Film Lovers 38 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Herrpface
Group Admin

...and yes, this group is still alive.

Anywho, I just got out of the theater for the recently released mystery-thriller "Prisoners", which stars Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal. The main character is Keller Dover (Jackman), a carpenter whose family celebrates thanksgiving with another family across the street. However, both of their youngest daughters disappear halfway into the visit, and no clues exist that can provide a trail, aside from a suspicious RV that was in the neighborhood at the time.

Detective Loki (Gyllenhaal) is the detective assigned to the case, but he is unable to retrieve any leads from the RV's owner, the pathetically naive Alex Jones (Paul Dano). When Alex is released from police custody due to lack of evidence, Dover's desperation and anguish begins to overcome his compassion and sanity, and he decides to take matters into his own hands to find his daughter...

By god, the acting. Never in the film is there a moment where the emotion or anguish any the characters are enduring isn't believable, especially from Hugh Jackman. His dark transformation is shocking, albeit believable. When he's screaming in fury, it feels as if you're right next to him.

...and that's the glue that holds the movie together. You're so dedicated to the film's mystery and story because the characters are, an obligation for any good film. The also ties in a lot of dark imagery, suspense, and very powerful moments that renders the entire ordeal pretty vivid.

One of my few complaints to the film is the timeline which it follows. Although the buildup is good, most of the action happens in the course of six days. Personally, I'd think the film would be much more believable if the disappearance lasted longer than that.

Plus, I never really understood the themes of mazes in the story, or entirely its connection between two characters.

But aside from, that, Prisoners is an intense, powerful, suspenseful, and impeccably acted mystery.

I give "Prisoners" 8.5 out of 10 twilights.

:twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightoops::facehoof:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1