FIMFIC IronGuard 50 members · 4 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
Mystical Rainboom
Group Contributor

Are Republicans really anti contraception?

I'm hearing a lot of stuff about being pro life but not being against a starving child and also anti contraception. What do you say when people bring up this point?

I'm not in an argument, I'm just curios what is the traditional idea to that kind of stuff

Tathem_Relag
Group Contributor

They used to be. The Republican Party has drifted left in recent years on most social issues, so they aren't anymore. About a decade ago, the Republican idea was about the same as the fundamentalist Christian idea - that the only form of birth control should be abstinence, with condoms as a generally disliked second option. Now, condoms are basically universally accepted, as well as preventative birth control methods (though to a lesser extent). However, morning-after pills are still hotly contested. Whether they're accepted by the local Republicans or not largely depends on the number of fundamentalist Christians in that branch.

Mystical Rainboom
Group Contributor

5739071 So they're going bats about Republican history, but they say nothing about Democrat history.

(I know someone's gonna say that Democrat Slavery took place over ten years ago, but they've done some stupid shit in the recent four years themselves.)

Tathem_Relag
Group Contributor

Well, sort of. In places in the Deep South, where the Republican Party's membership is almost entirely Evangelical or fundamentalist Christians, the Republican platform hasn't really changed very much. However, that isn't the platform held by most of the leadership or most Republicans throughout the country. So in, say, Mississippi, many Republicans are still extremely anti-contraceptive, while in New York, the Republican platform is only slightly to the right of the Democratic platform in terms of social issues. Of course, since the Deep South is also the place where Republicans have the most traction and get the most candidates elected, it's an easy mistake to make.

Yeah, pretty much what Tathem said. The Republican Party is pretty much Democrat Lite anymore.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5