Freedom VS Harmony 598 members · 308 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

How are all you guys doing? Just wanted to ask you guys how are you liking the group and about the library. Offer suggestions like if we need more folders in the library or anything like that.

Besides Freedom vs Harmony Dark and Comedy folders I believe there should be a catagory for 'well meaning idiocy' or Shadenfreude. In fact, if idiocy is too harsh (and freude's a bit too much) we can use a word like 'beyond morality.' You know, just for truly exceptional works.

I mean well, and well meaning idiocy played for laughs would be both dark and comedic...

Still, I'm thinking of something like along the lines of Futtershy in the 'final solution' comic wherein she razes the Hooffeilds and McColts like the angel Gabriel razed Gomorrah. What I'm proposing is a section for villains who are more or less delusional about what they're doing, being obliviously bad. Something like Starlight Glimmer or... Disney's My little pony tales levels of evil wherein the villain still wins in spite of their stupidity (imagine if the babysitters club parody from robot chicken was how the ponies from the tales series obtained their clubhouse... or if it was a strategy to get the landlord's son some tail friends.)

What do you think?

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

Seems a little complicated man. Do you mean a story that has dark elements but is a parody or done in a way to be funny? That still counts as a type of comedy. Anyway welcome to the group and thank you for being the first to reply, what do you think of the changes to the main page?

I was thinking a list of failed morality tales or stories about cruel irony. Something along the lines of a Onceler/Lorax kind of story where the "how bad could it be?" is answered but the problem isn't resolved. Maybe God's not dead kind of stories where "I haven't proved my point, but the other guy totally lost, so who cares." Or one of those silly if not ironic situations where someone in opposition to intelligent design admits to believing there must have been an extra terrestrial designer who is anyone BUT God, even though this unknown intelligent deity would count as both a God after a fashion and an intelligent designer.

I mean something like Stories arguing Nightmare Rarity (or the Green eyed monster) would probably be an excellent God, but since she isn't an Alicorn (in harmony) it's not the same thing as 'Lacking Freedom' even if she was possessed. Furthermore, thinking that an otherwise (free) alicorn could do anything except finish someone else's (harmony) work and solve problems they created (freely) is a blasphemy.

I'm probably not explaining this well, but I mean a story that uses some kind of moral preening to explain an incongruity, hypocrisy, or the baddie being genuinely good, but not really. It wouldn't be dark exactly, even if the hypocrisy, irony, or heel faced turn would imply comedic elements... I feel this could be played completely straight (in a world of half naked technicolor ponies) but not necessarily dark.

You're avatar reminds me of the foal from the hocus pocus tribute... not sure what you're looking for since I'm not a web designer.

Ancient Scholar
Group Admin

That is really specific and confusing. How many stories like that even exist?

Anyway my avatar is the Ancient Scholar from Adventure Time, Card Wars.

That's what I mean, I'm proposing a wispy undefined section that is neither comedic or dark, although it would involve a harmony vs freedom issue (which is still fascinating or interesting naturally) remaining seriously humor deficient and nonsensical but not dark. Something 'Beyond Morality,' or Anarchist fictiony that demonstrates a well meaning but kind of stupid attitude of a struggle that ends with neither justice or peace regardless of which side you choose.

While I freely admit I haven't studied the art of darkness, or even glanced over the many sample kindle books on the subject, I feel that Dark or Comedy shouldn't be the only options available even if a story can be both things simultaneously. And, while I'm sure a third option could be abused, I sort of think there might possibly be other people who would like a more enlightening option when trying to capture lightning in a bottle.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7