• Published 11th Feb 2016
  • 1,191 Views, 4 Comments

Rainbow Colored Marbles - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Pinkie's sisters are in town, and somehow Rainbow Dash is set up on a date with Marble Pie

  • ...
3
 4
 1,191

Preparing Pie

Marble Pie sat in the bathtub in Pinkie Pie's bathroom. She laid stretched out in the warm water, watching the bubbles shift with each slight movement she made, and pop as it slowly disappeared.

She had never taken a bubble bath before. It... really did not seem that much different from a regular bath. At least she did not feel any different. It kind of looked like the water after she had thoroughly soaped up and rinsed off. Although she could kind of see why Pinkie Pie liked it so much. The bubble bath was pink before it bubbled up (which, disappointingly, was white), and it could be played with and shaped a little. Plus, there was a scent to it that was nice. Pinkie said that it was lavender, and was supposed to be relaxing. Marble was not too sure about that last part for her, but it did smell better than just plain soap.

The rubber duck, however, Marble Pie could understand completely. Not only was it cute, but it was kind of fun to play with. If she gave it a little squeeze, it would let out a squeak, then wheeze as it filled up with air again. When she pushed it under the water, it would pop right back up, bobbing and wobbling. Marble could not help but find the whole thing entertaining.

Then again, there was a lot that Pinkie Pie had that she found entertaining. Although, that was kind of the point of it all, was it not? Pinkie Pie had decided that her purpose in life was to make other ponies happy, to make them smile and feel loved. So Pinkie Pie would become friends with any pony -- any creature, really -- that she met, especially when she thought they needed one.

Marble Pie wish she could do that. Not specifically make ponies happy, but to create some sort of emotional response. She wished that she could get ponies to feel something strongly. To get them to feel something like what she felt. Unfortunately, that also meant interacting and socializing with a lot of ponies on a regular basis, most of which she would only see once or twice. So she would never have time to get fully used to a pony and be comfortable around them.

Another way that she wished she was a little more like her sister.

Something moved against Marble's leg, causing her to jump slightly. Reaching down into the water, she managed to grab a hold of whatever it was and pull it up.

There was Gummy, Pinkie's pet alligator, staring at her with his big, reptilian eyes.

"How did you get back in here?" Marble asked as she set the gator down on the edge of the bathtub. "I know I took you out already."

Gummy just stood where he had been set, blinking once.

Curious, Marble took a hold of the rubber duck. After quickly rinsing it off, she lifted it up above Gummy and gave it a squeak. The noise got the little alligator's attention. At the second squeak, he jumped up, snapping his toothless jaws around it. He then started biting down on the toy, making it squeak repeatedly, and getting a giggle from Marble Pie. It was a cute creature. Not the type of pet Marble would ever want -- toothless or not -- but it made sense for her sister.

A knock at the door drew Marble Pie's attention from Gummy.

"Marble," Pinkie called out, "are you still in the tub?"

"Mmhmm," Marble called back, looking toward the door.

"Well it's time to get out and get ready. Don't want to be late for your date."

"Mm-mm." She then reached for the plug, and noticed that Gummy had disappeared from his spot by the side of the tub.

Stepping out, she grabbed a towel and started drying herself off. The towel she used was so thick and fluffy, it almost seemed like it was more of a blanket. Also felt kind of warm. It made a part of Marble want to just wrap herself up in it nice and tight, then take a nap.

Instead, she finished drying off and set the towel aside. At the vanity, she grabbed the brush and began to work on her mane. Maybe she should try doing something with it. Maybe she could find a barrette and pin it back or aside. That way, she would not be hiding behind her it, and her date would be able to look at her directly.

Or not. Just the idea of doing that filled Marble with anxiety. It was kind of like a security blanket for her. If she got scared or nervous, she could just kind of hide behind her mane, and nopony could see how she felt. Some times she just needed a moment or two to get the nerve to respond. Other, she would just kind of stay hidden until whomever decided to leave her alone or somepony else stepped in to help.

Not the best way to deal with a problem, admittedly, but between Maud, Limestone, and Pinkie, it had become a very effective one.

So, her mane was going to stay as it normally was. Maybe she could put on a little bit of make-up. Not much. Just a little bit of mascara or eye shadow. Maybe some lip liner. Although nothing too bright or colorful.

Except Pinkie did not have any make-up for dating. There was plenty of what could be considered make-up, but it was more for face painting. Not really anything that Marble could use, unless she wanted to go out looking like a clown.

