• Published 21st Jan 2021
  • 2,259 Views, 14 Comments

Sunset Young Justice - madhat886



Traveling through the mirror Sunset ends up in the world of DC Young Justice.

  • ...
17
 14
 2,259

Chapter 3

The story of the Mystery Shack quickly spread once the news story broke out. A shop where if you bring something the owner wants, he’ll grant you a wish. Of course, the value of the trade item that is traded is equal to the value of the wish, and how much someone could afford. And what kind of wish they wanted, but the shack had disappeared from where it was before which Superman found out when he went back to find it gone. The only thing he found was the bakery as it was before, empty and abandoned.

The heroes searched around Metropolis and found no trace of the Mystery Shack. The reason why is that the shack had suddenly appeared in Gotham. Which started off how the Mystery Shack would operate, where it be in a city for a couple of days before disappearing and reappearing elsewhere. Or people just suddenly finds themselves standing in front of the shack and once they leave the store, they find that the store isn't there anymore.

In Gotham a little boy with a jar of coins made a trade for a game he wanted, Jeffro in turn told him to just save up and buy it himself. A little girl wanted to have her own pony trading some cookies, Jeffro gave her a toy pony telling her that she would not be able to have a real pony and that the cookies were good but is nowhere near the trade value of a pony. A teenager boy wanted to fix his disfigurement and his deformed hand was made normal. A woman who lost her nose to frostbite thanks to Mr. Freeze had her nose back.

Speaking of the supervillains, a couple of them showed up at the shack. Mr. Freeze traded his suit and his ice gun for him being turned back to normal and for his wife to be well again. Killer Croc paid a lot to be turn normal as well as Clayface, in exchange that they can never commit a crime again or they turn back. The Corrosive Man, Derek Mitchell made the same deal. There is also Dr. Phsphorous Dr. Alex Sartorious who also wanted to be normal again. Same for The Orca, Grace Balin who wanted to be human again.

Other villains also showed up mostly to trade stuff they collect to trade for something they need. Like Elmer Fudd a career criminal, a hired gun paid to eliminate other people’s problems. He has no love for violence but views it as the only way for a guy like him to make it in a world as seedy as Gotham’s. Fudd tried to trade a bunch of stuff he gathered from his hunts but Jeffro wouldn't take the trade. Telling Fudd that while he isn't as bad as some of the other villains, he is still a villain and the only way he would be able to make a deal with him, is if he cleans up his act to an anti-hero. (1)

Of course, some villains tried to get Jeffro to grant their wish by force, like Two-Face, Scarecrow, Mad Hatter, and Zebra-Man, all of whom found themselves in a jail cell at a police station. Which lead to Batman showing up, once he learned what was happening. He studied who came in and out of the shack before making his move.

“He’s waiting for you,” the cashier girl said who didn’t even look at him while she was doing something with her phone.

Batman walk to the back and found Jeffro at his desk waiting for him.

“Hello Bruce Wayne how can I help you out today?” Jeffro ask.

“I want you to stop,” Batman said.

“Stop my trade for something I want for a wish in return? I think not and unlike that other guy Wishmaster or something in that other story, I’m not giving it away for free. You offer me something and make a wish, with the trade item being something of value the wish is granted. Besides I went and cured several of your villains already and made them normal again. Why should I stop?” Jeffro ask.

“People will that advantage of your power,” Batman said.

“They’re welcome to try,” Jeffro said summoning up screen in front of him showing different Batman’s on it. “Like how you’re reading my body to see what you can read off of me. Of course, there are way better Batman’s out there in other worlds. I rather like the Batman with the campy 1960’s setting and more friendly ones who actually freely admit their friends with their team. Of course, those did had other family members who took them in after their parents deaths. Agatha and Philip sister and brother of your father, not to mention the family of your mother. But here they’re the last of their lines. How dull, make it so that you’re the last branch of either family, so that there be nothing holding you back and you be as dark and grim because there was no family member left to take you in. Just raised by that butler Alfred.... now this is interesting.”

“What is it?” Batman ask who been taken aback by hearing that in some worlds he had more family members than his parents.

“I didn’t expect this. You do have a family member, blood related who is still alive. Thomas Wayne, Jr. your older brother by 3 years,” Jeffro said. (2)

“I have a brother?” Bruce asked eyes widening.

“He’s in Willowood Asylum put there by your parents. He suffered a severe head injury when he was struck by a car as a young child, and sustained permanent brain damage. Because he would always remain mentally unstable, and a danger to himself and society, his parents had no choice but to have him confined to a mental institution for life. He adopted the asylum's name, Willowood, as his new surname, as his family name was kept secret. Although your parents had planned to tell you about his long-lost brother when you were old enough, they never got the opportunity as they were murdered by Joe Chill before they could do so. And for everyone else who knew about your brother, they all believe that he died because of the car accident,” Jeffro explains.

“I have a brother?” Bruce said feeling lost.

“He still is mentally unstable and in one world he escapes. Becoming the assassin Boomerang Killer, and one of your worse villains,” Jeffro said. “Of course I can just make him well. For the right trade of course.”

“How do I know you’re telling the truth?” Batman said glaring at him.

“That won’t work on me Bruce. I dealt with the scariest Batman ever, your father who became Batman after you instead him and your mom was shot and killed. Which caused your mother to become that world’s Joker and she’s worse than any other Joker, ever. Then there’s what happen when Flash who had caused that timeline to happen in the first place told your father of the timeline he came from, who in turn told your mother about you,” Jeffro said bringing up a screen playing what happen to Batman.

Martha: Tell me about Bruce. What does he do, after we're dead?

Thomas: He... he follows in his father's footsteps.

Martha: He's a doctor?

Thomas: No.

Martha: Oh God...

Batman closed his eyes as his mother in that world fell down a hole leading to the cave.

“Seeing how you have something’s to deal with and to see if what I told you is true,” Jeffro said and made a portal that leads to Crime Alley and Joe Chill is about to rob the Wayne’s. “And just to show I’m a good sport, here's a chance of stopping the mugging in one of your counterpart’s world. Of course, there won't be a Batman in that world if you do."

Batman didn't say a word as he darted through the portal and just as Joe Chill raised his gun at that universe's Wayne family. Batman rush at Joe Chill who turned around to face him just in time for Batman to punch Joe's face while grabbing and pulling the gun into the air. Batman twist Joe's arm making him drop the gun and a second punch sent Joe flying into the wall of the alleyway. Batman seeing Joe out cold, turns to face his counterpart and his parents. Batman gave them a nod and disappeared into the shadows and going back through the portal.

"That Bruce is a spoiled rich brat like so many other rich kids. What you did has changed the young Bruce's life, who now changes his demeanor and wants to become the 'Bat Creature' who saved them. The Batman will exist, although this time is not because of vengeance, but for a rather inspiring motivation," Jeffro said. (3)

"Thank you," Batman said and left the office and the store.

Author's Note:

1 - Yes Elmer Fudd is a Batman villain. He only had a one shot comic but it still counts.

2 - Yes Thomas Wayne, Jr. is real appearing in Earth 1 and Earth 32. As well in older stories where not all heroes have to be last of their lines, Batman did had uncles and aunts.

3 - There is a comic 'To Kill A Legend' where Batman and Robin do go into another world and save that worlds Bruce's parents.