Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Plain Hunter
Group Admin

AKA:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

review

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!

So I’ve decided today that I would finally put my voice out there and make my complete thoughts about Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice go out there to be judged outside of me just rambling on like the rabid Batfan that I am. I decided this upon reading a review of said movie on this very site that was completely unfair. I’m not going to say who’s review it was, because I’m not that kind of guy. And I’d like to use this review to try to explain some of the complaints that this movie has, in what I think is happening. Anyways, without further ado I would like to begin this.

Now, I would like to begin this ‘review’ by saying that BvS has an AMAZING opening! What they do with the death of Bruce’s parents is amazing! It’s beautifully shot, and the way they use the pearls is incredible! The entire scene looked like it came right out of the comic books. Zack Snyder does not disappoint with the shots this movie has, as there are plenty of shots that, as previously stated, look like they came right out of the comic books themselves.

Henry Cavill as Superman is great in showing the Superman that worries about people who are terrified of him, the Superman that doesn’t want everyone to see him as a bad guy. He wants people to see that he truly is there to help. Now I’ve watched and read reviews by people who say ‘this isn’t Superman’, and also, ‘Superman would never care about stuff like that’, and I do get those points. (All-Star Superman being the best example of a Superman like that.) And I do in fact think that in Justice League we will see this Superman. Because at the end of this movie we hear Superman say 4 words that show we just might prove that. He says, ‘This is my world’. As in he doesn’t care if people are scared, he will do whatever it takes to protect anybody and everybody, and he will give a 110% effort in every fight he has. (Which means that Superman MIGHT have a mullet at the beginning of Justice League.) But for now, what he's doing is pretty good.

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman is pretty awesome. She isn’t in the movie for a very long time, and granted the reason she’s in the movie is pretty weak, but for the time she is there you can see she’s a powerful and wise Wonder Woman. She’s definitely an amazing fighter and is incredibly strong, and clearly is incredibly intelligent.

Ben Affleck as Batman is just... Oh man. This might be the BEST version of Batman we’ve seen in a LONG time! I’ve heard people complain on how Batman “kills” in this version. But then I see that most of those same people also like Michael Keaton’s version of Batman... Who murdered pretty much EVERY THUG HE WENT UP AGAINST! Especially in Batman Returns! So a live action Batman that kills isn’t something we’re just now seeing guys. Don’t act all surprised. (Didn’t Christian Bale’s Batman technically kill Two-Face in The Dark Knight? And a bunch of ninjas, and fake Ra’s Al Ghul, in Batman Begins) And the times when people say that he used a gun to kill in the desert scene, I have two words: Dream sequence. And no, I’m not forgetting the Batmobile chase scene or the warehouse scene. Now I just want us to take into consideration that this movie takes place after Batman went through a death of a Robin. So he’s bound to have eventually gone ‘FUCK IT’ to his rules and just decided upon no killing unless absolutely necessary. But that’s not me saying he hasn’t killed a couple people in this movie, no, he totally did that. And he also tried to kill Superman.

And now, for the moment of controversy. (Well... BIGGER controversy.) Jesse Eisenberg (Also known as Mark Zuckerberg on the internet because he was in that one movie from HOWEVER many years ago.) as Lex Luthor. I have to say... He did great in what he was supposed to be. We all know by now that this isn’t the Lex Luthor that we know, the smart and confident business man, the guy that we’re terrified of. No, instead we’re given a Lex Luthor that we just HATE. He’s like that one guy that I know we all know, the one guy that we know we can beat the hell out of, but we can’t because he’s rich or his parents are well known of something. Donald Trump. So he does a great job at playing the Lex Luthor that we’ve never seen, and was intended for this universe. Is it the Lex we’ve come to know for all these years? No. Is it going to please all the fans? No! (Come on, you’d be naive to assume that.) But does it work for what Lex Luthor they were trying to make? Yes! Yes it does! And then there’s the whole ‘what the heck was his plan?’ thing. And it does seem like something that someone would miss upon viewing once, but really I think it’s just as simple as Lex wanted to prove he’s right. And here's why I think that. (Taken from a previous blog of mine)

The cinematography in this movie is freaking incredible, I do have to say. There are some REALLY good shots in this movie and you’d be a fool to say otherwise! The very first scene of the movie, as said before, is breathtaking. The very first scene that introduces Batman is just PERFECT beyond measure. And the entire Knightmare sequence is just unbelievable!

