Galactic Exploration 16 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

One of Equis' highest achievements is the fact that we have managed to successfully make synthetic lifeforms. While legal rights for synths are still in the works for most countries (having only been officially passed in Neighpon, the main synth producer on the planet), most enjoy the same degree of freedom and quality of life as normal ponies

Synths are indistinguishable from normal ponies, save for their slightly higher endurance, strength, and mildly accelerated healing abilities.

Equis' immediate neighbor, Mars, has been creating synthetic organisms for much longer, but for some reason have been unable to advance as far into the field as equines.

An artificial and sexless race created by the "mastermind of Barsoom", Ras Thavas, the Hormads resemble Red Martians but are much larger and typically deformed. When Ras created the Hormad race, he also created a city on an isolated island in the Toonolian Marshes called Morbus to serve as a center for the race's cultural development. Most Hormads' names are simply numbers in the Martian language, like Teeaytan-ov (eleven hundred seven), with only their leaders giving themselves real names.

Hormads are nearly indestructible creatures (only fire being able to completely kill them apparently), and are grown in vats in massive numbers. They can have all of their limbs severed and even their heads and still survive, the science of Ras Thavas able to make them regenerate their limbs and even whole bodies. Sometimes they will fail to develop a whole body maybe only developing a foot instead. Almost all hormads are deformed in some way, body parts in wrong places, extra toes and thumbs. The severed limbs and bodies of hormads are recycled in the vats, and hormads that fail to develop into functional beings are also recycled.

Hormads, however, are very rare. At one point they attempted a small coup, turning against their creator and taking over Morbus, setting it up as their base of operations in an attempt to gain control of the more populated areas of Barsoom, and were more or less thoroughly quashed when Jonkar Tor, Emperor of the Red Martian city of Helium, organized his fleet and eradicated the majority of them in a firestorm.

Few of the synthetic beings survived, among them the first Hormad ever created, Pew Mogel, who, many years later, sought to take control of Helium for himself. Mogel is one of the only beings on Mars with scientific skills matching that of his creator, capable of transplanting limbs and organs, including the brain, as well as preserving and reviving the dead. He also invented the first known (and to this day, only) television screens and microphones on Barsoom.

As with his creator, he dabbled in the creation of synthetic life, creating a massive beast known as Joog. Joog was a four-armed synthetic giant, one hundred and thirty feet tall, with a hairy face and two rows of teeth. He was constructed from corpses of ten thousand red martians and white apes, and was unintelligent. Joog was used by Pew Mogel to attack Helium, with the Hormad controlling the beast from a seat in a specially constructed helmet on the giant's head, aided by an army of white apes with brains transplanted from Red Martian criminals.

Once again, however, the fleet of Helium proved more than a match for this menace. Joog was destroyed, and Pew Mogel was beheaded while still in his control seat.

Mogel's whereabouts are currently unknown, as his head was carried off by a subordinate, shrieking a final reminder to his foes:

Mock me all you wish! You’ll mock from the body of a crippled Ulsio, whilst I manufacture new diseases to make your carcass rot around you! I am the ruler of Korvas, master of life, shaper of flesh, the ultimate intelligence, the Emperor of All Barsoom! I am Pew Mogel! I am Ras Thavas’ Artificial Man! I’m the first and the greatest! I never die! I NEVER DIE!!!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1