The (Dead) Unofficial FAQ Group 48 members · 5 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I'm dividing the unofficial version of the official FAQ into four threads. This one covers the sections on Bookshelves, the User Page, Following, Blog Posts, and Comments. Misc stuff, basically.

The main FAQ was written by site admins. This version was updated by me and members of this group and is unofficial.

Bookshelves
How do I create a bookshelf?

Hover above the Library button and select "New Bookshelf". A menu will appear that allows you to choose an icon, icon color, name, and description for the bookshelf. You can also change its privacy settings between Private, Public, and Unlisted.

Other option are for whether you want to have the icon for the bookshelf show up on the quick add bar at the top of stories, if you want to know how many unread chapters there are in the bookshelf, if you want to see blogs for stories in the shelf, and if you want emails about updates on the stories.

There's also a 'New Bookshelf' button below the list of bookshelves to the right when you are on the page for any bookshelf.

How do I delete a bookshelf?

Go to your library page and click the trashcan next to the bookshelf's name. Alternatively, go to the bookshelf itself and press the delete button on the sidebar.

What's the difference between a Private bookshelf, Public, and Unlisted?

Private bookshelves can only be accessed by you, authors are not notified when their stories are added, and they aren't shown in your library when other people look at it. Public bookshelves can be accessed by anyone and authors are notified when their work is added. Unlisted are like Private ones, but you can share the links to them with other people.

How do I change the order of my bookshelves?

Go to any of your bookshelves. On the right, there's a list of all the bookshelves in your library. If you move your mouse over them, a bar with three dots will appear on the right. drag that, and the bookshelf will move to whatever position in the list you want, and that will be the order it will show in the bookshelf button bar at the top of stories as well.

How do I only look at the unread stories in a bookshelf?

Click the red text next to the number of stories telling you how many unread chapters you have.

How do I change the way a bookshelf is sorted?

Click on "Filter", over to the right, change the order, then hit search. You can also make certain tags, characters, and search terms required, just like with a normal search, and change the way they are shown with the dropdown next to Filter.

How do I see someone's public bookshelves?
Check the little Menu bar next to a user's name, and click the "Library" tab on it. This'll bring you to a page listing all of their public bookshelves!

It says there are unread chapters that aren't there, or shows more stories then are in there!

Bookshelves are still a new feature and may have glitches. Try editing the bookshelf, turning off tracking, saving, and then turning back on tracking. Also, adding or deleting a story may help. If that doesn't fix it, you might have to either live with it or move everything over to a new bookshelf and delete the old one.

Unfortunately, you can only move stories one by one between bookshelves, and there is a limit to how many stories you can add to bookshelves in a day, though it's pretty high, and you're only likely to hit it if you are working with a thousand or more stories at once. If you stop being able to add stories to bookshelves, just wait, and they should be working again within twenty-four hours.

User Page
How do I edit my user page?

Either click the 'Edit User Page' button from the user drop down menu or the 'Edit User Page' button at the top left of your actual user page.

How do I add modules to my user page?

After clicking edit user page, click on any of the buttons in the 'Available Modules' panel to add a module of that type to your page. By default they are added to the bottom left of the left hand column.

How do I move the modules on my page?

In the edit user page mode, drag the header of any module to move it to a new location. You can switch column by just dragging it between the columns. Make sure you click 'Save Module Layout' at the top when you're done.

How do I remove modules from my page?

In the edit user page mode, click the 'Delete Module' button below any module to remove it. Make sure you click 'Save Module Layout' at the top when you're done, otherwise the modules are not really deleted.

Following
How do I follow someone, and what will I see in my notifications if I do?

To follow a user, simply click the 'follow' button (the eye) on their user page (or on the pop-up that appears when hovering over their username). If you follow someone, you'll see new stories they publish and blog posts they make.

Blog Posts
How do I make a blog post?

To make a blog post, select the 'blog' option from your user drop-down menu in the main navigation bar, and click the 'add blog' button at the top of the page.

How do I tag a story in a blog post?

At the bottom of the blog creation page you can select one of your stories to tag in the blog post. If the story is not relevant to the blog post then it is considered spam and will be removed, possibly with punishment.

Comments
How do I reply to a comment?

You can reply to a comment by hovering over it and clicking the 'reply' button in the top right corner of the comment - it's the one that looks like two speech bubbles.

How does comment sorting work?

Comments can be ordered to show latest comments first or last.

What are the guidelines for comment posting?

The basic rule of thumb for comment posting is the same for behaviour across the site: don't be a dick.

That said, for more concrete guidelines; don't spam, don't advertise, try to be constructive and pleasant, and try to restrict yourself to commenting to when you have something worthwhile to say. Eg. 'First!' and 'I'll be reading this later' as well as similar comments are worthless, and we would ask that you avoid making them.

Keep in mind that particularly bad comments may be downvoted, and repeatedly downvoted/flagged comments may result in administrative action.

Also, while you can sign your name at the end of a post or comment, posting anything more in the way of a signature, especially pictures, is not allowed, and can get you in trouble.

When should I up/down-vote a comment?

The short answer? When you like a comment, upvote it. When you don't, downvote. For a more elaborate explanation of comment voting policy, please see knighty's already existing comment guidelines.

How do I report a comment from a terrible person?

You can go to a user’s page and use the report function to notify moderators. Be sure to include details and links to where the comment was made.

How does BBCode work?

For a full explanation of BBCode and its role on Fimfiction, please see this helpful guide put together by CosmicAfro.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

References:

This is where I'll post where any information I referred to in this faq came from that I remember.

The information about signatures came from Meeester.

--Sweetie Belle

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2