United Gamer Ponies 48 members · 13 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Let's discuss games that you consider to be "hidden gems." This includes listing your own and asking about ones listed by others that catch your eye.

I like to separate games that are seriously flawed but still really fun, as unpolished gems. Also, there are those that have already become cult classics through word of mouth. (which is essentially the goal of topics like this)

Unpolished:
Dog's Life (PS2)
Seek and Destroy (PS2)
The Bouncer (PS2)
Choro Q (PS2)
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (PS1)
Gotcha Force (Gamecube)
Tron Evolution (Multi-Plat)
Mark Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure

Hidden:
Radiata Stories (PS2)
Steambot Chronicles (PS2)
Suikoden V (PS2)*
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (PS3)
Black Sigil (DS)
Rondo of Swords (DS)
Locke's Quest (DS)
Custom Robo (Gamecube)
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System (Multi-Plat)
Brutal Legends (Multi-Plat)
Starsky & Hutch (Multi-Plat)
X2: Wolverine's Revenge (Multi-Plat)

Cult Classics:
Ico (PS2 & 3)
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2 & 3)
Megaman Legends/ Megaman 64 (Multi-Plat)
Megaman Legends 2 (PS1 & PC)
Psychonauts (Multi-Plat)
Spec Ops: The Line (Multi-Plat)

*The franchise as a whole may not be hidden, but most of the fanbase refused to give it a chance after being disappointed by IV. It's a real shame because in my opinion, it's the best in the franchise. (yes, even better than 2)

Life is Strange is an awesome game. It's basically about a girl who discovers she has time travel powers. It's a tell-tale game with all sorts of adventure elements in it as well.

While Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. isn't the best game around, it still is an interesting game with a fluid (if unpolished) combat system. The difficulty curve and the niche genre turned off many potential would-be players however. As a result, it sold poorly on the 3DS. But, if you can get past the frustrating wait times (which were mitigated somewhat through an update) and the high difficulty, then it is a very enjoyable game.

4841358 I kind of assume that Life is strange would sell reasonably well being Tell-Tale and all. Then again, I thought the same thing about Luigi'd Mansion.

4841437 I've actually had the demo for a while but haven't been able to play through it because I still need to get the left shoulder button on my 3DS fixed. What little I've seen has definitely piqued my interest though.

4841358 4841437
What do the two of you think of the games I listed?

The only game I played in that list was Custom Robo. It is definitely an awesome game with a bit of an unusual plot. Though, I felt that more could have been done with the game story-wise after that ending.

Oh, and did you also forget Beyond Good & Evil on that list? That game was critically revered but sold so poorly that it came free with packaged cheese.

Oh, and did you also forget Beyond Good & Evil on that list?

:facehoof:I knew I was forgetting something in the Cult Classic section.

The only game I played in that list was Custom Robo.

Did you know that it was actually the fourth installment in the franchise. It was renamed for the west because it was the first to leave Japan.

Do any of the others pique your interest?

I do hear good things about the Mega Man Legends subfranchise. I'm guessing that The Blue Bomber was never popular in 3-D if that subfranchise sold poorly.

And I knew about that about the Custom Robo franchise.

I'm guessing that The Blue Bomber was never popular in 3-D if that subfranchise sold poorly.

That and the controls aren't very good. (there's a reason I listed the spinoff as an unpolished gem)

Meanwhile, X7 is legitimately terrible in every way and deserves its poor sales.

Anyways, have you ever heard of the studio known as Amusement Vision? They've developed Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 and F-Zero GX. Those three are some really good (and challenging) hidden gems.

Yes but they're not my cup of tea. I know other people that enjoy them though.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11