The Life of A Wanted Changeling Series! 83 members · 7 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Down with Chrysalis
Group Admin

And so it begins Hive Mind. The very first arc of the entire series, which I have dubbed...

The Beginnings of a Hero

Catchy huh? I figure since this arc is one of Bugze's first major heroic action might as well name the arc that. Now if only this arc didn't suck so much...

Now don't get me wrong, the ending of this arc is pretty awesome and leads into everyone's favorite filly being introduced. But the way it was built up and handle just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Case in point, the chapter starts off with a 'choose your path' decision thing that was just really stupid. I mean I know a comment driven story is a 'choose your own adventure' thing, but giving three choices leaves little room for the commenters to do anything, and I did that for awhile during this arc.

And that's one of the main reasons this arc 'sucks,' cause the Hive Mind didn't have much say in it during some of the episodes and when they can add stuff its...well you'll see.

Anyway, I'll talk more about the arc in a 'Arc Summery' review posted the same day of the last chapter for this arc.

So yeah the Hive Mind decided to follow the path to Fluttershy's cottage. After rationalizing why the other two options are no good Bugze heads down the path towards Fluttershy's.

Of course halfway down there he realizes he's still looks like a changeling, so he decides to change into the Brony version of the Nostalgia Critic, the Firey Joker!

After doing that Bugze continues on his way...and into yet another cameo that went nowhere.

On his way to the cottage Bugze see's everybody's favorite sterotype bully character they use when Lighting Dust isn't usable, aka Gilda, flying away from Ponyville in tears.

This establishes that the canon timeline has just finished 'Griffon the Brush-off' and, considering what episode this arc is based on, that it happens a day before Dragonshy. This scene, while establishing a timeline, creates a problem.

The problem you ask? There's no reason for her to be here now. It creates a plot-hole with the continuity, is never expanded upon later in any of the seasons yet, and it seems like a generally pointless scene to have. Past me wasn't thinking this though obviously when he wrote this, and it shows.

But yeah after that whole debacle Bugze tries to get her attention, but he sees Rainbow heading his way so he dives into a bush. He then decides to turn in for the day in said bush, and he falls asleep.

The next day he wakes up, complains about the sun being in his eyes, and he makes his way towards Fluttershy's cottage once again while noting the smog in the sky.

Once he gets there he arrives just in time to hide once again as Fluttershy leaves equipped with her protective armor sports gear. He has another realization that she was one of the ponies at the wedding (IN ALL CAPS), and hen he overhears the clearly terrified mare mentions the dragon, he makes a vow to help her out and the episode ends with him planning to take care of the dragon.

This episode marks the beginning a series of up and down episodes during this arc. Sadly this is one of the down ones and it shows. The chapter technically only uses two comments, and it doesn't develop much but the plot. It has pointless scenes that go nowhere, and it is generally boring in nature.

Needless to say, this was not the greatest episode out there.

No Title Segment due to some community service stuff happening and I can't work on this too much, sorry.

Welp that's it for this review! Reply if you have any questions concerning this chap, for me in general, or to just tell me what you thought of this chapter as well! See ya all tomorrow with the next ep!

Plot Hole Count: 2

Rating: 1.5/10

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1