NaNoWriMo Bronies 50 members · 5 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

I thought I'd make this thread to allow writers to share their story ideas (synopsis, plot lines, characters, world development, etc.) with other fellow writers to get feedback, encouragement, and an outside perspective. Feel free to discuss in the thread or reach out to a writer via PM about their story idea(s).

Beauty and the Beast Retelling
Characters - Original Characters (Brazen and Avi)
Genres - Drama, Romance, Action, & Dark
Setting - Las Pegasus

Condemned by his family and rejected by his peers, a stallion victimized by "vanishing twin syndrome" tries to make life bearable through gardening, running, and being accepted into a gang. Everything he thought he knew about family, friends, identity, and love is shattered when a new filly moves in next door.

Rock Statues No More
Characters - Celestia, Luna, Cadance, Twilight, & Discord
Genres - Drama, Comedy, Romance (Possibly)
Setting - Discord's Dimension

With all four leaders of Equestria having experienced being turned into stone, it isn't surprising that is haunts their nightmares. Celestia deals with past guilt. Luna tries to overcome her new fear of flying. Cadance seeks to gain back her control. Twilight wants to conquer her former feelings of helplessness. Each Princess attempts to seek out solace by finding counsel with the master of turning into stone - Discord.

You Again!?
Characters - Pharynx, Luna, Celestia, Cadance, Twilight, Starlight & Thorax
Genres - Drama, Romance, Comedy
Setting - Canterlot Castle

The leaders of Equestria and the Changeling Kingdom come together to discuss the threat of Chrysalis and the future of Changeling and Pony relations. But, when old hostilities arise between Luna and Pharynx, the meeting doesn't go quite as planned.

All of these story ideas are what I hope to write for NaNoWriMo. I feel pretty confident with writing these stories as a whole. It's just the little details that I probably will have the worst time with. Please let me know if any of these story ideas stand out to you in any way or one sounds like they would be fun to read. Also, if you would be interested in hearing more details I have for these stories and would like to help me better mold the story, then feel free to PM me or mention it here. :)

I honestly like the first one. I like those stories where a character is accepted for who they are rather than what they are. Plus, I love Beauty and the Beast so anything based off it is already great in my book!

I also have a few story ideas one that I'm definitely doing for the November writing challenge and others I'm thinking of doing. I'd like your opinion about them and like what you said I'm open to go into more detail with them if you wish.

Story Ideas

Magic and Power
Characters - Original Characters (Nightfall, Brandy, Harrier, Gambler, Shamrock Harp, Greyscale), Mane 6, Celestia, Luna
Genres - Alternate Universe, Adventure, Dark
Setting - Ponyville, Canterlot, Other

When the Elements of Harmony are used to defeat Discord for the second time, Princess Celestia and Luna sense a dark power at the same time. This energy had been sensed every time the Elements of Harmony have been used however, this time the presence of the dark power is much stronger than before.

Worried for the reason of the dark magics increase in power, the Princesses begin investigating the source of this power. However, in Ponyville, as six mysterious ponies move into the town, events begin to play out that'll reveal the origins of the Elements of Harmony, their purpose, and the dark power that is connected to them.

Dr. Diabolical or: How I Tried to Take Over Equestria
Characters - Original Characters (Dr. Diabolical, Bastion), Mane 6, Celestia, Luna
Genres - Comedy, Slice of Life, Action (possibly)
Setting - Ponyville (moslty), Equestria (various locations)

Equestria is under threat once again by a new enemy; the self proclaimed SUPER villain named Dr. Diabolical who plans to take over not only Equestria, but the entire world. With a army of minion robots under his command, nothing can stop him from achieving his goal, well...except maybe himself.

The Dominion of the Hearts
Characters - Original Characters (Cuore, Onyx Stone)
Genres - Action, Drama, Romance
Setting - Northern Equestria

Set 1,500 years before the main story.
After Princess Celestia and Luna defeat Discord, the Spirit of Chaos, the lands of Equestria are in a state of dismay and disorder. The two Regal Alicorn Sisters work to rebuild Equestria of Discords influence and work the reunite the land, becoming the new rulers who raise the sun and moon. However, in the far north, the now free ponies that are out of reach of the Alicorn sisters face separation and conflict when various families fight to rule the north and all it's valuable crystals. However nothing but war and despair seems never ending, one unicorn will rise from the ashes and fight to create a empire that'll shine all across the land.

Millennium Equestria
Characters - Original Characters (Starset, Aurora, Wildfire, Tomahawk, Nightwish, Assegai), Mane 6, Celestia, Luna
Genres - Action, Adventure, Drama, Sad
Location - Ponyville, Canterlot, Equestria (various locations)

When a mysterious object appears out of the sky and crash lands in the Everfree Forest, Princess Twilight Sparkle and her friends embark into the forest to find that it wasn't a meteor, but a strange metal ship and in that ship appears six armored looking ponies. They reveal a whole different world similar but extremely different from their own as these new ponies may be the key in protecting Equestria from a coming threat.

I wrote the story synopsis he same way you did if that's okay. The first story I'm definitely writing for NaNoWriMo and NaPoWriMo but I wanted to know what you think of the others. And you can also PM me as well! :)

Thanks! I have to laugh a little because the Beauty and the Beast Retelling story has come a long way since I first thought of the story idea. I'm really glad that I took the time to brainstorm more.

