• Published 1st Jan 2017
  • 904 Views, 5 Comments

Dances of the Late Night and Early Morning - Erina Tail Yellow



The warm late night breezes blow throughout camp everfree. It brings songs of longing and romance as it dances with the night sky till sun rise comes to awaken a new song.

  • ...
1
 5
 904

Classical Dance

Chapter 1

Classical Dance

As Vinyl lied in bed she checked her phone for the hundredth time. She had attempted to start up a conservation with Lyra but had only received the brief reply of:

Can’t talk now. Bonnie and I just finished pushing the beds together

Vinyl swore under her breath. She should’ve expected as much out of those two. She took to looking around the room mindlessly. She looked over at her tent mate just as she jolted very suddenly. She instantly grabbed her phone off her bedside table tapped out a quick message and curled up tightly underneath the covers.I would think that’s a bit off, but it is Fluttershy a bunny probably stumbled off a bed in her dream. Vinyl shrugged it off and put her phone on her bedside table and closed her eyes, then her phone went off.

Vinyl groaned as she turned over to pick up her phone. She took one last glance at her tent mate, she appeared to finally be asleep.

I wonder how long I drifted off for it didn’t feel like I was ever actually asleep. She picked up her phone, there was a text from Octavia.

Hey, vinyl. I know it seems as though I’ve been ignoring you I’ve just been thinking through how to ask you this. Would you mind sleeping with me tonight?

Vinyl opened her mouth to scream but stopped just in time so that her pink haired tent mate stayed asleep. She calmed down and managed to tap out a short message to Octavia.

Yeah! I would love that. Let me sneak out real quick. I’ll be right there babe.

Vinyl clambered out of bed and searched awkwardly for her shoes. Why can’t I ever-! There they are!! She grabbed them out from under her bed and hastily threw them on. God, this is uncomfortable! Oh well, Hold on Octavia I’m coming! She rushed out of the tent and bumped into someone. She looked up to find none that it was other than Principal Celestia. “AGH! What the Hell!!” Vinyl immediately started heading back to her tent but was stopped by a calm hand being placed on her shoulder.

“I will say nothing if you don’t say anything as well. Deal?” Celestia whispered.

“I guess.” Vinyl replied reaching out for a fist bump. Celestia bumped her student’s fist and proceeded into the tent behind Vinyl. “That was weird. I guess I’ll just go.”


Vinyl finally arrived at Octavia’s tent. She was tired and a bit on edge from thinking she may be caught. She pulled open the tent and poked her head in. “Evening lovely lady, how’s my timing?” Vinyl tried to say smoothly. Unfortunately for her it came out through panting and stuttering.

Octavia chuckled “Vinyl timing isn’t important just so long as you didn’t get caught.”

Octavia’s smile in the darkness pulled Vinyl closer to the bed. Vinyl moved until she was right next to it looking down at Octavia. What are you waiting for V! She’s right there. With that thought she lifted the covers and slipped into the bed next to Octavia. “There’s no one else in here right?” Vinyl asked slyly as she nibbled Octavia’s ear eliciting a small squeak.

“Not yet. I thought we could just lay for a moment and enjoy each other’s company.” Octavia asked calmly.

Vinyl snaked her arm around Octavia and pulled her closer. “Ya’ know babe this’d be much better out under the stars.” Vinyl swiped her hand above them as if to wipe away their tent roof to reveal the stars. “ I actually know some light astronomy that might impress you.”

“Well they did say we were welcome to do whatever we like. Come on let’s pull the blanket up and put it out for some stargazing my love.” Octavia said as she lightly pushed her girlfriend out of bed and onto the floor with a light thud. “Oh sorry! Are you okay?”

“Yeah I’m cool would you mind reaching over to pick me up though?” Vinyl’s smirk as she said that was hidden by the darkness. She reached a hand up and Octavia grabbed hold only to be pulled over the edge and into a passionate kiss with Vinyl.

After a few moments they broke for air. “We should probably do that stargazing now.” Octavia said panting slightly. “As much fun as this is. We should get to our other plan before more happens.”

Vinyl nodded and they both got up and pulled the blanket outside and set it on the ground. They lied down, Vinyl once again snaking her arm around Octavia to pull her closer. As they looked up they noticed a bright flash of purple light that came from The Sapphire Tent. “Vinyl do you know what that was?”

Vinyl grumbled slightly Somebody’s getting laid and I’m NOT!. Vinyl calmed herself down quickly and turned to her girlfriend “Maybe they’re up late practicing controlling magic.” They both shrugged and sighed.

Octavia giggled and turned to look at Vinyl “So... light astronomy.”

Crap! “Uhhhh… Well if we look directly up we can see stars.” Vinyl chuckled nervously. She pointed at a cluster of stars and said “ And that there is ummmm… a cluster of stars visible in the night sky on earth.”

“Do you know any actual astronomy?” Octavia raised an eyebrow at Vinyl.

“Nah nah I got this, is cool.” Vinyl once again pointed up at the sky at a line of three stars. “That there is Orion’s belt. The one in the center is Alnilam. I think. Yeah that’s it. I don’t remember the rest but I do remember what Alnilam means.”

