Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
NicLove
Group Admin

edit:

She's Asteria and she made the Deck BOOK of Many Things
PDF for The Book Of Many Things.

Dungeons and Dragons Introduces First Canonically Autistic Character

• Asteria, the first canonically autistic character in Dungeons and Dragons, is a powerful Paladin who defies fate and creates the Deck of Many Things.
  • The inclusion of an autistic character in The Book of Many Things is handled in a realistic and inclusive way, avoiding stereotypes and making it a natural part of Asteria's identity.
  • The physical edition of The Book of Many Things, featuring a copy of the Deck of Many Things, is delayed until November 14, but the digital version will be available on October 31 for readers interested in Asteria's story.

Asteria is the warrior-princess featured on the cover of The Book of Many Things, and is the woman responsible for creating the original Deck of Many Things. According to an interview Dungeons and Dragons shared with designer Makenzie De Armas, Asteria’s autism caused her to chafe against her father’s rigid expectations. Eventually, she befriended Euryale the medusa–both because of their kindred spirits and Asteria’s tendency to avoid eye contact. The unbreakable bond between the two, and Asteria’s defiance of fate, are major factors that eventually led to the creation of the Deck of Many Things.

EDIT: LOL !

“The editorial team made the final call to not include the language, and I think it was ultimately for the best because we're not autistic baiting, which is the thing I really wanted to avoid. I didn't want to be like, she's autistic and then nothing happens of it. Or we're hinting that she's autistic and it's subtly there, but plausible deniability. I was very pleased to know that, even if in the text it's not explicitly stated for reasons of avoiding roleplaying stereotypes, we're more than happy to still be like, no, she's autistic. We made her autistic.”

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1