The music that goes along with this movie is also incredible as well! Man of Steel and Batman v Superman have continued DC’s trend of amazing scores, thanks to Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL. The music is MUCH better than the Marvel movie’s own... Noise... For a lack of a better word. (I do NOT hate Marvel movies, so don’t start with that. It’s just their music is just not that good. It's just noise in the background.)

The action in the movie was amazing as well, especially the Batman action scenes, which show a Batman who fights just like how we imagine he'd fight. Fast, smooth, moving swiftly through the area and knocking people down with hard hits from his brass knuckled gloves. The best action scene has to be the Knightmare scene, which is just an amazing scene to watch. Wonder Woman and Superman also have amazing scenes of action, most notably during the final fight of the movie.

Now, the movie does have just a couple of issues, I'll say that. I'm not denying that. Such as Superman unable to hear his mother being kidnapped (Though I suppose that's because a scene Zack Snyder mentioned was deleted, but will probably be in the extended Blu Ray version.), or the fact that Lex was able to take control of the Kryptonian ship with Zod's fingerprints (Even though his body was right next to him so why didn't he just use that?)

So overall, I don't see why people hate this movie as much as they do. This movie's freaking awesome! It's amazing! Sure, it's got problems here and there, but then again so does every movie in existence. There's no such thing as a perfect movie. except for this movie But this movie isn't as bad as some people keep saying it is. I think it's just like the Watchmen situation. It just probably came out at the wrong time, and was bashed for it. Remember back in the early 2000s? Back when EVERY, and I mean EVERY superhero movie had to be dark, gritty, and full of characters who were brooding and questioning whether they were doing the right thing? Well that all ended with a little movie called Iron Man. After Iron Man came out it was the time when EVERYBODY convinced themselves that all superhero movies had to be lighthearted, family friendly, colorful and full of witty one liners right in the middle of battle. Now, you could point to Christopher Nolan's successful dark and brooding Dark Knight Trilogy as evidence to deny this, but let's just take a moment to remember that this is BATMAN. Remember the last time we tried to have a Batman that was SOMEWHAT like that? Batman and Robin and Batman Forever anyone? Yeah, they both were bombs. Now, you could point to the 60s Batman TV show with Adam West as evidence of a jokey Batman that was very successful, and that's true. It was a very successful show, and it was pretty entertaining. But then again, it DID come out in the 1960s guys. And Batman's entire reputation in the comics was completely destroyed because of that TV show, causing Batman to need saving in the form of Frank Miller's own The Dark Knight Returns. So, we can see that a jokey Batman isn't really something good for him. He needs to be a dark, serious, brooding character. But Batman was pretty much the only exception. And 2011 was the year in which people released the movie starting the DC Extended Universe known as Man of Steel. And as we all know, the movie was bashed HARD. People were complaining that the movie was 'too dark', that it 'wasn't who Superman was', that 'Superman doesn't save anybody in the movie' even! (Even though that last thing is COMPLETELY false! Superman saved people in the oil rig, he saved Lois several times, he saved people in Smallville, he saved the kids in the school bus and he saved the ENTIRE WORLD from Zod's army terraforming the Earth!) Meanwhile Marvel was getting praised for it's movies. And let me tell you one thing: Man of Steel isn't a bad movie! It isn't! It's not perfect, obviously. There are quite a few plot holes and such. But it's not a bad movie! It's a realistic telling of Superman's origin story, that just really makes sense for how Superman would really be raised in the real world, how they would react, etc. So I'm sure that people have just convinced themselves that Marvel's style of making superhero movies is superior to anything else that can be done. (Outside of Batman) So that's why I believe that Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is being bashed as much as they have been. Maybe you see it a different way, maybe not. Well anyways, that's what I think about Batman v Superman.

