Reviews of MLP:FiM 47 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Magic135
Group Admin

MLP Reviews

While I enjoyed myself with Sweet and Elite, I realized that I didn’t see Spike anywhere. He would jump at the chance to see Rarity and he should’ve been at Twilight’s birthday as well. We don’t get an answer on what happened, but we did get an episode about him, Secret of my Excess. A lot of fans are split on this one with some liking it and others not so much. Where do I stand? Let’s find out.

Spike’s birthday is coming up and has a Fire Ruby ready as a meal, remember, dragons eat gems. But when Rarity saw the gem while asking Twilight for a book, she was so fascinated with it that even Spike noticed. Always wanting to see Rarity happy, he gives her the ruby which made the white unicorn so happy, she kissed him on the cheek as a thank you. Next day, Spike is surprised by all the presents the Mane 6 gave him mainly because…

Spike: Well, actually, this is my first birthday in Ponyville. I usually just get one present, from Twilight. A book.

Somehow, I’m not surprised that’s Twilight’s idea for a gift is a book. After getting a birthday treat from Mr. and Mrs. Cake, Spike found that by just saying it’s his birthday, he’d get a gift. Unfortunately, he got so much stuff, he started to get bigger. While the town doctor and vet couldn’t help, Zecora explained that dragons get a growth spurt when they take things, and the more they take, the bigger they get.

Now with Spike as a giant dragon, Twilight gets the others to help, while they didn’t believe her at first, they saw what the dragon is doing and need to figure out how to get their dragon back to normal. And let’s just say one of them snapped him out of it.

While I can get why most people don’t enjoy Spike episodes since the problems were caused by him and all he got was karma, I can feel for Spike and understand why he got grabby. Since he only got one gift from Twilight, which is the same thing, why wouldn’t he get more variety. But then again, when you’re too greedy, you’re just asking for trouble, and we can see at episodes end, Spike felt bad for what he did.

While the plot maybe basic, it makes up for it with some good scenes. One has Pinkie throwing cakes at Spike while these lines are said.

Twilight Sparkle: Pinkie Pie! Stop giving him cake!
Pinkie Pie: I'm not giving him cake, I'm assaulting him with cake!
Spike: [grunts]
Pinkie Pie: How dare you take the cake!

And as a Sparity fan, I love any scene that has Spike and Rarity together, and this episode is no different. In fact, the moment when giant Spike remembers when his crush kissed his cheek snapped him back to normal and as they were falling, he tried to tell Rarity how he really feels for her, only for her to stop him and smiles making him see that she knows. She even kisses his cheek again at episodes end feeling proud the he stopped himself from making more of a mess in town.

While there are people who don’t like the episode, I still enjoy it. It has great scenes, great moments and shows more of Sparity for the series. I say that’s more than enough for me to say check it out.

Final Rating: 8/10

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1