The Life of A Wanted Changeling Series! 83 members · 7 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Down with Chrysalis
Group Admin

Being sick sucks people, especially when you plan to write some stuff but instead have to wonder why your everything is trying to kill you.

Anyway, I won't rant about it since its over and done with. However I'm am obligated as the self proclaimed 'King of References' to make this joke considering the name of this chapters title:

I swear Phineas and Freb find a way to make a song out of anything.

But anyway, welcome back Hive Mind to another review of TLoaWC! Today's episode brings us some more background on Bugze's past, me trying to hard to push a joke, and misusing a comment!

Well that summery certainly paints me in a bad picture huh? Oh well, on to the review!

So the episode starts off where we left off last time (obviously) with Bugze struggling to say something elegant with Rarity staring at him expectedly and the other two staring at him suspiciously.

After stumbling over his own words for a few seconds Bugze decides to do the one thing promotional speakers tell you not to do yet you still do it cause it works half the time, winging it!

Personally I think so long as you have a outline in mind you can wing most of the in-between stuff when doing a presentation or something like that. It's worked for me most of my high school life so there has to me some merit to it, right?

Anyway, calling upon a British accent that sounds vaguely like Lok-I mean Tom Hiddleston, whose pony name I made Act for some reason I can't remember. Might have just been a mistake I looked over or something, cause seriously Act Hidlestion can't possibly be a pony name.

So yeah, Bugze puts on the charming moves and manages to get Rarity all flustered over his gentlemeness. With a classic hand kiss (er hoof kiss) he manages to send Rarity off into another one of her 'dream' stallion fantasies.

Ever notice that she does that a lot in the show? You'd think after Blueblood she'd learn not to get caught up in fantasy levels of expectations, but nope! Curse you writers and your constant need to degrade characters so you can have a episode!

Ahem, anyway Bugze looks over to the other two mares present in the library. He spots Twilight looking at her 'Guide to Sleepovers' book and can't help but be baffled that someone actually went out of their way to make a book about sleepovers since he always figured it'll come naturally when you have one.

Personally I think I missed a opportunity to make a running gag where there is literally a book for everything all made by the same guy. Just add it to the list of missed jokes I guess.

Looking over to Applejack he notices her glaring at him...as well as her trying not to barf. Bugze assumes that she either knows he's a changeling or she just really hates classy stuff.

Yeah...I don't know why I wrote this joke. Isn't really funny, and it just doesn't make sense that Bugze of all people could deduce that. I mean we know he isn't brainless, but he isn't smart either people.

But yeah as you can see so far this chapter has a lot of jokes centered in Bugze's thoughts...and a lot of them seem forced or out of character. This is a very obvious example of one of my weaknesses when it comes to comedy, if there's no back and forth my jokes tend to be bland.

What I mean is that my best comedy comes from conflict and a characters misery. If I'm not making light of a situation, poking fun at a character, or having at least two characters interacting together to create a comedic situation my comedy tends to fall flat. It's a pretty obvious weakness whenever you read parts of the series that didn't involve any comments and Bugze had no one to interact with.

Thankfully Selena made that scenario nearly impossible, so really this blandness only pops up here in season 1.

So yeah Bugze looks back at Rarity, bland joke of her fantasying, and then she calls him the Headless Horse. Bugze, being the loveable idiot he is, pulls his hood down to show he isn't the Headless Horse. This of course reveals his changeling self to the mares, and they go on the offensive.

*face palm*

Okay, I'm about to go on a bit of a rant here so bear with me.

When it comes to my earlier work I wasn't as experienced when it came to connecting plot points or keeping a coherent story going. This is shown via the plot threads that go no where and how some chapters never advance the plot.

However!...However that does not excuse my idiocy here. What idiocy you ask, well Twilight's, Rarity's, and Applejacks to Bugze.

He saved their lives a few weeks ago. They saw him, they know what he looks like without the hood. They heard his speech about protecting them, and how he took a beating from A DRAGON for them. So why in gods name did I HAVE THEM ATTACK HIM!

Seriously guys, it makes no sense from a story perspective. Sure it keeps the funnies going with a chase scene and more fights, but this is far before he was made public enemy number 1, and way before he went all Nightmare Cloak on the Ursa. So why are their first response to seeing him after he saved them is to attack him!

It makes no sense whatsoever! If this was after Bugze threatened the Princesses over Nightshade, or after the Trixie incident that sure fine this makes sense. But it doesn't so it makes no sense, no is it in character for any of the mares here!

If this was just Bugze jumping the gun and thinking the ponies were going to attack him for being a changeling despite saving them, then fine okay I'll let it slide. BUT again that is not the case, as Applejack clearly goes onto the offensive and prepares to charge at him and calls him varmint again!

And it's not like they can mistake him for another changeling, since Bugze is the only changeling with a orange mane!

IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE DANG IT!!!

*Sigh*

Look I'm just going to mark this as a plot hole and leave it at that. If someone wants to prove me wrong and say this does make sense then go ahead.

Also sorry about the rant, had to get it out of my system ya know? Anyway lets just wrap up this review before I find something else to send me ranting.

Bugze gets chased by them throughout the house for being a changeling, the tree from the episode falls through the roof during the chase and Bugze pushes Applejack out of the way to save her from injury,

Good: +1 Saving Applejack from falling tree

Then I do a different ending from the comment used by having Bugze teleport in on a meeting between Celestia, Cadence. Shining Armor, and Luna who looks pissed cause Nightmare Moon.

This episode was...decent. I use that word loosely as most of the jokes weren't good and the less said about the mare attacking Bugze the better. I'll just move onto the Title Segment now before I get into another rant.

Embarrassing Moment:

Looks like our buggy friend (you) are in one bad position huh. You guys better chose carefully about what you should do, just saying.

Subtly? I have never heard of this word, what is it?

Plot Hole Spotted:

The attack on Bugze after revealing himself

Seriously, this scene will just annoy me into a rant again. Look above again for reasons why.

Welp that's it for this review! Reply if you have any questions concerning this chap, for me in general, or to just tell me what you thought of this chapter as well! See ya all tomorrow with the next ep!

The Karma Counter:

Good: 12
Evil: 9

Plot Hole Count: 4

Rating: 5.5/10

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1