• Published 22nd Jul 2021
  • 407 Views, 4 Comments

A Sunset's Tale - FieryUnicorn42



Sunset Shimmer thought that she finally had a perfect life: family, friends, and she even was on good terms with Princess Celestia, but one day everyone but her, suddenly forgets about Equestria and magic. This is the story of her quest for answers.

  • ...
 4
 407

Chapter 1

Sunset woke and saw that she was on what she supposed to be a hospital bed. The last thing she remembers is that she was walking through the school corridors when felt suddenly dizzy and her vision goes blurry. She sits and saw Trixie sleeping on a chair in one of the room's corners.

"Hey, Trix? Trixie?"

Trixie rubbed her eyes

"Hey, you're awake."

"Yeah. How that hell I got here?"

"You passed out on the school, and when nurse Redheart can't wake you, principal Luna called an ambulance."

"I'm better to go back, I don't wanna worry anyone."

Sunset saw a worried look on Trixie's face.

"What's wrong? How long I'm here?"

"Is Sunday, Sunset. You were unconscious for almost three days."

"What? three days!!!"

"Yes. After they bring you here, the doctors examined you and said that your vitals are normal, but you didn't respond to stimulus, so, I, the principals, and the girls are taking turns to be with you since Thursday. Principal Celestia left some hours ago."

"Why on earth I was unconscious for three days?"

"We don't know, but I'm so glad that you finally woke!" Trixie wasn't even trying to hide her excitement when started to run out the door.

"Stay here, I'll call the doctor to see you."

"Don't worry, I can barely feel my legs, so I won't run away. And, Trix?"

"Yes?"

"Could you please call the girls and say that I woke?"

"Sure, Sunset."

Trixie leaves the room, and in the meantime, Sunset's body started to wake as well. She sits and move her legs

"Hey guys, you finally woke."

Less than five minutes later, Trixie returned with the doctor and they find Sunset standing next to the window

"Miss Shimmer, you are supposed to stay on the bed."

"Sup, doc! Don't worry, I'm feeling pretty well."

"Well, I have to ask you to sit on your bed, so I could exam you."

Minutes later, the doctor finishes examining Sunset and makes some notes in her chart.

"Apparently, you are totally fine, miss Shimmer. But we can't find what caused you to pass out, so I'll put you in observation for the rest of the day and if you stay stable, I'll let you leave the hospital in the morning."

"Thanks, doc."

"I'll call principal Celestia and let her know that you're awake."


The next morning, Sunset is in principal Celestia's car, on her way home.

"Thanks again."

"You don't have to thank me, Sunset is my duty assures that you're fine. I just wanna know what caused you to pass out. Are you following the diet that the nutritionist gave to you? are you sleeping well?"

"Yeah, 'mommy', I'm doing everything right."

"I see that your sense of humor is intact, so I guess you are fully recovered."

"I guess so."

"Anyway, since we don't know what happened, I'll spend some days with you."

"You have to be kidding."

"Sunset, no one passes out without a reason."

"I'm totally fine"

"You were unconscious for three days, have you any idea about how worried I was?"

"Yeah, but I'm fine now, I don't need a babysitter."

"I care about you, Sunset..."

"I know, but you heard the doctor, I'm fine now."

"You didn't respond to any stimulation..."

"I'm fine..."

"SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH, SUNSET!"

Sunset stopped talking. Celestia had never cursed or yelled at her, not even when she was still the old Sunset. She looked at Celestia and saw the princess yelling at her just before she crossed the portal. For the first time, she felt afraid of the principal, something that she thought Celestia, at least the human one, would never make her feel.

Celestia stopped the car and looked at Sunset, her daughter in all but blood, a girl that she loves more than herself, the same lost girl that less than two years ago she promised to protect, and saw a scared look in their eyes, which makes she felt like the worst person in the world.

"I'm sorry, Sunset, I'm so sorry for shouting at you. You hadn't done anything wrong, and even so, I shouted at you and I beg your pardon for this. I was so worried about you, I thought that I will lose you, that you would never wake."

Sunset doesn't need her geode to read Celestia's emotions, the principal was scared too, even more than her. She gently grabbed Celestia's hand between hers and smiled.

"I'm fine, mom. Sorry for making you worry."

Celestia opened her seatbelt and so did Sunset and they hugged.

"I was so scared, I thought that I would lose you."

"I'm here, and I'll never leave you."