That idea got another giggle from her. It would be kind of funny.

Too bad it was something that she would never have the courage to do. Draw way too much attention to her.

Washed, dried, and brushed. All that remained now was for her to get dressed, and she will be ready to go.

It was a pretty dress. More colorful than any that she owned, with its sky blue and soft pink. It was also kind of strange. Why would the part that goes around the neck be pink while the mane dress would be blue? Why was that part sewn into the rest, making it look like it was part of a different outfit?

Still, it did look pretty nice.

And once she put it on, Marble found that it fit her very well. A little tighter around the barrel than she would have liked, but not too bad. It was better than most of the off the rack dresses that she tried out, which were either too tight around her barrel because of how much muscle she had, or too large since they were made for a bigger built mare. Pinkie's friend Rarity seemed to know how to accentuate a more muscular body type. Considering that she was also friends with Applejack, it did kind of make sense.

Turning her attention back to the mirror, she took in how she looked all dressed up in her new outfit.

Marble thought she looked pretty good. The off the shoulder strap drew attention to said shoulder, showing off the toned shape of it. The same could also be said with the length of the skirt and the thick muscles of her legs. The collar of the outfit also drew some attention to her neck. She took a deep breath, being able to do so easily and watching the dress expand against her. For a moment, she worried that a stitch would pop.

When it did not, she exhaled. It was so lovely, she felt like she was too... plain for the dress. She was just a grey on grey earth pony mare that grew up on a rock farm. She spent her times either working on the farm, or on her art. This was not really the type of dress a mare like her was worth wearing. If she were to wear something, it should be more simplistic, like Maud's dress. Not something so elegant and colorful.

No. That was no way to think. She was worth wearing something like this. It was made for her. Literally, in this case. Pinkie's friend had worked hard to make this dress just for her. She was going to wear it, she was going to go out on a date in it, and she was going to look "absolutely fabulous" (to quote Rarity) as she does it.

She could do this. She would do this.

A knock at the door, caused Marble Pie to jump, letting out a squeak of terror.

"Marble?" Pinkie Pie asked. "Are you okay?"

"Mmhmm," Marble replied. Walking over to the door, she opened it, revealing her sister standing there.

"Aww," Pinkie cried out as she grabbed her sister and pulled her into a Pinkie Pie Hug®. "You look so cute." Her grip tightened and Marble heard several vertebra pop. "Rainbow Dash is just going to love you."

I hope so, Marble thought. Rainbow Dash was the pony that The Pairing Stone had put her with. It was important that this work out between them. It meant a lot to her family, especially her parents. If things did not work out, it would devastate them.

"Mmhmm," was all she could say. Although even that was tough while caught in an extra tight Pinkie Pie Hug. Some times it seemed like Pinkie was even stronger than Maud, but unaware of it.

"Come on," Pinkie said as she finally broke the hug. "We need to get you downstairs and waiting. That way you'll be ready when Rainbow shows up, and she won't have to knock loud enough to wake Pound and Pumpkin."

She then took off, dragging Marble with her.

Soon -- almost instantly -- they were down in the main room of Sugarcube Corner. Despite how quickly they had moved, Marble's mane and dress were in the same condition they had been upstairs. Still, Marble rubbed at the chest of her outfit to make sure that it was smooth and clean.

Standing there and waiting, Marble had the urge to ask -- to beg -- Pinkie to come along on the date. This was an extended period of social interaction with a pony that she did not know. It was not something that Marble normally did. Having a pony there that knew her, that could act as a buffer and speak up for her, sounded like it would be very useful.

Although it would not be very romantic, which would kind of ruin the idea of a date. Not to mention that if Pinkie Pie went, it would be more like a date between her and Rainbow Dash instead. Plus, Marble could not rely on her sisters forever. Especially after she got married. Even if it was not Rainbow Dash, whomever Marble married would probably want the two of them to have a place of their own away from the rock farm. Like it or not, there were going to be times that she was going to have to deal with ponies on her own. This would be a good place to start.

A knock at the door caused Marble Pie to tense up, legs locking in place.

"That's her," Pinkie said, hopping up and down. Moving behind Marble, she pushed the other mare forward until she was right in front of the door. Pinkie then moved away, leaving Marble standing there alone.

"Go on," Pinkie whispered. "Open it."

With a nod, Marble Pie turned to face the door fully. Taking a deep breath, she reached up and took a hold of the door knob.

Nervousness fluttered through her stomach as she opened it.