Isaac Asimov in MLP 36 members · 19 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
Loucanscale
Group Contributor

I have just finished reading asimovs foundation series and am currently searching for his other works however allot of his books are either part of the story i just read or part way through a series i haven't started with no way of knowing where to start.

Is there any where on the web or otherwise to find clearly marked asimov books or somewhere that at least tells you what story is part of what universe and in what order you should read them?

NachoTheBrony
Group Admin

Which "Foundation series" did you read? The original trilogy (Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation) or the extended series (stating by those, then going to the two sequels (The Limits of the Foundation, Foundation and Earth) and finishing by the two prequels (Prelude to the Foundation, Forward the Foundation))? Well, the original trilogy doesn't exist in crossover with the Robot series, but the fourth book hints at remote history and fifth book hails back all the way to The Caves of Steel.

If you want a reading order, try first reading the original Foundation Trilogy, then reading all of the short story compilations about Robots (mainly "I, Robot", "Robot Dreams" and "Robot Visions"), then reading the Robot novel tetralogy (The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, The Robots of Dawn and Robots and Empire), then read "A Pebble in the Sky", then read the Foundation sequels, and finally read the Foundation prequels. And don't forget to, along the way, try to keep reading his short story compilations, searching for some almost hidden Robot and Foundation stories. And read "The End of Eternity" for an explanation of why our world isn't the same as the one in the Robot books, and "Nemesis" for an alternate way of humanity going to the stars.

By the way, all of the books I've mentioned are on the group's banner.
Gosh: I think I am an Asimov fanboy!

Loucanscale
Group Contributor

3233426 wow that's very... comprehensive i'll be honest i wasn't expecting an answer so soon nor for it to be so informative this is actually pretty helpful if you don't mind i think i'm going to copy paste this to a word document it will be useful when i go berate the staff at WHSmiths.

The asimov books I've already read are foundation, foundation and empire and second foundation as well as i robot which were all bloody good but i have a quick question but i don't want to spoil any one to the story do you mind if i PM you?

NachoTheBrony
Group Admin

The asimov books I've already read are foundation, foundation and empire and second foundation as well as i robot which were all bloody good but i have a quick question but i don't want to spoil any one to the story do you mind if i PM you?

If you want you can send me a private message, but I would rather prefer you to just post your question, and I would then put spoiler tags on my answer.

Loucanscale
Group Contributor

but my question contains said spoilers how do you black things out

NachoTheBrony
Group Admin

[ spoiler ] (your text here) [ /spoiler ]
Minus the spaces.

(and be sure to use the "preview" button before pressing "send")

Loucanscale
Group Contributor

3238800 You sir are a gent OK here's the spoiler so if anyone else is reading this and doesn't want to have the entire foundation series spoiled certainly don't read this.

(OK i know this may be a bit of a let down but i really wanted to know what you thought of the ending, when the mule altered the carefully laid out plan of harry seldon and the members of the second foundation were finally noticed and ousted through the use of the psychic noise generators that the foundation created. All was fine and well until asimov did the big reveal that the second foundation was in fact on trantor.)

(I know that they played a critical role in reestablishing the galactic empire but it just kind of annoyed me i guess that right at the end of the book it just essentially says oh by the way the foundation never won it was the second foundations plan all along.)

Don't get me wrong i thought it was a great book but that small detail stood out what do you think?

NachoTheBrony
Group Admin

I saw them both as cogs in Sheldon's plan: one being the engine pulling civilization from total collapse, the other being the steering wheel that keeps the engine from hitting pot holes and rocks. Without the Second, the First could have slid sideways and become just another independent province. Without the First, the Second is nothing but a powerless monastery.

Loucanscale
Group Contributor

3240386 huh... i guess i never thought of it that way.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9