In Sunset's apartment, Celestia goes to the kitchen to make something for lunch, while Sunset goes to her room. She grabs her journal and sees that there were no new messages from princess Twilight, she stranges a bit, but having no messages from her friend isn't something new, so she changed her clothes and goes to the living room to play Tirek's Revenge.

After lunch, Celestia goes to the market, leaving Sunset alone for some hours, she then turns on the tv and was about to click the AV button on the remote when a report on TV showing images of a familiar van catches her attention.

... the girls, who were unconscious for the last days after the accident at the intersection of 7th Avenue and the Cristal Highway, woke today and according to the PR from Crystal Bay's Hospital, could go home tomorrow...

"The Dazzlings?"

She quickly grabs her phone and searches their names, finding a report at Canterlot Press, of the day before.

Last Thursday, a van lost control and hit a street lamp at the intersection of 7th Avenue and the Cristal Highway. The occupants of the vehicle, identified as Aria Blaze, Sonata Dusk, and Adagio Dazzle, suffered no major injuries, however, they remain unconscious since the accident...

"This can't be a coincidence. I guess Equestrian magic caused the sirens and I to pass out without reason."


The next morning, she went to the Crystal Bay Hospital to talk with the Dazzlings, but she saw they sat not far from the main entrance before she could enter.

"Hey"

She waved to them but Adagio stand up and began to walk, followed by Aria and Sonata. She ran and the girls seeing this stop.

"What do you want, Shimmer?" Asked Adagio with a sour voice.

"I just wanna talk with you, guys. Only that."

"And who said we wanna talk with you?"

"Aria is right. What gives you the idea that we have anything to talk with you?"

"Actually, I wanna talk with her."

"Agh, shut up, Sonata."

"Hey, this was mean! Why do you have to be so mean to me, Aria?"

"We are evil! how could you forget that!"

"Yeah, but it doesn't mean that you have to be mean with me all the time."

"If you aren't so stupid, maybe I could be nice to you"

"You are the stupidest!"

"Girls, could you please, SHUT YOUR MOUTHS!"

They both stop arguing.

“Sorry, Dagi.” Said Sonata looking to the ground and pulling her jacket’s left sleeve.

Adagio takes a breath and exhales.

“It’s ok, I’m not mad. Just be quiet for a while, okay?”

“kay.”

“Yeah, whatever.” Said Aria pulling out her phone.

“So, Sunset, what do you wanna talk about? We don’t have all day.”

"Your accident. I heard that you three were unconscious for some days after that."

"And..." said Adagio gesturing with her hand to Sunset continue

"Have you passed out before the accident?"

"I was driving when suddenly my vision goes blurry and my head started spinning. The next thing I remember was waking in the hospital. But why are you asking?"

"And you girls, the same happened to you too?"

"I was on Adagio's side when everything goes black all sudden."

"I was playing on my DS and the last thing I recall is that I felt dizzy and then, we were in hospital yesterday."

"It can't be a coincidence. About the same time as your accident, I passed out on the school, and stayed unconscious for almost three days."

"What are you trying to say, Shimmer?"

"Adagio, I think that whatever happened to us was caused by Equestrian magic."

"And that is our problem, because...?"

"Only us, former creatures of Equestria, were affected Aria. I'm afraid that somewhat this world is reacting to us, to our magic."

"Ha, very funny Sunset, but have you forgot that you and your damn friends crashed our gems? Maybe you don't know, but without them, we don't have our magic anymore! Thank you, miss Sunshine!"

"Aria is right. We are just ordinary girls thanks to you Sunset."

"And we don't have our car now, too." pointed Sonata

"Could I ask you a personal question?"

"Could you just go fuck yourself and leave us alone, Sunset?"

Sunset decided to ignore Aria's comment.

"Are you living on that van since the battle of the bands?"

"Why are you so interested now, Sunset? Why you don't just go and leave us alone? Yes, we are homeless, are you happy now?"

"I'm sorry."

"You what?"

Aria stepped forwards Adagio, grabbed Sunset's jacket, pulled the former unicorn closer, and raised her right fist.

"Listen here, Sunset, we don't need your pity. We were perfectly good before you appeared before you and your friends take away everything for us. Even back in Equestria It always was just us three against the world, we don't need you to pretend that you give a shit about us after what you did."

"I'm really sorry, Aria. If punching my face will make you feel a little better, go on, I won't resist."

Aria hesitates, and before she could decide, she felt a hand around her wrist.

"It's, enough." Adagio gently lowers Aria's right hand.

