Equestrian Scale Modelers Society 51 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Does anyone here have some advice about repairing your model steam trains? I recently bought an N Scale 4-8-4 J class Bachmann second hand for what I thought was a good price, only to find out the railing on the left side of the boiler has nearly come off. The main problem is the little anchors meant to hold the railing to the boiler had come out their ports. Any ideas for reattaching them?

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

4574768 the handrail knobs (to use their common term) should just push back in and stay there, if they don't, then get some Cyanoacrylate glue (Super glue) and dab the tiniest amount on the part that inserts into the boiler. use tweezers to push them in

but i must stress that you only need the tiniest amount, and be careful not to get it on you fingers or anywhere on your skin in general, it produces a bit of heat when drying. it used to be used by doctors to seal wounds, so it'll stick you fingers together in a second

4575073 Thanks. I've resinserted the knobs into their holes on the boiler. but they're just kind of hanging there. I'm a little nervous about glueing it as the model is so small, but I'll give this a try. Wish me luck.

Nova_Blast
Group Admin

4575095 try dabbing the glue on with a cocktail stick

Railroad Brony
Group Admin

4575095 a hobby shop should be able to help, too. And since it is a minor repair, it shouldn't cost anything.

Also, Bachmann N scale is to model trains like Tyco was to toys.
their main problem were the drive gears: plastic gears on plastic shafts. They are easily stripped. Kato is a much better brand.

4575374 Yeah, I'm starting to realize that. Most of my motive power at the moment is Bachmann, and just last week my 0-6-0 switcher started striping it's gears. I only have one Kato model, consequently my first N scale engine as well. GS-4 Daylightthat three years later still runs like a dream, even if the traction tires give me trouble from time to time.

Railroad Brony
Group Admin

4576287 Remember, you also need to lubricate the mechanisms from time to time. I usually do it whenever I purchase a used loco, and I also lube them every 100 hours of run time. So basically every 6 months. But these are HO locos, so I'm not sure about that method with N scale.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7