And this movie showed me the thing that I've always needed to see, but never realized I did: Superman saving Batman. No, I don't mean saving him like catching him from falling from the sky, killing Doomsday to save him and the rest of the world, or anything like that. I mean actually saving him. Batman in this movie was going down a dark path, a VERY dark path, and he was just getting worse. And he saved Batman by making him realize what he was doing, making him realize that he was becoming the one thing he had worked so hard to fight against for 20 years. And it was during the Martha scene, which I hate to see people bash, because it was an incredibly emotional scene that showed Batman that he was becoming something worse. He was becoming a criminal himself. Superman showed him that. And it tore Batman down. And so he's now on a redemption arc, where he's working to become the Batman that we all know, the one who doesn't use guns and doesn't kill.

My score for this movie is a 9.5/10. Or just a solid 10/10 if you're one of those who don't accept a decimal as something proper to judge movies. It's a fantastic movie, and I just can't get enough of it. And you can bet everything you have that I WILL be at the store in July when they release the Blu Ray versions of this movie so I can take it home and watch it as many times as I want.

This final segment is just me rambling on about my little personal connection to the movie and why it caused me to cry like a baby several times, you can skip this if you'd like. :)

So, I'm just going to admit that, yes, I did cry at times while watching this movie. I know, I know. "Sky! How could you cry during this movie?! You little cry baby bitch! Get out of my face with your cry baby attitude!" But I just have to say yes I did, during several scenes and I shall tell you why if you're still reading. Now, I've made it no secret that my favorite comic book ever is also my very FIRST comic book I ever owned: The Dark Knight Returns. And when I saw this movie was being made, I flipped! Why wouldn't I??? BATMAN and SUPERMAN coming together at last on the big screen! I loved Batman: The Animated Series, I loved the World's Finest animated movie, and Justice League and Justice League Unlimited remains two of my favorite TV shows of all time. So I couldn't wait for this to come out. But when I heard that they were using The Dark Knight Returns as a basis for inspiration on Batman's character, I was even more excited! I mean... it was my VERY FIRST COMIC EVER being used to help inspire how this universe's Batman would be! I mean... HOLY COW!!!! So I was excited! And I was even MORE excited when I saw Ben Affleck's suit! And then I was there... I was there watching the movie. And the first time I cried (It was more my eyes watering up tbh), was in the scene where Batman first showed up. That scene was perfect, and it felt like BATMAN. It was incredible! And when I saw him hanging on the wall I knew that this was the Batman that I've wanted to see my entire life! The next time would have to be during the Martha scene. Oh my God... Just OH my god!!! That scene was amazing! I couldn't hold all of the feels man!! I couldn't! There were just too many! And then the last time is... And i know VampDash is going to be like, "Wait... WHAT??????" when I say this, but the last time I cried was during Superman's funeral. This movie actually made me like Superman a LOT more than I had! I REALLY like Superman now! (He's not in my top 5 superheroes or anything, but he's top 10 now.) And when Superman was killed by Doomsday... I couldn't hold it in. It was just a very powerful scene, the music was amazing, and the respect that they gave to the funeral made it almost seem REAL. Like it could have been an ACTUAL funeral for ACTUAL Superman! That scene was just amazing! I could actually feel the pain Martha, Lois and Bruce felt during the scene! The scene was just amazing, and I really have to give credit to the entire team of people working on this movie (Except for David Goyer, fuck that guy) for how well of a job they did. For just how amazing that they made this movie. And for actually getting me to like Superman more than I like the Hulk.

Anyways, that was this blog. I hope I didn't waste your time. So what did you all think of Batman v Superman? (I'm just assuming you've all seen it, otherwise you wouldn't be reading this blog that clearly at the top says 'SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!') Tell me if you'd like. And I'll see you all soon.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1