Brazen, the stallion who represents the beast, is literally half earth pony and half pegasus. He originally was going to be born an earth pony, while his twin brother was going to be a pegasus. But his mother experienced "vanishing twin syndrome" where Brazen's brother was miscarried, leaving Brazen to absorb the fetal tissue. When he was born his left side was his earth pony DNA and the left side of him was his unborn brother's pegasus DNA. Brazen possesses a small underdeveloped wing on his pegasus DNA side, making it impossible to fly with only one wing and a small one at that.

Your "Dr. Diabolical" story sounds fun! My biggest question is what kind of pony race in Dr. Diabolical? And why is he the only one who can stop himself?

All your story ideas seem to be based off prior pony canon which I think is great! There are always those moments where we are like "What would have happened if this took place?" In Magic and Power are the original characters going to represent the elements of disharmony?

My story ideas file is 7000 words long... I wouldn't even know where to start!

Although I swear, one of these days I really will do NaNo. Don't think this is the year, but someday...

That's actually a really interesting concept in terms of a pony being half of two types! I like the sorta medical/sciency/magicy idea behind the vanishing twin syndrome.

As for Dr. Diabolical, his real name is actually Good Deeds which he uses as his alias to hide his evil identity. He's an earth pony who surprisingly has little magic in him and most of the things he owns such as robot minions and secret lairs are all made by him using science. And the reason why I say that only he's the only one that can stop himself is because of just who he is. He says he's a Super Villain but yet he follows the rules, he says he's evil but he still has a heart of gold, he's a genius inventor but can be an idiot in terms of planning and common sense. It's suppose to be a joke that he has all the things he'd need to easily takeover Equestria, yet he doesn't just do it the easy way or the common sense way. A lot of his backstory is attributed to the fact that he was an orphan who was bullied a lot and the only friend he ever had was one that he built named Bastion who became his Number 1 minion. He also was inspired by supervillains in comic books he read as a colt.

With Magic and Power, the six original characters do represent the Elements of Disharmony. Nightfall is the Element of Power, Brandy is the Element of Deception, Harrier is the Element of Cruelty, Gambler is the Element of Greed, Shamrock Harp is the Element of Wrath, and Greyscale is the Element of Betrayal. The thing about this story is that these characters aren't the villains, and even though they represent the opposite of friendship, they're still likable in their own way. Also they also at one point in their had the potential to be an Element of Harmony but circumstances in their life took them in the opposite direction.

Man this was longer than I thought.

This'll be my first time doing the NaNoWriMo, so I'm a little nervous about being able to do it.

Well, even if you don't finish, just doing some writing is always good!

I'd throw my hat in if I weren't up to my eyebrows in commissions, just for that, but I don't want to have to put paying customers on hold for a whole month so I can write a novel.

True, very true!

Yeah that's understandable. Plus if you're getting paid you definitely need to put them as first priority!

I have way more ideas too, but I just chose the ones that are already fairly developed. Feel free to just post some if you want some feedback even if you aren't participating in NaNoWriMo this year.

Good Deeds sounds hilarious! He sounds like he is a guy who just can't make up his mind to be good or bad. You definitely need to write it because I want to read it. I'm glad he is an earth pony villain. I am so done with the "every mlp villain has to have magical properties" thing. Talk about predictable and overused.

I love all the elements of disharmony that you listed. I know my sister and I went through the mane six and gave them each elements of disharmony. But none of them came even close to what you came up with. Applause for coming up with some really unique ones! I can't wait to see you maneuver the characters, elements, and the non-villainy through your story.

6172328 6172322
I honestly am only shooting for 25,000 words currently because I am kind of out of practice with my writing. But if I hit my mark earlier than expected, I think I'll bump my word count goal up to 50,000 words. I'm not just including fimfics for my word count but also some articles and personal testimonies that I have been meaning to write.

I’m glad you like him! Dr. Diabolical is a likeable pony. It’s not that he can’t make up his mind on being good or evil, he’s a pony who’s good at heart but is trying to be a great villain. It results in some pretty interesting ideas of how to takeover the world. I do have a thing for earth ponies especially when it comes to being the underdog. That’s probably why my oc is a robot earth pony with cardboard as armor.

When it came to the elements of disharmony I had to figure out how their powers would work. Then it hit me. If the elements of harmony work through friendship and being together, then why not have the elements of disharmony work through separation. My favorite characters of the elements of disharmony have to be Brandy the element of deception and Harrier the element of cruelty. Their more developed than the others so far and I really like their backstories. Brandy comes from a large family who runs a business but unlike Applejacks family who run an honest business in producing and selling apples, Brandy’s family called the Moonshine family are a criminal syndicate based out of manehattahn who produce and sell illegal products. They’re heavily inspired by mobsters of the 1920s and 30s. Harrier grew up being harrased and bullied much like Fluttershy but he had no one who’d protect him or had a friend. This eventually made him colder and just a cruel as his tormentors. He has a very bad boy like personality. Again I’m still developing on the others but these two feel the more developed.

I'm glad to hear that Dr. Diabolical is an earth pony and not a unicorn. I often feel that unicorn antagonists/villains are overused in this fandom, both as canon and non-canon.

Having the elements of disharmony work through separation is a great idea, one that I think could spark some interest in readers! Brandy and Harrier sound like some pretty well-developed characters. I can't wait to see how your other characters for that fic turn out!

I am lacking character development for my boy, Brazen, the stallion victimized by "vanishing twin syndrome". I'm having a hard time determining what I want his personality to be because he is a good pony at heart but he gets into some dark stuff due to lack of support from others. Any suggestions?

Tomorrow is the big day! Can't wait to get started!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11