"Whatever, it wouldn't be fun if she didn't fight back." replied Aria, releasing Sunset and sitting on the sidewalk.

"So... what are you propose, Sunset? Buy a new van for us? Or maybe an apartment?"

"You can stay with me, at least until you are able to find your own place."

"Hum, living under the same roof that my enemy. Sounds delightful." pondered Adagio biting the tip of her right index finger with a mischievous smile on the lips

"You can't be serious Adagio, are you really considering it?"

"Have you a better idea? No? That was what I taught. See for this angle: What better way to make her pay for all that we lost than being her roommates?"

"I would like to have a bed again." completed Sonata

"See, we have two yes and one no, so we will live with Sunset. You just don't love democracy?"

"Fine, I go too. But just to you know, Sunset, I still hate you."

"Fair enough."


"Mom, I'm home"

"Wait, you live with your mom?" Aria asked shocked.

"Actually, she is living with me for a while."

"Let me guess, you took this world Sunset's place and was living her life, lying to her mother. Wow, you're really rotten to the core, Sunset."

"There's no this world's Sunset, Adagio, just me." she replied rolling her eyes

"So, who is your mother?"

"Principal Celestia."

Before they could continue to talk, Sunset's phone buzzed.

"Hey, Twi. What's up? Yeah, I'm home already, sorry for not calling you girls yesterday. What? You all are coming here? No, no, there's no problem at all, I should have known that Pinkie would do something like this. See ya, bye."

"So..." asked Aria

"Sounds like we will have a party."

"I wasn't asking about your stupid friends"

"What Aria is trying to say is: How on earth you ended like Celestia's daughter?" clarified Adagio.

"Well, to put that short, she adopted me after realizing that I was alone in this world."

"You didn't even have to brainwash her?"

"No, Sonata, after the fall formal fiasco, we had a hearty conversation and she asked if I wanna live with her, and some months later, I was her daughter."

A knock on Sunset's door announced that her friends had arrived.

"I know you hate my friends and me, but could you girls, please let me explain to them why you three are in my apartment? I promise that this time none rainbow laser will be involved."

Aria looks to Adagio, who answers with a nod while Sonata simply smiles.

"Don't worry, my little Sunset. The girls and I won't bite your friends."

Sonata and Aria sit on the couch, while Adagio goes to the fridge and Sunset opens the door.

Opening the door, she was about to welcome her friends when saw a frozen look on their faces.

"What these two are doing here?" Pointed Rainbow to Aria and Sonata with an angry look on her face.

"Oh, welcome, rainbooms." Said Adagio waving to them.

"Girls, I can explain."

"You better does, sugar cube."

The rainbooms along with Trixie enters Sunset's apartment and Pinkie whispers in Sunset's ear.

"Why you invited these meanies to your house?"

Sunset put a hand on Pinkie's shoulder.

"I'll explain everything in a minute."

With the dazzlings sat on the couch and her friends standing, Sunset take a breath and began to talk.

"The dazzlings are living on their van since the battle of the bands, which was destroyed on an accident days ago, so I offered my house to them stay for a while."

"Are you sure they don't are manipulating you?"

"Yes, Trixie. They don't have any magic left since they lost their pendants, so..."

"What kind of magic they could have? I thought they are singers, not magicians."

"What are you saying, Rarity? Have you forgot how they turned the CHS musical showcase on a battle of bands?"

"I surely remember how they spread gossip and lies around the school to make us fight against each other so they could win the battle of the bands."

"You really don't remember they trying to steal our magic? None of you?"

"Silly Sunset, we don't have any magic, not even Trixie."

"Hey, this was mean!"

"Sorry" replied Pinkie handing a muffin to Trixie.

"You're lucky that Trixie likes your blueberry muffins." said Trixie taking the muffin and giving a bite.

Adagio sits on the couch and Aria points to the rainbooms.

"You think that all this is some kind of prank? How they could forget about the battle of the bands?"

"I don't think is a prank, Aria. I mean Rainbow or Pinkie surely seems capable of this level of prank, but I guess the others, especially the farmer girl or that shy one, wouldn't play along."

"Not to mention that they probably wouldn't do this kind of prank with Sunset."

"So, you and Sonata really think that they forgot about all the magic stuff that happened in CHS?"

"Maybe. Let's hear what they have to say to Sunset."

The three girls keep quiet to listen.

"Ah Sorry Sunset, but we don't have any idea about what are you talking about."

"I'm with AJ. These girls are evil, sure, but I don't think they are some kind of evil witch."

