The Canterlot Archives 109 members · 52 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
The Plebeian
Group Admin

“Wonderbolt” was a pleasant surprise.

Let’s start with what shows on the outside. In my experience, the title, “Wonderbolt” could have been used for anything from an author’s rendition of Rainbow’s aspirations to a shipfic between two or more members of the titular flying team. Luckily, this was a bout of Russian Roulette that did not expel the contents of my cranium. The description gave me a bit more of an idea as to what the story would actually be about. Although it struck me first as a bit melodramatic with the “if you even care” vibe, there is a lot more behind that description than a teenage hormonal imbalance, as it’s not only a lack of self-confidence that WovenWord is hinting at, but also an overarching apathy.

Having given the cover a good look, let’s move on to the part authors love to keep rethinking: the first line. “What is a Wonderbolt?” it asks us. Many define rhetorical questions as questions that should not be answered. That definition is incorrect. Rhetorical questions are asked because the author or speaker wants the reader to find the answer. Right away, WovenWord gives us a symbol to evaluate throughout the rest of the story, and reveals the first conflict of the piece, which is a question in character. Rainbow Dash goes on to ponder the role, and in the end comes up with a rather satisfying answer.

What makes this story successful is how the author has distilled it to a minimum, similar to poetry. Most readers would typically consider 3000 words a quick read, but WovenWord incorporates so much subtext and double-meaning that I spent quite a bit of time dissecting the text on a near word-by-word basis. Those who like finding more in a piece than the obvious and literal will have a great time with this story.

Although the story is set in an alternate universe, the characters’ alternate behaviors are well-explained as the story progresses. While the setting may have a lot to do with the themes and mood, WovenWord is sure not to dump information on his readers. It’s very clear he values the characters and purpose more than the setting, which is an important concept to keep in mind whenever an author approaches an alternate universe. Although it gives opportunity to show off some world-building, it’s important to keep things concise and spread out over the story; after all, that’s what most readers are there for.

It’s also rare to see present tense narration used effectively. While it may add suspense and a sense of immediacy to a piece, many authors either get confused trying to keep the tenses consistent, or rely too much on the present tense to actually develop the rest of the story. However, WovenWord’s present-tense narration and setting both contribute to the idea that the future is unknown and unwritten. This isn’t a story written after the fact, in some peacetime or resolution. It’s rendered in the storm, as a stream of thought.

“Wonderbolt” is a story of finding hope and love in a world of depression, apathy, and pain. Dreams have been shattered, lives ravaged by unforeseen disaster. Each day lived is merely a reiteration of the last, only harder. Does it sound like a metaphor for depression? Certainly. Still, somewhere in those lifeless sunsets, the fallen feathers, and the settling dust, WovenWord shows his readers that flickering light, the hope that leads the way out. The Wonderbolts are those who dare to keep standing up, showing that light for the world to see.

You may read the story here.

- The Plebeian

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1