Film Lovers 38 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Herrpface
Group Admin

From this point on, in an attempt to resuscitate what little life remains in this group, I vow to turn over a new leaf. Every movie that I see, I shall review.

In this case, it's the supernatural horror film "Unfriended."

Friggin' love minimal posters like that.

Anyways, the film follows an objective point of view similar to found-footage horror films, but instead is filmed in real time through the computer screen of the main character's (Blaire Lily) computer screen. We see the spottiness or lockups of the webcam feeds, and also hear the sound effects for online notifications or volume change (it's an Apple).

It starts off with Blaire watching a live leak video of another student, Laura Barnes, committing suicide after being cyberbullied over a viral video of her passed out at a party. Blaire soon enters a Skype chat with five other friends, which is interrupted when an anonymous user joys the chat, one who they're unable to kick out. With some investigation, it turns out that the account is none other than Laura Barns'.

As you can quickly guess, hijinks ensue.

But in all seriousness, I really like the viewpoint the movie follows. Unlike most other found-footage films, all of which somehow manage to film every single solitary scene of the action, the story and pacing here doesn't feel awkward or forced. Okay, there's probably one or two moments that aren't seamless, but the rest of the film is still pretty easy to swallow, filmed in one long, uncut and smooth shot. It also gets pretty creative with its imagery and the way that it's incorporated with media like Facebook, Youtube, Skype, Instagram, and iTunes, making for a familiar setting with a supernatural edge.

I also respect the movie for actually taking its time with some solid buildup; buildup that often does have clear delivery. There's a handful of some silent, slow scenes where it just lets the tension fill the air, the kind of moments that make you fidget in your seat about what's going to happen. On the other end are louder moments that do a good job at being unstable and panicky, particularly a moment where the friends enter a heated argument.

However, one nitpick I have is that the death scenes, although they differ, get somewhat repetitive in tone. I'll admit that the first two deaths actually did get to me, but as the film went on I felt it they got too generous in being explicit, delving into the usual slasher flare.

There's also moments where I wish the sound was completely diegetic. On a few occasions there's that usual "wooooooooooh" tone like that in the Paranormal Activity films when something is happening on screen with no sound. Moments like these I felt broke out of the tone of the objective viewpoint the film utilizes.

But for the most part, Unfriended does stand out as a unique, creative, and effective horror film. If you're one of I assume the many who saw Unfriended impending as the usual cheap, mundane found-footage fare, I can easily argue you'd be pleasantly surprised.

For Unfriended, I nominate 7.5 out of 10 applejacks.

:ajsmug::ajsmug::ajsmug::ajsmug::ajsmug::ajsmug::ajsmug::applejackconfused::ajbemused::ajbemused:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1