• Published 28th Nov 2019
  • 348 Views, 4 Comments

Sunset and The Shadow - AuremUmbra



Sunset Shimmer travels through the mirror and finds herself in a world where magic is hidden and ancient beings are trying to take over. A crossover with the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott.

  • ...
3
 4
 348

Chapter 2

Scathach and Sunset spent the next day in Prometheus’ shadowrealm. Sunset spent it learning about the world she had ended up in and practicing her magic, or as the others called it: manipulating her aura.

She learnt about technology; what they could teach her anyway, which wasn’t a lot; the world’s culture; including how they always wear clothes in public and often eat meat; and she learnt the differences in language between this world and Equestria; which was mostly saying body instead of pony and that there were many other languages used by humans and elders.

Some of these other languages were very similar to some she already knew – at least a little – like French and Prench or Latin and Old Ponish, or at least knew of. However, most of the languages the elders used she did not know and many she did not even know of a similar language.

She quickly learnt the differences between the magic of this world and her own and how it was different to casting magic, with her horn from Prometheus. Who she had asked to help her once she realised that it was quite different to how it had worked in Equestria.

In return she had taught them a little about Equestria and what she knew of magic from there. How much she knew and how advanced it was surprised Prometheus and Scathach quite a lot and explained how Sunset was able to use her magic so much – even for little things – without tiring herself out too much: she was more efficient in her usage of magic than Prometheus had even thought it was possible.

Sunset did not teach them much of what she knew and did her best to keep her knowledge of magic a secret from then on.

She saw Scathach practicing with her two short swords, while she was practicing mastering the small changes in her magic. Scathach seemed to flow from one stroke with her swords to the next. Parrying imaginary blows and striking imaginary foes.

They stayed in Prometheus’ shadowrealm for one more night, then left in the morning. By the time that they had left Sunset had become confidant enough in her ability in this slightly different magic to once more teleport like she used to in Equestria.

They returned to Scathach’s home the way the way they had come. Sunset spent the bus ride listening to the other occupants of which there were few and reading her book on magic trying to find the differences between how it would work in Equestria and how it would work on Earth.





Once they had returned to Scathach’s home; making sure to use the secret door to enter. Scathach had changed her clothes back into her white jeans and shirt and offered Sunset a change of clothes as they were similar sizes but Sunset refused.

She asked about a public library and Scathach told her where one was, but that she was unable to take her there as she had to teach a class on martial arts in her dojo. Sunset left towards the library; not noticing the three large crows watching her.

The crows followed her to the library and then remained outside. Waiting. They did not stay perfectly still. They flew around the library and peered through the windows. But there was always at least one outside the library’s main entrance.

Sunset spent several hours inside the library reading books on technology, history and culture. She stayed in the non-fiction section reading about what the humans in this world knew. She was surprised to not find a single book on magic.

After four hours it was starting to get dark outside and she was feeling hungry, she decided it was time to leave. Before she could however she heard a buzzing sound coming from her backpack. Which she opened and was unsurprised to see a book glowing and vibrating.

She was surprised however to find many messages in there.

The first entry read: Sunset, where are you? You attacked the guards and ran off. I couldn’t find your journal so I believe that you took it with you. I hope you get this message. I’m sorry for what I said and did. Come back and we can work things out.

The second was written slightly shakily. Sunset, please come back. I was angry and did some things I should never have done. You know about my sister; I swore I would never make the same mistake again, but I could not keep that promise. I should have realised how you felt. I should have learnt from the last time. I should have tried to understand how you felt. I should have made sure you knew that I cared for you. I should have told you that you didn’t need to be powerful or an alicorn for me to care about you.

I should have told you about the mirror when you asked. I should have told you how to become an alicorn when you asked too. Please come back. Give me another chance. The writing was much harder to read towards the end.

Tears formed in Sunset’s eyes as she read that she could have stayed and worked things out with Celestia. However, she continued on to the next entry. The third entry was tear stained and barely legible.

Sunset, please respond. It’s been over twelve moons with no sign of you. The guards have given up searching for you. Please, if you don’t want to come back that’s fine. But at least let me know that you are still alive.

Luckily there were very few people in the library and they were far away and she was out of their sight as she continued to cry. The only one that saw her was a large crow looking through the window.

After several minutes she stopped crying. Once she had she noticed that the journal had read ‘over twelve moons’. She gasped. “It can’t have been twelve moons. I’ve only been here a four days not ninety-six. Why does it say that? … of course the dimensions must run at different speeds. Or maybe the portal sent me through time as well. How long has gone by in Equestria?”

Sunset returned to reading the messages.

It’s been two years, Sunset, if you are still alive please tell me. I promise I won’t punish you for anything you did here. If you want me to leave you alone just tell me, please. I promise that I won’t look for you if you don’t want me to. Please just let me know you are alive.

The message was shaky and tear stained but less so than the previous message. The next message was the last one.

To whosoever finds this journal. Please tell me what happened to its owner. And if she is still alive where I can find her.

Sunset search her bag for a quill and ink but did not find any. So she left to return to Scathach’s home; planning on borrowing a writing implement. She walked out of the library and once more did not notice the three large crows following her.





When Sunset returned to Scathach’s home she entered the door and went through the secret door. Inside she saw Scathach kneeling on the ground facing away from her.

“Hi, I’m back,” Sunset said. “Could I borrow a quill and some ink?”

Scathach stood and turned around towards Sunset. “I don’t have any. I prefer to use a pen to write with. I’ll get you one.”

Scathach stood and walked up the stairs. Sunset followed. Scathach went into her bedroom, opened a drawer and pulled out a ballpoint pen. Which she gave to Sunset.

“Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

Scathach left the bedroom and went back to the kitchen to prepare dinner. Sunset opened her journal to an empty page and hesitantly began to write.

Hello Princess Celestia, I am still alive. It has only been a few days for me since our last meeting. I went through the portal and arrived in a world somewhat like Starswirl the Bearded wrote about. Magic still works but it does not work exactly the same.

I have two theories for why the time is different for us. The first is that the two dimensions operate at different speeds. The second is that the portal sent me through time as well as to a different dimension.

I am currently living with Scathach. She is someone of the race this world calls the Next Generation. She is immortal and teaches humans – the most common species on this side of the mirror – how to defend themselves. In this world I am told there are many immortals but they keep themselves hidden from the humans. They used to rule the world but they do not anymore.

I am sorry for what I did. I should not have hurt the guards or run through the mirror.

I hope you get this message. I will try to find my way back to Equestria if you will have me back. It will probably take a while however.