Ponies of War 1,399 members · 932 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

Edited:
So, I'm working on this fic involving fighter jets and stuff. Now since pegasi already have natural flight capability and instincts, I decided that aircraft controls designed for pegasi would have controls that use that to their advantage. Currently I have:
Hooves: throttle, MFDs, switches
Tail: rudder
Wings:
-Wing angle controls pitch, roll, yaw
-Flared wings deploy flaps and airbrakes, wings held in flight position for normal flight
-Open/closed wings do the same on aircraft with variable geometry wings
-Phalanges/"feather fingers" control weapon/target selection and firing
This would probably be an easy to use system and would be very flexible in cases where reaction times are concerned. But what else is missing?
On feather fingers, I think I saw an x-ray of Dashie's wing in that episode where she got her wing broke that showed the bone structure of pegasus wings, plus the show shows that pegasi use their wings to manipulate some objects.

This is just a hypothetical control scheme, but the way it is configured implies that the pegasus flying the aircraft would be lying down with wings spread. How would one counter the problems that arise from such a configuration, what with the blood rushing into their rear legs if the plane accelerates too fast, and such? Another problem is the force feedback from a fly-by-wire computer system, how much is enough feedback? How would other types of ponies operate such an aircraft, and how would they sit?

It's funny, I also had the idea of creating jets made for only ponies to fly. Great minds think alike, I suppose.

It all seems fine, what are you asking for exactly?

2967435 Um, I was wondering how they would have the layout of the cockpit, as this sorta implies that the pegasus is lying down or standing with their wings spread. How would they brace the pilot, and how would they counteract all those g-force related problems? I forgot to add the questions in when I first jotted this down, sorry.

Have the wings spread full length? Wow, now that's a stretch; a normal cockpit is already extremely small and cramped. To have wings spread out full length would require way more space than any normal fighter could provide. To have it spread like that would either require them to lay down (impossible) make a bigger plane to the point where it's barely considered a fighter, or stretch the wings in some dangerous odd way, like pulling them straight backwards or something. It's a good idea to incorporate the wings of the Pegasus itself, but a small fighter like that wouldn't provide enough space without sacrificing size, maneuvering, etc.

2967464 So, a half-spread position would suffice for smaller craft? How would they sit?

Well, that's one of the problems. Of course, they would have to sit upright. If all the controls are in front of the plane, they'll have to work with those. And don't think about trying some kind of weird lying down position. One of the big things is also visibility; to be able to look around the cockpit as good as possible to see enemies above, below, or wherever. Lying down takes away from that significantly.

But look at this pilot's seat of an F-16 Falcon-

Explain to me how you could stretch wings in there, with the canopy down and doing extreme maneuvering, without them snapping off like twigs.

2967481 Most likely not at all, even with lots of bracing. Then again, I've seen them do some pretty insane turns, but that could just be the cartoon element.

Hmm...the other alternative's a mental control system that uses the wing control nerve impulses to manipulate the plane's surfaces, but that's way too far ahead for what I'm developing, I think. But then, magic. So, either it would be to expand the canopy or keep the wings closer to the body, and the canopy idea doesn't sound good at all.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8