“Oh impress me with your vast knowledge of the cosmos.” Octavia said as she trailed a finger up Vinyl’s chest and held her chin with her hand. She gave her a light peck on the lips. Vinyl froze for a moment, as she temporarily lost her train of thought. “Oh. Did I disrupt you?” Octavia pouted, which only managed to fluster Vinyl further. “Okay Okay. I’ve I had my fun. You may continue love.”

“Uhhhhh… Yeah sure.” Vinyl quickly regained her composure and flipped her hair to the side nonchalantly. “As I was saying Alnilam means belt of pearls.”

“Huh and how do you know this?” Octavia asked speculatively.

Vinyl scratched the back of her head. “I read it online once.”

“I trust your judgment Vinyl it’s perfectly fine, just as you are.” Octavia reassured Vinyl.They turned their gazes back to the stars. “The sky truly is beautiful tonight.”

“Not as beautiful as you babe.” Vinyl turned Octavia. “Do you know why I didn’t give you a nickname when you asked for one?”

“Well, you call me babe and after did assign me a cute pet name. I proceeded to assume that was it.” Octavia concluded.

“Well… you’re not entirely wrong. I say babe more out of convenience. When it comes down to it I never gave you a nickname because…” Vinyl suddenly realised what she was saying and stiffened up. “Never mind I shouldn’t say we were having a nice night without me getting all sappy.”

“No, say it I rather enjoy it when you get emotional.” Octavia offered Vinyl a warm smile to comfort her.

“Okay you roped me into it. I never gave you a nickname because your name is beautiful enough without shortening it down. Sure calling you ‘Babe’ is pet name esq. But I love you Octavia and because of that I can’t desecrate such a beautiful… no… stunning person by changing the name I fell in love with.” Vinyl was misty eyed. Her words hung like a thick fog.

“Oh Vinyl. I love you too.” Octavia moved on top of Vinyl and kissed her furiously.

After that brief moment of elation was over they broke apart and lied next to each other panting. “So you wanna head back to the tent for a while?” Vinyl asked sultrily. Vinyl’s phone vibrated slightly in her pocket, utterly ruining the mood. FUCK!

Celestia says for you to stay safe whatever that means.

I swear! When I graduate. Vinyl looked around and saw the last few traces of pink hair being pulled quickly into the woods.


Sunlight punctured the tent fabric and landed on Vinyl’s eyes causing her to groan. Vinyl went to move her hand and felt smooth skin beneath it. Vinyl’s eyes snapped wide open as fractured memories of the prior night flooded in all at once. Yes! Lyra totally lost that bet. Nailed it. Vinyl heard footsteps outside the tent. She shook Octavia slightly in an attempt to wake her up but her actions were to no avail.

“Hello?” A voice asked from the tent flap. “I’m coming in.” Principal Celestia’s tall slender form entered the tent.

“Oh dear!” A smaller meek voice was heard and upon waking herself up more Vinyl noticed her tent mate attached to their principal’s hip. “We didn’t mean to intrude.”

Vinyl quickly scampered out of bed somehow not waking Octavia up. She fell on the floor and reached across to the other bed for something to temporarily cover herself with. “I specifically asked to check this tent.” Celestia stated as she moved over to the bed and picked up Vinyl’s clothes for her. “Seeing as how several other tents were found this morning. I figured I’d help you out, as you have done for me. Here.” Celestia handed Vinyl her clothing and politely turned herself and Fluttershy as to let Vinyl change.

When Vinyl turned around she asked. “What do you mean by ‘states of other tents’?”

“We’ll just say that stars collided last night.” Celestia stated briefly.

“Oh and Pinkie finally got her marshmallow pillow.” Fluttershy added.

“As well some dashing and derping, also some Angels blooming.” Celestia added as her and Fluttershy broke into a giggle fit and fell onto the floor.

“Yeah.... sooooooooooooooooooo. If you guys could leave so I could wake up Octavia so we can start packing up that’d be great.” Vinyl’s expression was unamused but her tone slightly playful.

The giggling persisted a moment longer but soon enough the pair left, still laughing slightly. Vinyl rolled her eyes and moved over to wake up Octavia. She nudged her but she still didn’t wake up. Wow! Guess she’s really worn out. Vinyl leaned over and planted a kiss on Octavia’s lips. Octavia shifted slightly and mumbled something. Okay. So I’m getting closer. Vinyl leaned over and ran her fingers through her hair. “Hey babe, it’s time to get up.”

“Five more minutes.” Octavia whined only half awake as she proceeded to shift to her other side.

“Nah come on we gotta go home.” Vinyl said nonchalantly. All Octavia did in response was beckon Vinyl back into bed. “Heh.. Yeah, I guess for you I could slip back in for a little while.” Vinyl lifted the covers and once again slipped in next to Octavia. As she slowly wrapped her hands around her she whispered “I love you Tavi.”

Octavia smiled warmly “As I do you Vinyl.”

Author's Note:

So I came to the idea of this collab project when I realized I hadn't written in forever. I needed to flex my mental writing muscles a little and decided to drag Febnic16 down with me. Anyways I missed you guys and this is my apology gift to you guys for being gone so long.

-Erina Shindou