• Published 25th Mar 2020
  • 528 Views, 3 Comments

The Green Angel - LordOfCringe



After the destruction of her world and the death of half her family, Apple Bloom is thrust into a larger world with powers she doesn't understand. She will try her best to readjust to her new home, and master Casting. The power of a Lighbearer.

  • ...
2
 3
 528

Chapter 8 - Diamond Tiara

My father always said that knowledge was power. It was one of the few things he said to me without my mother present, so I took it to heart. It turns out I was right, these people did have their own internet, or Hypernet as they called it. With access to it, I now had privy to as much knowledge as I could possibly need.

I sit on my cot in the Habitation Area with a Holotablit sifting and sorting through the Hypernet at my leisure. The user interface didn’t have much of a learning curve, it was quite similar to what I was used to, but the vastness of it astounded me. So many places, people, and groups. It was like the depth of my own world’s history was but a mere drop in the ocean in comparison.
It was fascinating.

But try as I might I know I can’t possibly look at everything in a reasonable amount of time. So I focus my attention on the place High Arbiter Shields showed to us in his speech. Albion, my new home.

It was apparently a very important place, a wealthy and powerful ‘Core Verse’ as they called it. But I didn’t care about that now, I can leave Geo-Politics until I actually get there. No, I study her culture instead. I’ll need to fit in after all.
Fortunately for me, I find that it isn’t too far off from my own. The people of Albion, called Brittanics, are very British-like. I wouldn’t even have to learn a new language to communicate with them.

Which made sense, every Crew member I had spoken to so far had spoken perfect English. Several of them even had British accents. So that was good.
It wasn’t one to one British through. From what I can see there were many small differences.

Many were small and inconsequential but others were far larger. Such as well as a very strong reverence for a man named Jose Manrose, a great leader from their past. He was an Arbiter of Light, just like Callum Shields. I suspect that I will be hearing a lot about that particular group of people in the near future.

Before I can get too deep into my research, however, I hear footsteps approach me. I recognize the steps immediately as Randolph’s. I look up from my Holotablit and see him approaching. I can’t help but sigh inwardly.

He has been giving me space for the last couple of days, probably an attempt to win me over. And while the idea of acknowledging him as my guardian now seemed more appealing, I still didn’t want to give in.

He sits down beside me, his hat in his hands. He notices me looking at him and smiles warmly. It was a new expression for him, though one he seemed to take to naturally. A strange thing to think about. I look away quickly back to the Holotablit, though I don’t read any more on it, hoping that he would go away.

“It’s far more lively around here. Why don’t you go looking around?” he says in his deep voice. He was right. Ever since High Arbiter Shield’s speech people had started to move around the ship more. In fact, at most times of the day, the Habitation Area was nearly deserted. A nice change of pace.

All the same, I don’t answer him. So much for giving me space.

“Come on. You’ve had your nose in that thing for hours,” I can feel his smile grow broader “Why don’t you move around more?”

I squirm and adjust myself to get more comfortable. He wasn’t going to leave me alone was he. Perhaps if I ask he will.

“Please go away,” I say, respectfully this time.

“Is there something bothering you?” he says, dashing my hopes of a quick resolution “If there is then you shouldn’t keep it bottled up.”

Something bothering me? Other than all the other crap that’s been happening I was perfectly fine. Nothing was bothering me at all. Absolutely nothing.

“It’s the Apple girl, isn’t it. I saw the way you looked at her earlier,” He states. I breathe in sharply and look back at him, discarding the Holotablit. That would have to wait. He was right, the way my...conversation, with Apple Bloom, went the other day did not sit well with me. Not at all. He looks at me with a knowing gaze “I see, do you want to tell me why?”

No. But I don’t really have any choice, do I? And before I know it I can’t stop myself from saying everything.

“I was...too mean to her. Before with Silvy, it was fine. Almost fun, in a way. But now with Mother gone, it doesn’t feel the same. I don’t like doing it. Not anymore...I don’t think I ever really liked doing it.” It felt strange to admit that after so long. Like a massive boulder had been lifted from my shoulders. Randolph sighs, and scoots closer to me.

“I thought as much. Your mother always did encourage that kind of behaviour,” He says with a very slight sliver of disgust in his voice. I should be mad at him for talking about her like that, but strangely I’m not. Because, once again, he’s right. As much as I love her and as much as I miss her I cannot deny that Spoiled Ritch encouraged me to do many things that, in hindsight, I regret.

“Ya, she did.”

“So, what are you going to do about it?” I pause, not knowing what to say. I tuck a stray strand of my hair around my ear. I decide telling the truth would be the best option.

“I don’t know if I can do something. It’s been so long, and I have made fun of Apple Bloom so much that she might never forgive me,” I quiet down and pull my legs to my chest. I had kept these emotions deep inside me until now, I even lied to myself about them over and over again. I had hurt Apple Bloom and her friends so many times and received full retaliation only once during Anon-A-Miss. Every other time I had gotten off with zero repercussions.

“It’s never too late to make a change,” Randolph says knowingly “You’re both young yet. Wounds heal, people grow.”

Right again. I sigh. “But do I actually do...just walk up to her and apologize?”

“That’s going to have to be up to you. Take the reins of your own life.” I suppose I should. I can be the person I want to be. Perhaps something good can come from this tragedy, I can remake myself in this new world. But first I need to fix my old one.

A smile spreads across my face. I know what I have to do now. And before I can think, I lean across the bed and embrace Randalf in a hug.

“Thank you,” Is all I have to say. I’m still not quite ready to embrace his new role fully, but I am willing to give it a try. New world, new me.

“You’re welcome,” he says with a kindhearted laugh. He peels me away and puts his hands on my shoulders. “Now go do what you have to do,” he smiles again and releases me. I move quickly out of the mostly empty Habitation area and through the winding halls of the Navigator.

My conviction grows with each passing step. I would be a bully no longer. It was an almost easy choice now that I saw my path before me. Straight as an arrow towards the future.

I both bless and damn my mother’s memory as I continue. She would want me to continue as I had been before, but I cannot do that. Randolph said it best, people grow. People change, and I must if I am to get through this transition. I must be better. Not only for myself but for my father as well. He tried the best he could.

I search the ship looking for my former enemy not knowing where she might be. It really was a lot more lively than before. I pass several computer rooms, small libraries, and lounges. All were full of people from my world interacting with their new one. The High Arbiter had brought them hope, just as Randolph had brought it to me.

It truly was amazing. But I have little time to think of that now, I still have to find her. At last, I search the Recreation Area and I see her red hair from across the room, contrasted clearly against the white walls.

At the sight of her, I pause and hesitate one last time. She’s punching a punching bag, that’s not a good sign. I had mocked and scorned her so much over the years for little reason at all. What if she didn’t accept my apology? What if she didn’t believe me? What if something bad happened? But no. That no longer matters. The act of change itself was enough motivation for me. I had to believe that.

I take a deep breath and step cautiously towards her, moving through the semi-crowded gym past scores of people working out, paying me no mind.

As I make my final approach Apple Bloom seems to sense my presence and turns around, her amber eyes blazing into my soul. I swallow my fear and speak the only logical words that come to mind.

“We need to talk.”