The Redwall Abbey 20 members · 2 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
Wannabe Scholar
Group Admin

Man, it has been such a long time! I really need to get back to this!

Anyway, hello one and all. This is just to ask the age-old question regarding the Redwall franchise: the books or the cartoon.

For those of you who don't know, three of the Redwall books series were adapted into cartoons by Nirvana in the early 2000s: Redwall (season 1), Mattimeo (season 2), and Martin the Warrior (season 3). When I read the books (and this is comparing the three books to their cartoon counterparts), I noticed there were some differences (some major than others) between them and the cartoon. The most obvious was the tuned down violence (I used "tuned down" loosely, as case in point with Asmodeus and Badrang's demises in the show) and lack of the use of 'hell,' as this was a Y7 cartoon.

While I am leaning towards books for its violence, lore, and the villains felt a little more threatening (cartoon Cluny was certainly a far cry his book counterpart), there are some moments I like about the cartoon as it was a visual medium that fully introduced me to Redwall. I loved seeing it to the point I wanted to wake up at 6:30 in the morning just to get up (and I was 6 then!).

What are your thoughts? Do you prefer the cartoon, or the books, or both? Please let me know. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

-W.S.

Regrettably, I haven't had a chance to watch the cartoon, so my answer will have to default to preferring the books just for that reason.

Wannabe Scholar
Group Admin

5564384 You can easily find it on Youtube. The videos might not be the best quality, but I think it's good enough (then again, that's just me, and I might have a few screws looser than normal).

-W.S.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3