Tales of Shadows and Stars 24 members · 7 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17
Angel Midnight
Group Admin

Ear ear! 'Ere's all ye need to know about bat pony ears!

Do not tell me that you have never looked at a bat pony and wondered about the secrets of their little ears. Why are they so fluffy? Why are different bat ponies’ ear tufts different sizes? Can they really hear like a bat? Do bat ponies like ear scratches? Can I give a bat pony ear scratches? 

Whatever your questions are, the aim of this special report is to answer as many of them as possible.

In truth, bat pony ears have a multitude of unique functions, but the first is their ability to use magic. The large tufts of fur on top are able to conduct magic. Usually, bat ponies use this magic unconsciously to enhance their hearing, however they can also use it to cast spells in the same way that unicorns and Umbrum do. When this happens, their magic aura (usually the same colour as either their eyes or cutie mark) appears around their ears.

Another advantage of the ear tufts is that they make ponies look taller than they really are, which can help to intimidate their enemies (if they have any). Little Moonlight Shade is probably one of the best examples of this: she's actually quite short for an adult, but her oversized ear tufts make up for it and most ponies think she looks average height. Combine that with her bat wings, dragon eyes, dark magic and armour, plus the stigma around her being the daughter of Nightmare Moon and the fact that she spends so much time with King Sombra… and you can see why she scares ponies.

Although the truth of the matter is debatable, it is rumoured that there is a third reason for bat pony ear tufts: to attract a partner. Supposedly, the bigger and floofier the ear tufts, the more attractive the pony is. However, this could quite easily be one of many myths surrounding the elusive nocturnal equines created by the day ponies. So far, nopony has been brave enough to ask, and the bat pony community have yet to say anything on the matter either. The mystery remains.

~ Angel

good thought. But can we pet her?

Angel Midnight
Group Admin

Moonlight?
Nope, not happening. Sorry, but the ears are off-limits to everypony. Except Sombra, of course. Wishbone doesn't mind it so much, though...
There's your answer.

okay but i could imagine she would give if asked by a child

Angel Midnight
Group Admin

That depends on who it is. If it's Cozy Glow, then definitely no, but maybe if it was somepony like Lucky it'd be different...

well, would be awkward for ponies anyway, but not for humans

...what happens if i decide to "bribe" the batponies to uhh
boop le tuft

Angel Midnight
Group Admin

Hmm... Moonlight? It's another question about-
*crosses forelegs* No pony or human or any other creature is going to go anywhere near my ears, except for King Sombra. I'm not the only bat pony around here. There's Wishbone, and the Colonel, and a whole load of others from Equestria too. So leave my ears alone!
The Queen hath spoken. :derpytongue2:

Lonely Gear(me but pony) is going to suffer.

...does an order of 1000 mangos count as a good enough bribe tho
they grow them in coltumbia!

Angel Midnight
Group Admin

*ears prick upwards* Mangoes? I'm listening...

I'm Back, Sombra, how've you been, also, Who is this cute batpony you have here? Last I spoke, you had...
That's enough, Reanar, This is Moonlight Shade, Queen of the Crystal Empire, One who makes Sunbutt Tremble with fear and worry. Nice to meet you, Queen, I am Reanar Shadewalker, one of the most powerful Umbra around, I disappeared around 1063 years ago, How are you?

Angel Midnight
Group Admin

At the moment? Frustrated. Somepony decided to let slip one of the biggest secrets that the bat ponies have kept for centuries, and now... *sigh* They're trying to boop my ears.

Don't let them, Sombra, she is Yours

Angel Midnight
Group Admin

I would intervene, but actually, this is quite amusing to watch-

Sombra!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17