SpongeBob Squarepants 41 members · 32 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Yay, I'd like to be honesty with you guys. This likely wasn't the best way to make my debut of reviewing installments of "SpongeBob SquarePants", but with the Christmas season being here, I couldn't get reviewing this episode out of my head.

So, today I'll be giving you all my review of "It's a SpongeBob Christmas".

Here's the summary of it:

The season of giving is upon Bikini Bottom, and the town's residents are bustling with excitement, especially SpongeBob.

However, in another attempt to acquire the secret Krabby Patty formula, Plankton bakes fruit cake that's filled with a powerful element called Jerktonium to make everyone into jerks, the intention being to make Santa think everyone else is naughty while Plankton's nice.

Can SpongeBob put a stop to Plankton's scheme before it's too late? Or will Plankton finally get the formula?

I remember enjoying this special as a child, really. As a matter of fact, I don't think I had any problems with it back then. Now that I'm older, though...I've found myself feeling more neutral towards it than anything else.

I get that Nickelodeon was trying to shake things up a bit by making this holiday special stop-motion animated instead of hand-drawn, and I admire their willingness to experiment. However, the change in style felt a lot more jarring than fun, and it seemed to be lacking the sense of accomplishment and passion that hand-drawn animated SpongeBob episodes often have.

The story by Luke Brookshier, Marc Ceccarelli, Derek Iversen, and Mr. Lawrence, and the direction by Brookshier, Ceccarelli, Alan Smart, Seamus Walsh, and Mark Caballero weren't the most impressive either. Among the biggest problems was that the team didn't create the most original or ambitious story of the series, as it had a certain sense that someone else already did this kind of story before. Much of the appeal that generated the series's pre-teen and older fanbase appeared to be missing too, and the comedy felt flat and uninspired more than funny.

The episode did have its positives, though, which definitely saved it from being completely terrible.

With the exception of Squidward (who seemed too heartless even for himself), the characters were as lovable and fun to hang with as ever. Especially SpongeBob himself, whose innocence and kindness was a heartwarming thing to see. The vocal performances were also excellent, with Tom Kenny and Carolyn Lawrence giving the best performances out of the regular cast members as SpongeBob and Sandy, and John Goodman being a welcoming addition to the show as the voice of Santa Claus.

The music and songs that were featured in this episode were quite melodious, if I may add. As a matter of fact, I couldn't help but have tons of fun with "Don't be a Jerk (It's Christmas)". I love how morally inspired the song was, and how much the lyrics perfectly fit one another in a funny and catchy way.

In the end, "It's a SpongeBob Christmas" will definitely please the youngest of audiences and SpongeBob fans, but for adults and older fans of the show...eh, I don't think so.

So, I rate "It's a SpongeBob Christmas" three out of five stars.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1