Block Breakers 243 members · 75 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

So, just joined the group, and I can see that its goal is to help writers with writer's block get past it and think of a story.

But, the question remains...
I am currently suffering form writer's block on a story already being written. What do?

:applejackunsure:

PiercingSight
Group Admin

It really depends on what you're trying to do.
Are you out of ideas for how to continue? If so, check the creativity excercises.

The creativity excercises thread has a few things that might work. One thing is that you think of something that has nothing to do with your story, then add that.

Are you trying to connect dots? As in do you have an end point in mind? Or somewhere you want the story to end up but don't know how to get there from where the story is at now? The same principles apply, but you'll have to be more flexible with either your goals, or what you've already written, or both.

What that means is that if your characters can't reach your desired "destination" from the position they're in now, try to work backwards from the destination to see whetr they would have to start.

And remember to keep in mind the it needs to be both natural, but the result of some form of conflict.

So, rule #1 about overcoming writer's block: Never be so stringent on yourself, or your story that you are unable to be creative. Allow yourself to change things and break things until they work, even if it's hard, even if it takes a hundred tries. Just allow your creativity to run free, even if it means the result has nothing to do with your original idea.

So, yeah, that's my advice. :twilightsmile:

3861439 Outside: Thanks! :twilightsmile:

Inside: What is this, Arabic?

Errrggghhh I'm so dumb.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3