• Published 2nd Sep 2019
  • 737 Views, 7 Comments

Different Paths - Jhoira



Sunset has to get married to stay in the world. Rarity is happy to help but she isn't quite as enthused as Sunset.

  • ...
6
 7
 737

An Angry Path

Shortly after Sunset made it back to the dressing room Rainbow Dash burst in after her. Finding Sunset with her face in her hands and sobbing for all she’s worth. Rainbow Dash slowed down a bit and walked over, sitting near Sunset but still allowing her some personal space. Rainbow Dash scratched her arms nervously. "So... Uh... What's up?"

Sunset looked up, sniffling as she considered trying to lie, but then she simply realized she didn't really care at the moment what Rainbow Dash knew or thought of her. "Rarity told me she doesn't love me..."

Rainbow Dash's eyes widened for a moment before hardening and narrowing. "Why that little...!" She started to get up before she felt a hand on her arm, looking down to see Sunset simply shake her head. Rainbow Dash sighed as she sat back down.

Sunset did manage a small, sad smile. "Thanks for that Rainbow Dash but it's not her fault. She said she was happy to do it so I could stay... She never said it was because she loved me. I mean she could have chosen a better time yeah but marrying someone before they say "I love you"... Uh... Not the best plan." Sunset had kind of glossed over that in her head, assuming that a few dates meant the Rarity also loved her. But she realized Rarity had seemed to have fun but hadn't really been particularly into the dates, then they got interrupted by this drama. She turned to Rainbow Dash, her crying slightly more under control.

"Oh Rainbow Dash! It was so obvious! Rarity dropped multiple hints! Even Applejack must have figured it out earlier! She offered to marry me instead of Rarity!" She sighed, wiping her eyes, her sobs having fallen off but her tears still flowing silently. "I've ruined everything haven't I?"

Rainbow Dash shifted, a little uncomfortable with how much emotion had just been dumped on her, she wasn't sure what she had been expecting but that man in the suit had warned her that Sunset and Rarity were fighting about having heard about Fluttershy having a crush on Rarity. Much to Rainbow Dash's shame, it seemed that Mr. Shadow was paying better attention to her friends than she was. "Oh... Well... That's... A completely reasonable thing to fight about that's for sure..." Rainbow Dash nervously rubbed har arm, huffing to herself. "So... Whatcha gonna do? I mean if you don't wanna marry... Uh... I mean if it doesn't work out me or AJ could do it. I mean AJ offered and I won't have any drama with us. I've gotta focus more on training for at least two years, not on boys or girls anyway..." Rainbow Dash would have continued but she trailed off at the touch of Sunsets hand on her arm again.

"Thank you Rainbow Dash but that's unneeded really... Rarity has agreed for the sake of me staying, and it'll look better to Mr. Shadow if there's not such a big hubbub after the wedding. It'd look like we're trying to game the system."

Rainbow Dash shook her head. "Don't be too hard on Mr. Shadow Sunset, he's just doing his job." Sunset stared at Rainbow Dash for a few moments. "I mean besides, he does seem to care. He told me you and Rarity were fighting after all."

Sunset was going to annoyedly list off all the reasons that Mr. Shadow was a terrible person but then Rainbow Dash mentioned that he was paying a lot of attention. That was his job, but then telling her friends so they'd do things. And he had been with Applejack and Fluttershy right before Applejack made the offer earlier. Her eyes widened as she stood up. "Oh, that bastard! He... He's planning something! He's... I don't know what this game is but he's been screwing with us!"

Rainbow Dash stood up and shook her head in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

Sunset scowled, though not at Rainbow Dash. "We'll be figuring that out shortly!" Sunset's sadness was replaced with righteous indignation. Mr. Shadow was screwing with them for some reason, and she was placing all the fault for her relationship with Rarity going down in flames squarely on his shoulders. Even though it might not have been the right place, Sunset didn't care! She was fully focused on that until she burst out into the hall and looked about to reorient herself. What she hadn't expected to see was Rarity and Fluttershy, but it was a welcome sight of back up despite her current feelings of betrayal from Rarity. "Oh thank goodness!"

Both Rarity and Fluttershy jumped back from each other looking at each other but Rarity quickly walked over to Sunset. "Oh, Sunset! I..."

Sunset put a finger up to Rarity's lips and smiled faintly, shaking her head. "We will have a lot to talk about I'm sure, but right now, I need your help to deal with Mr. Shadow." Rarity raised an eyebrow at that, Fluttershy walking up nervously behind her.

Rainbow Dash caught up to the other two, smiling a bit as she saw the three of them together, completely peaceful. "Ahh, I can see your point Sunset." The three other girls looked back at her. "I mean if you two had actually been fighting about Fluttershy you all wouldn't be standing here all companionable."

Sunset arched and eyebrow. "Why would we fight about Fluttershy?"

Rarity lunged forward trying to cover Rainbow Dash's mouth as she answered. "That Fluttershy has a thing for Rarity." Fluttershy let out a quiet screech and Rarity took a few steps back, biting her bottom lip.

Rarity raised her hands in a placating gesture, that from Sunset's perspective looked defensive. And it looked like Rarity was now blocking Fluttershy bodily from Sunset, like she was defending her new girlfriend. "Now... Now Sunset I can explain, we weren't..."

Sunset exploded, all thoughts of Mr. Shadow banished from her mind. "You what!? Weren't going to tell me you two were a thing!?" Rarity and Fluttershy were shaking their heads but it did nothing to placate the angry ex pony. "Well, that's fine Rarity! I'm sure you two will be happy!" She turned, storming off. "I'll tell everyone the wedding is canceled! Then I'm going home! At least the princess will be happy I'm home!" The other three girls stared at each other for half a minute before they all tried to catch up to Sunset.