"How could you don't remember? We ponied up and blasted them with the magic of friendship." asked Sunset frustrated.

"Pony what? This is not a thing from that cartoon, you know, Pretty Pony Princess?"

"And you said that you don't watch that thing." said Dash poking Rarity's arm.

"Well, Rainbow, is not my fault that Sweetie Belle and her friends like that show. But I have to admit that they spread a nice message about love and tolerance."

"Girls, focus! Fluttershy, do you remember something? Please say you do."

"I'm sorry Sunset, but I have no idea what are you talking about."

"Twilight, you remember the friendship games, how we fight and you almost destroyed both worlds?"

"I remember that you shouted at me and that later we discover that Cynch was making the Crystal Prep students cheat."

"This can't be true, I'm having a nightmare?"

Before Sunset could think any longer about it, she felt a pinch on her cheek.

"Ouch. It hurt, Pinkie!"

"Well, it means you're awake."

She then grabbed Pinkie's hand and began to head the girl's memory. She promised herself and her friends that she won't read their minds without consent, but this time was really necessary. She went through Pinkie's memories since the Fall formal and find that the memories were altered, any trace of anything that resembled magic was replaced and the memories were rewritten, wiping any mention about Equestria.

Seconds later, she came back and saw Pinkie with a frightened expression on her face.

"... Sunny, please, you're hurting me, I already said that I'm sorry for pinching your cheek."

She releases her friend's arm and takes two steps back, confused.

"Pinkie, I'm... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have grabbed your arm with so much strength. I don't mean to hurt you. Could you forgive me?"

Before she could think, she was embraced so tight that was hard to breathe.

"I'm can't be mad at you Sunny. You are my favorite Sunset after all."

"Thanks, but if you hug me any tighter, you will have to plan my funeral." she said patting Pinkie's side.

Pinkies release her and she is catching her breath when Twilight asks.

"What was all that talking about magic?"

Sunset was still processing what she saw in Pinkie's mind and thought that even if she tried to read any of her friend's minds, she probably would find that their memories were altered too. "keep calm Sunset, just play along for while, and later you try to find what happened."

She doesn't like to lie to her friends, but she also doesn't need them to worry about her, so she put a genuinely confused but still fake smile while replying to Twilight's question.

"Eh, never mind, I guess I'm still a little confuse after that accident, just that."

"Right. So back to the white elephant on the room..."

"I guess they are talking about us. You know we are sirens, not elephants, right?"

"Sonata, please, let Sunset deal with this."

"Sure, Dagi."

"What Twilight here is trying to say is: Are you sure is a good idea to have these three living with you, darling?"

"Rarity, girls. Not long ago, I was the biggest meanie in CHS, but after the fall formal fiasco, you girls give me a chance to be a better person, and I really think that the Dazzlings could be good persons too. So all I ask to you is to have a little faith in me one more time."

Applejack walked closer to her, put a hand in her shoulder, and looking Sunset on eyes, answered.

"I trust you, sugar cube. And if you say these three could be good, I'll stand at ya side. "

All the girls, but Trixie, who stayed silent, agree with AJ.

"Have ya something to say, Trixie?"

"I sure have something to say, Applejack. I say that they owe an apology to the great and powerful Trixie!"

"Come on, Trixie. If they had to say sorry for everyone at the school, it will take an eternity. No offense."

"Not taken, Rainbow. You're right, Trixie, the girls and I are sorry for all the problems that we caused you. Right, girls?"

Aria was taken by surprise with Adagio's behavior, but with a quick look on the elder siren's eyes, she nodded.

"Yeah, we are sorry."

"I'm sorry too." completed Sonata.

"So... this party will happen or not?" asked Adagio

Before she could say something more, Adagio saw a pinkish blur in her peripheral vision, and turning her head, she saw a banner hanging on one of the walls.

WELCOME BACK FROM YOUR COMA, SUNSET.

AND WELCOME TO SUNSET'S HOUSE, DAZZLINGS!

The next thing she saw was Pinkie's eyes centimeters from her face.

"Listen here, Adagio Dazzle. Never, ever, suggest again that I'll plan a party and not throw it. Also, don't even think about hurting my Sunny, or I'll have to take care of you."

Even with Pinkie's bubbly attitude, Adagio felt like the girl was looking through her soul, and for the first time in a long time, she felt insecure, scared, and that feeling send a shiver through her spine. For some reason, all her siren instincts warned her that messing with Pinkie should be a really, really bad idea.

