Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

hi guys, I know its been while, but I just started a story and made a story too, but I try to submit it, but it wont let me.

First: Holy crap. Someone with your grasp of the English language should be taking a remedial English course, not publishing anything.

Second: FAQs

-Lumino

5296285 I thank you for the help, but ouch for the comment. there just some things you shouldn't say.

5296377 You seem understandable to me... I suspect Lumino's patience was tested by the fact that he didn't want to read what you wrote, and not because of your English skills. Not everyone wants to read a crossover, especially with something they're not familiar with.

5299542 Thanks man, I got the story out now. Its the new story that came out last night called 'Battle Spirit: Pony Soul'.

5299583 :twilightsheepish: Yup, that's what I was looking at. Readable, but niche material.

5299585 I am still new at writing, but I am using this as experience so anything I can improve on?

5299586 Well, you already have the right spirit. I think the most helpful thing for you at this point would be to get a pre-reader, someone who's interested in what you write and willing to spend some time reading it and tell you if there's anything that doesn't make sense and correct simple mistakes. Of course, some stories are easier to get pre-readers for than others... My inadvisable epic is something I'd love a pre-reader for, but no one I've talked to is interested. If you know anyone else who likes Battle Spirit: Burning Soul, I'd recommend that you try to get them to pre-read your story, otherwise I recommend you just continue writing until someone does want to pre-read.

5299590 ok, thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it ^^.

I had no idea about his story. I was commenting on how he wrote his first post. Practice like you play. If you want me to treat you like a writer, then carry yourself like a writer.

His subsequent posts were better, so I suppose that message got through.

-Lumino

5300730 Well, that first one looks fine to me too, though I guess it may have been edited at this point (it does appear that you can simply edit posts willy-nilly). Unless you're allergic to some grammar-stretching redundancy you can read through the fact that a story was both started and made, and end up knowing that it's not getting submitted. More to the point, there's no well-enforced baseline on what's published on this site, the internet in general, or even lower end publishing houses. Telling someone they shouldn't publish because of imperfect language skill has become a bit of an artificial restriction. I'd rather read something by unlimited, with its minor grammar mistakes and charming naivete, than many of the mind-scarringly bad narratives thrust at me over the years, irrespective of grammar.

You have your reactions and I have mine. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. You can deny it if it makes you feel better, but every single one of us is judging someone else from the instant we are exposed to them. What they show to us becomes the basis for any and all assumptions we make about their views, ability, intelligence, dedication and countless other aspects.

I'm merely responding to what he showed.

-Lumino

5301669 Hah! I don't deny this, but I think that you're far too quick to judge. Certainly the content of any given writing can outweigh the packaging? Or perhaps you prefer to look at writing as a linear scale of linguistic correctness to prevent being subject to the merciless throes of deeper critique? In any case, it doesn't change the fact that you appeared to be essentially bullying someone with inferior but intelligible English skills out of publishing. I'm fairly sure that the solution to not being able to communicate well isn't not communicating at all.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13