The Life of A Wanted Changeling Series! 83 members · 7 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Down with Chrysalis
Group Admin

THE BEGINNINGS OF A HERO ARC REVIEW: FINALE

And so the arc comes to a end with, thankfully, a high note. As its not only one of Bugze's high points in becoming a better bug, but also the beginning of future sub-plots and more! This episode also contains one of my favorite moments in this season, so extra points for that.

So yeah, this episode starts off with a ever good reference to the Lord of the Rings, with Smaug saying the ever iconic 'I am fire. I am death' line. Which of course scares Bugze enough to run out of there screaming his head off after using the ever funny 'look, a distraction' technique.

Fun Fact: it was this little thing that got me into the Lord of the Rings series. I tended to do research on all the jokes even back then so I'd know what I was referencing, and to make future jokes.

After running down the entire mountain (which shouldn't really be possible but okay) and finally stops after making back to the bottom. As he starts to pant, no doubt exhausted from the impossible retreat he just did, he can't help but wonder why he keeps calling that dragon Smaug.

Course he just chalks it up to it being because he watched the movie before the invasion, but in reality its cause we never got a name for him in the show and I figured 'ah screw it' and named him after the reference he gave.

And yet somehow that becomes his official name in this series, go figure.

Anyway after calming down enough, and after deeming the dragon as Smaug, he hears the girls screaming from atop the mountain. Bugze panics at this as he assumes its his fault that the girls are now being attacked since he pissed the dragon off. Of course we know its cause Twilights plans for diplomacy were thrown out the window cause of Rainbow's lack of patience.

Course this brings up the question if Smaug being awake before the ponies showed up could have affected things, but since I'm in no way that smart to figure or even consider that I'm just gonna ignore it and move on. Also no Evil point cause again, no idea how to classify this.

With guilt lingering within him Bugze teleports himself back up the mountain, but not before checking to make sure he still had The Inventory on him. However to his confusion there was a strange, midnight color glow coming from inside The Inventory. Bugze doesn't really care at that moment, deciding that the girls lives come first and that he can worry about the glowing bag later.

HehehehehHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh man I completely forgot that the glowing bag, or more specifically, what becomes of the glow was entirely my idea and not a comments! I'll get more into the origin of the glowing bag and what it becomes later when it actually happens, but for now I'll say that yes, fanfiction was the inspiration for it.

So with the bag at the back of his mind, Bugze teleports to the top of the mountain without any problems.

More evidence that his teleport only works when the plot demands it folks, anyone keeping score cause I have enough to keep track of as it is?

So yeah, Bugze teleports onto the scene behind Smaug as he stalks towards five of the mares. Wondering where Fluttershy is, he sees her hiding behind a rock. Thinking in deadpanned how that makes sense since she is afraid of everything...except mountain lions for some reason.

Hehehe...pre-friendship with Fluttershy is kinda funny with how oblivious Bugze is about her personality.

So...the moment we've all been waiting for has arrived. Bugze comes up with a plan to deal with Smaug, and as he begins to enact it the best song for this fight plays! What song, you ask? Well....

Hehehe....I love using this and when it makes sense. It's a badass theme and its one of my favorite video game themes. Not if only I used a little later so the moment I've mention being one of my favorites was a little more badass, but oh well.

Anyway...THE FIGHT BEGINS!

Bugze uses his RCV+'Look a Distraction' combo to focus Smaugs attention on him. And with the début of Bugze's 'No Shadow Kick' he manages to Smaug's right eye! This manages to stun the mighty dragon, so Bugze uses this opportunity to tell the girls to make a run for it.

Of course Bugze shifts his attention from his opponent for to long, and Smaug manages to attack. And it is a brutal one at that as Smaug savagely beats Bugze against the wall of the cave and the ground. This attack manages to break two of Bugze's legs, and severely crack his ribs and back.

Now we later learn that Bugze's attack on Smaug actually left him scared, so this savage beating can be attributed to the anger Smaug felt because of that.

Anyway, the fight comes to a end with Bugze being thrown to the ground and laying a broken mess. His transformation gives out, much to the surprise of the girls, and Smaug makes his way towards them.

And thus Hive Mind, this leads us to one of my personal favorite 'Bugze is a badass' moments.

Despite the pain Bugze is in he forces himself to stand and gets Smaug's attention once again. He then gives a heroic speech about how Smaug can do whatever he wants to him, but he wouldn't allow him to harm the ponies he swore to princess Luna to protect.

Then with a badass one-liner he activates the RCV and 'FUS RO DAHS' the dragon like a total badass!

This whole scene is just pure badassery! Seriously I love scenes like this in comics and movies, where even when the hero is down and beaten, he still gets up to keep fighting for what he believes is right! Sometimes he wins, others he just gets pushed down again, but all in all it tends to be badass!

Seriously guys I cannont go into words just how badass this scene is, just reread for yourselves its awesome!

Ahem...anyway sadly Smaug gets the last laugh as while he's blown back his tail knocks Bugze off the mountain. This, in the eyes of the ponies at least, is sorta a sacrifice to save them. Or at least buy them some time, so with that in mind...

Good: +6 Self-sacrifice to save Mane Six

As Bugze falls he begins to see his life flash before his eyes. After confirming that he did, indeed, suck at being a evil creature he gets a confusing memory he doesn't remember doing. Him playing with a younger version of his ex-queen. This no doubt confusions him since it makes no sense, but he has no time to think about it as he plummets, thankfully, into a nearby river. The last thing he sees before passing out is a black and white figure heading his way.

This episode is...AWESOME! It doesn't completely redeem this arc as the beginning of it and it followed the whole 'choose your path' format, but the ending of it was just pure badassery. And would you look at that, this episode didn't follow that format, I wonder if there's a connection.

But seriously guys this ending arc was awesome, and it foreshadowed a bunch of things. From our favorite filly to Bugze's connection to Chrysalis little hints are given, and it all starts here!

This episode was awesome, and a great way to end a otherwise terrible arc!

Now, onto the Title Segment!

Favorite Moment:

The entire ending

Look at my gushing above for reasons why.

Embarrassing Moment:

Now heres a hint as to who your rescuer is, She speaks in rhyme all the time, and she rocks a mow hock real nice. Also I suck when it comes to rhyming, so be careful as to how badly you want to see this person rhyme.

Once again I suck at giving hints...as well as failing to rhyme in general if that 'hint' was meant to rhyme. Seriously past me, what were you thinking...

Comment I Found Funny:

Soooooooooooooooo...... does this mean Chrysy is gonna be good in the future?:rainbowderp:

Welp that's it for this review! Reply if you have any questions concerning this chap, for me in general, or to just tell me what you thought of this chapter as well! See ya all tomorrow with the next ep!

Real quick: The Arc in General Review will be published later due to family...again. This weeks been a busy one folks, what can ya do?

Bugze's Skills:

'Royal Canterlot Voice (RCV)' Learned: Episode 6

'Forcefield' Learned: Episode 6

'Teleport' Learned: Episode 6

'No Shadow Kick' Learned: Episode 23

'Free Running Skill' Relearned: Episode 23

'FUS RO DAH' Adapted from Previous Skill (RCV): Episode 26

The Karma Counter:

Good: 8
Evil: 6

Plot Hole Count: 2

Rating: 7.5/10