The Redwall Abbey 20 members · 2 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
Wannabe Scholar
Group Admin

Like it says on the tin, what is/are your favorite(s) of the Redwall book series (this is actual, full books that are your favorite, not books with certain scenes or character you may like)? For me, it has been a long time since I've read most of the books and I haven't read the full series, but there are some that stick out to me.

One is The Legend of Luke. I remember the premise very well, with Martin trying to look for his father and listening to what happened. The tale of Luke is so memorable-from Luke's quest of revenge for his wife, being captured into a slave, and his last line ("A coward dies a thousand dies, but a warrior dies only once") has been stuck in my head since I first read it.

Another is, of course, Mossflower. By far, this was one of most fascinating books to read. The arrival of Martin the Warrior, the fall of Kotir, the journey to Salamandastron, and the founding of Redwall. Plus, it was nice to see a wildcat character (someone you'd think would be a bad guy) actually be a nice character and be related to a character would be in Redwall.

There are probably more, but these two will do for now. What are your favorite Redwall books and why do you like them so much? I'd be happy to hear what you have to say. Thanks.

-W.S.

5567089 The original Redwall hands down. Just how the world was introduced and the plot developed just worked. The villains and good guys were really well developed as well. I still think Cluny was the best of the Redwall villains... followed closely by Slagar.

Mossflower would be my second as it had the best character relations and two-perspective storytelling of the series. ALso had great adventure, battles, scary as shit moments, but fun moments as well.

I would follow that with Pearls of Lutra because it got really dark, and really awesome with the Monitor Lizards + Ublaz as the villain going up against characters such as Martin II, and Grath Longfetch.

Unfortunately, with my most favorite I'm going to have to state my least favorite to provide perspective. Which are: Taggerung, High Rhulain, Sable Quean.

Taggerung's main character Deyna was alright, but the fact that he turned out good when he was raised by villains was too unbelievable. Plus there was an ass pull at the end with Russano arriving to disperse that army... without a fight.

High Rhulain's main character was a bigger Mary Sue than Triss... nough said. It was also too much of a rehash of the Pearls of Lutra plotline.

Sable Quean felt... very reused. The villainness and the villain seemed scripted. It took place in the exact same location as the last chronological book, Doomwyte, and the main character, Bluckler, while interesting, had a really annoying as hell sidekick. The ultra focus on the dibbuns was also rather annoying as unlike in Mattimeo who did stuff... the dibbuns here were portrayed as too ... young and immature for the lack of a better word.

It's been a while since I've read them as well, but I think I've read the entire series. Going purely from the top of my head without checking the internet for recaps, I'm going to have to say that some of my favorite books from the series are...

Mossflower, that's practically a given. It introduced us to how Martin came to be known as the legend he is in the rest of the series. Also, who doesn't love Gonff?

The Legend of Luke. I enjoyed the format of this one, how Luke's story was told throughout the middle of the book in a flashback.

Pearls of Lutra, on account of being the first book in the series I read.

Outcast of Redwall, simply because that one poem about Veil being Evil and Vile has been stuck in my head ever since.

Rakkety Tam. I had fun reading about that rambunctious squirrel. I also remember it for having perhaps one of the most brutal villain deaths in the series: Decapitation via the sharpened edge of the hero's shield.

Salamandastron & The Long Patrol, for giving us more background about the badger mountain stronghold and the army of hares that defend it. Eulalia! :moustache:

Now is where I'm starting to get rusty, please forgive and/or correct any mistakes I make from here:

I enjoyed Mattimeo (at least I think it was Mattimeo?) for giving us some insight regarding St. Ninian's.

For the life of me, I can't remember the title, but I also enjoyed the book where one of the protagonists was crippled, and needed to cross a canyon, I think?

Oof, okay, so rustier than I thought I was. :twilightblush: I think I'll go ahead and stop here for now...

Wannabe Scholar
Group Admin

Huh, that is interesting. Never thought I'd see Pearls of Lutra on there (then again, I don't remember too much about it). And yeah, no surprise seeing Salamandastron and the Long Patrol-who doesn't love seeing badger lords and hares kick vermin tail! Redwall is no surprise, seeing how it started the thing (and was the first book I read), and Mattimeo is to be expected (but I honestly remember more of the cartoon). Rakkety Tam's was the furthest book I go up to, which I don't remember to be honest, but did that seriously happen to the villain? I know villain deaths can be brutal in Redwall, but yeesh!

Also, I wanted to put down Mariel of Redwall, since I remember the beginning with Mariel but I can only remember so much of the plot and of Dandin. There might be more I've forgotten (as I'm very, very rusty), but we'll see.

-W.S.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4