• Published 8th Jul 2017
  • 1,537 Views, 12 Comments

Sunset's Secret - BoredAuthor817



Sunset Shimmer has a secret which prevents her from reuniting with Princess Celestia. What could it possibly be?

  • ...
14
 12
 1,537

The Invitation

Sunset Shimmer was certain her ears weren't working properly. In fact, she was more than certain she didn't hear what she just heard. “Could you repeat that, Twilight?” she said with a quiver.

“Princess Celestia would like for you to see her in Canterlot!” the purple girl smiled the biggest grin she could possibly muster, “Isn't that great news?”

“Of course it is!” jumped in Pinkie Pie. She paused as an idea took root in her head and sprouted into an explosion of streamers and confetti. She let out a gasp of eureka! “We can throw a 'Happy-Reuniting-and-Making-Up-With-Your-Mentor,-Sunset!' party!”

“That's a bit of a mouth-full, darling” replied Rarity, “Couldn't we just say 'Congratulations on Amends'?”

“Or, not have a party at all?” Shutter Fly whispered, cowering below the table, “The loud noises really scares the animals...and me...”

Rainbow Dash shook her head at her timid friend. “Fluttershy, don't you see this is a momentous occasion for Sunset? Of course we need a party!”

“You always want to party, Rainbow Dash!” laughed Applejack. She let out a hearty chuckle and slapped her knee. “And I'm with you. This is big and exciting news for Sunset. Though,” she paused, giving a thoughtful glance to the silent girl in the corner of the booth, “you've been rather quiet over there, sugar cube. Is everything okay?”

Sunset had been surprisingly silent. By the look on her face, one would have through she had just been told the most devastating news ever. She gazed into the distance, completely spaced out from the conversation. Some of the girls turned to see what she could possibly be looking at.

“Uh, Sunset?” Rainbow Dash gently poked her friend's shoulder, “You still there?”

A soft yelp came came from the amber girl as she was pulled back to reality. She closed hear eyes and gave her head a violent mini shake. “I'm sorry,” she said, resting her elbows on the table “what were you all saying?”

“That we need to throw you a party, silly!” replied Pinkie. She threw a fist full of confetti in the air for effect.

“Is it just me, or are we more excited about this news than Sunset?” spoke up a bespectacled Twilight. She quietly had been watching the whole scene unfold from her end of the booth.

“No,” Sunset adverted her gaze, “it's great news!”

Applejack furled an eyebrow. “That doesn't sound very convincing.”

“Look, it's just unexpected. That's all.”

“Unexpected?” laughed the pony princess, “Ever since I've been telling Princess Celestia of your adventures in this world, it wasn't so much a matter of if, but when this would happen! And,” she added, in a softer tone, “it would have been sooner, but things have been kinda hectic lately...”

“Typical Equestria...” Sunset rolled her eyes. Though she couldn't judge much. Over the past year, her world had turned completely upside down. “I'd love to back, Twilight” she said, “but, I don't know if I can right now. With all the rogue magic leaking in from Equestria, my days have basically been one magical mishap after another. Since I'm the only one who has any remote clue as to how it works, I just can't leave this realm unprotected.”

“Give yourself some credit, darling” smiled Rarity, “You're an excellent teacher. Why, none of us couldn't ever have figured out how to properly use this things without your guidance.” She held up her dark purple geode, which hung around her neck.

“I'm still confused as to those things are” Twilight rubbed her chin, her hand clenched into the shape of a hoof, “They seem to be a second set of the Elements of Harmony, but I can't find any mention of them in any book. And you're positive they came from Equestria?”

“Positive” replied Sunset, “That whole cave radiated with Equestrian magic. It was almost suffocating.”

“Hmm...” the princess went into deep thought. “Well, you will just have to take me there some time. You said it wasn't far, right?”

“Not far—if you have a car, and I'll be getting my license soon. I'm sure my parents will let me borrow the car for a day.”

Twilight grimaced at the thought of Pinkie Pie taking the reigns of an enclosed horseless carriage that traveled over land at the breakneck speed of Rainbow Dash. The Pinkie Pie she knew back in Ponyville, maybe. This Pinkie Pie, not so much. She let out a nervous laugh.

“We seem to be getting off topic here” said Rainbow Dash, “Sunset is about to reunite with her mentor back in Equestria!”

Sunset slumped in her seat. She had hoped that the shift in conversation to the magic cave at Camp Everfree would have taken everyone's mind off of Twilight's news. Her fellow pony saw her apprehension and placed a hoofed hand on her shoulder. “It's okay if you want to wait a bit” the princess smiled, “I imagine it took a lot just to come back for a few minutes last time. Celestia will understand” she gave a wink, “We'll just have to take foal steps.”

Sunset let out a smile of gratitude. “Thanks, Twilight.”

Author's Note:

Hey all!

This is my first MLP fanfic. First time on this site, still not sure what all the tags are. If you see any that I missed, please let me know.

Thanks!