the last of hollow soldiers fall. The air is now filled with strange sparks that a person would see next to a bonfire. As smoke fades, a young woman inserts a key and unlocks the door.

"Are you still human?" the lady asks with a warm tone.

"You are no jailer, are you?" Gerirat studied the lady in front of him: "No, you are from far away!"

"How do you know that?" the lady asks: "I'm Sunset Shimmer, by the way."

"Sunset! Yes, I've seen a lot of people in my time! You are surely a nice person!" Gerirat complements.

"There are no humans left, so you'd better find somewhere else to stay," Sunset turns around.

"I have a favor to ask of you!" Gerirat begs while holding a ring with a beautiful sapphire on it: "Please, this ring belongs to an old woman named Loretta, and she lives in the Undead Settlement. If you do me this favor, I will forever be in your debt!"

"Look," Sunset gets down on one keen, bring herself to the same height as the theft: "I can help, but you won't be in my debt, ok?"

"But..." Gerirat doesn't know what to reply. This Sunset just walks around and helps people? Without asking anything for return? It doesn't make any sense! No, she's hiding something! She must be!

"Are you ok?" Sunset asks with a concerned look: "You are zoning out a bit."

"Ah, yes! My apologies, I- I am not asking for charity. In fa- in fact, if you do this for me... I'll be sure to repay you in kind. I-I may be a petty thief, but I've more wits than most royalty. What do you say, then?" Gerirat offers.

"Look," Sunset sighs, knowing that the man in front of her is not used to such kindness: "If that puts your mind at ease, then so be it, but there's no need to push yourself."

"Very well. I humbly place my faith in you. I am Greirat of the Undead Settlement, and I promise to assist you. Give this ring to old Loretta at the base of the High Wall. Do your part, and I'll do mine." Greirat says before vanishing.

"Wait!" Sunset shouts, but the theft is already gone: "Where am I going to meet you?"


So this is where she lives! Greirat thinks as he enters a giant building with five thrones and a bonfire in the middle.

"Greetings," a woman with long silver hair and a beautiful sliver blinder asks after giving the theft a slight bow: "Are you here in serves of the Ashen One?"

"Ashen One, yes!" Gerirat lied: "Indeed, may I have a place in this house?"

"Of course," the woman says.

Years of hiding in the dark then compelled the short man to find a dark corner where light cannot shine. There, he waited. So that Sunset is blessed with the power of fire! Gerirat thinks: I don't know what an 'Ashen One' is, but they are individuals blessed by the First Flame with a new life, correct? How curious.

"Gerirat?" Sunset calls for the man from afar: "The Fire Keeper told me that you are in here!"

"Indeed!" Gerirat tries to keep his voice down, another habit he accumulated after years of sneaking around.

"Look," Sunset approaches the theft before kneeling and hand Gerirat a piece of bone: "I'm sorry, that's all that is left of Loretta."

"Ah...ah...so she's already dead..." Gerirat takes the bone, his hands shaking as his voice starts to crack: "Well, I'm not surprised! Thank you for the favor. The ring, you can keep it!"

"Gerirat," Sunset gives the man a worried look.

"No worries, you did me a favor!" The old man tries to cover the grief in his voice as his face is covered in a blue mask.

"You need this more than I," Sunset gently lay the ring in front of the theft before putting a bag of coins next to it: "You are an old man, take this. It should last you a while."

"Thank you..." Gerirat curls into a ball. His body jerks as the theft uncontrollably weeps. This is the first time in years since someone shows him kindness.

"I...will be back soon," Sunset stands up, somehow feeling guilty for falling the stranger before her eyes: "Sorry." She says before turning around and leave.

"Be safe!" the old man shouts: "Goodbye!"

"Ashen One," the Fire Keeper greets as Sunset enters the Throne Room.

"Say, Fire Keeper," Sunset wipes the tears off of the corner of her eye: "Is there...anything I can do for you?"

"Please, stay safe," the Fire Keeper says: "That is all I ask for."

"Do you have loved ones?" Sunset asks as the cry of Gerirat echoes in her brain.

"That is unnecessary for the linking of fire," the Fire Keeper says in a polite tone.

"I see," Sunset sighs: "Sorry, just asking. I figured it would be nice if I can help those who need it."

"You are very gentle," the Fire Keeper replies.

"By the way, have you seen an old man with a turtle shell on his back?" Sunset asks: "His name is Yoel, and I just want to make sure that everything is alright."

"Of course," Fire Keeper points towards a cave: "He should be inside."

"Thank you!" Sunset runs off to greet yet another stranger.

"Be careful," Fire Keeper mumbles as Sunset's footstep grows distant.

"She sure is something!" a dwarf on one of the thrones says: "She's the nicest lady I've ever met!"

"And her kindness will be her undoing," the Fire Keeper says with a cold tone.