"Yeah, I got it." she replied pushing Pinkie far from her face.

"I'm glad that you understood." said Pinkie still wearing a serious face, who suddenly changed to a joyful smile "Want a piece of cake?"

She then takes the cake that Pinkie pulled out of nowhere.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome"

Pinkie then ran to Sunset's sound system and put on some music.

"Is it me or that girl just threatens you now?"

"Sounded like a threaten, for me." affirmed Sonata before pinking another piece of her cake with a fork.

"It was a threaten, for sure." Adagio looked at the piece of cake that Pinkie gave to her. "For now, let's play along until we find what is happening here."

After putting briefly their differences aside, the Dazzlings could get along well enough with Sunset's friends, and after some hours they ended being not-so-enemies anymore, and as Sunset had thought, Sonata was the easiest to deal with, which made her offer to help Fluttershy in the animal shelter.

Adagio and Aria, on another hand, surely would be a bit more problematic, but nothing that she couldn't deal with.


After the party ended, the Dazzlings plus Sunset are sat on the couch, watching Pretty Pony Princess - The movie. The girls wanted to watch an action movie, but was Sonata's turn to choose the movie, so... and while they won't tell anyone, Aria and Sunset are really enjoying the movie.

About thirty minutes after they started to watch the movie, the apartment door has opened.

"I'm back, Sunset."

Sunset left the couch and hugs Celestia.

"I thought that you decided to leave me alone."

"Not in this life," Celestia replied bopping Sunset's nose after breaking the hug. "I guess you don't saw my message. Pinkie called me saying that they are planning a welcome party for you, so I stayed with Luna to not interrupt, and when she said that the party was over, I came back."

Celestia noted three girls on the couch and raised an eyebrow.

"I thought the girls already left. Are some of you having a sleepover?"

"I think you could say that." said Sunset rubbing her left arm.

"What you did this time, my trouble little girl?" asked Celestia crossing her arms

Sunset saw a sly smile on her mother's lips, she was not really mad, just curious, but Sunset knew that Celestia could be a bit mad when she tells her who was on the couch.

"Mom, before I tell you, I need to say that I love you and I know you love me and that I always try to make you feel proud of me for being a nice person."

"I sure love you, Sunset, but could you please go right to the point? Because I'm starting to worry that you will say that you accidentally killed someone."

Sunset took a deep breath before look into Celestia's eyes to respond.

"I brought the Dazzlings to live with me."

Celestia blinked a few times, and so walked closer to the couch and saw that the Dazzlings are indeed, cozily sat on it and that Sonata and Adagio are sleeping.

Aria looked at her but quickly turned her attention back to the movie.

"Your room, now." Said Celestia to Sunset.

The two sit on Sunset's bed.

"I guess you have a good explanation about this."

"They are living in their van since the battle of the bands, and last week, suffered an accident and the car is in the motor shop, so I said that they could stay with me for a while."

"Why do you think this is a good idea? Don't forget what they did to CHS at the battle of the bands."

"I know they acted like bitches..."

"Language, Sunset."

"Sorry, mom. I know they were mean to us, but I really think that they deserve a chance to try to be good. You didn't turn your back on me when I was trying to make up for my mistakes, trying to be a better person, so I thought that was my time to be a helping hand to someone in need."

Celestia sighed and embraced Sunset.

"I always know that you had a heart of gold, and I'm proud of you. They can stay, this is your house, after all."

"About that..."

"Yes?"

"I need to borrow one of your guest room's beds."

"Sure. I'll send it to you in the morning."

Celestia stands up and began to walk downstairs, followed by Sunset. She waves to Aria while passing through the living room, receiving a middle finger in response.

"Well, seems that you don't have room for me anymore."

"Yeah, sorry about that."

"Nah, it's fine. So my little sunshine needs something more?"

"What about a hug and goodnight kiss?"

"Aren't you a little old for this?" Asked Aria from the couch.

"Could you kindly shut your fucking mouth, Aria? I'm talking with my mom!" Sunset turned to Celestia again. "Sorry, mom, but they get on my nerves."

"Come, here."

Celestia warps her arms around Sunset, and the girl takes the opportunity to touch her mother and read her memories.

Just like with Pinkie, she saw that Celestia's memories were altered and all mentions about Equestria or magic were erased, leaving just ordinary events in the place of all the magical shenanigans that really happened. She felt a kiss on her forehead and opened her eyes.

"You are dismissed from the rest of the week at school. So stay home and be a good host to your guests."

"I'll do my best."