Collegia Arcana 9 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 186 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 186
Stone Knight
Group Admin

Class begins in fifteen minutes! Please be in your seats to begin your studies by then! Today's lesson involves a sampling of some of the magical creatures you may encounter in your travels!

Time for another rousing lesson.

I've got my bacon-trousers ready. Let's do this.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Right then. Who can tell me the difference between a magical creature and a being which can do magic? That is to say, what is the difference between something like a phoenix, which is clearly magical, and a dragon?

The ability to consciously control how their magic manifests?

Dragons can control their magic. A phoenix has magical flames and a cycle of life death and rebirth which operate on basic instinct levels.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Not exactly. The difference is sentience. If a creature can consciously make the decision to use magic, then it is not a magical creature, it is a being capable of magic.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Got it in one.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Now, there are many different types of magical creatures. In fact, Professor Featherwand down the hall has an entire semester's worth of classes on them. So, we'll just be touching on them very lightly. Do either of you have any personal preference as to our first example? Anything you want to learn more about?

Let's learn about the big ones. The sphinx and the Faeries.

No preference here for a first example.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Well, let's start with the Fae then. Now, there are two kinds of Fae, the Greater and Lesser Fae. Simply put, the lesser Fae, or "fae", are mindless, creatures of instinct more than anything else. They can be cunning, but possess little in the way of demonstrable intelligence.

Each of the fae are in service to one of the Greater Fae, who do possess intelligence and the ability to make intelligent decisions. The relationship between them is symbiotic in nature. Fae do not suffer insults to their servants lightly, and it is best to tread carefully around known servants of Fae. In return, the Greater may draw power from its fae in order to boost its own magical abilities.

Once a certain, unspecified number of fae are under its command, the Fae becomes known to itself and its compatriots as a Fae Lord or Lady. These are divided into a myriad of courts, which can be grouped under the headings of Seelie, Unseelie, and Wyld.

Seelie courts hold domain over growth, heat, and light, whereas Unseelie hold the opposite. Wyld Fae are those who are not affiliated with either Court, but instead merely wish to promote a certain lack of rule and anarchy.

Can these Fae be reasoned with?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

To an extent. They don't really think like the rest of us. They enjoy games of chance and wordplay, and reward cleverness over brawn. Fae will gladly find ways to be vindictive and cruel to those they dislike.

So a chimera broodmother and her lesser chimera whelps would be Seelie? A Jabberwocky and it's bandersnach and jubjub would probably be Wyld Fae.

Given that information, how would one be able to tell they were dealing with anything associated with the Fae?

Sound like my kind of people. Ponies. Creatures?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

I've no idea what a Jabberwocky is, but that sounds about right.

Fae dislike enclosed spaces, and their magic cannot affect metal. Also, they are carnivores, without exception. Their fangs are very noticeable, even when they shift into another form through the use of illusions and such. It's their tell. Despite this, many are still the victims of Fae attacks, especially in the Everfree Forest.

You make it sound as though they are a "attack first, ask questions later" bunch.

I would actually think the opposite in most cases. The intelligent ones ask questions and then attack if you can't Lewis Carroll your way out.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Not necessarily. They, like any predator, prefer to be left to their own devices. And there are far easier prey than ponies to be found. But there are, inevitably, some fools who go "hunting" them for sport or as a way to gain prestige. And there are records of some who carry on quite cordial relations with some of the Fae. There are even rumors of half-fae children being left with their parents on dark nights. These are typically known as "foundlings".

I would think that as well if not for the fact that the lesser ones are somewhat mindless. Unless there is a hivemind, the intelligent one can't respond to ever interaction.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Yes. They tend to eat things like grubs and beetles.

Aside from the Everfree forest, where can you find these Fae? Along ley lines?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Yes, and at convergence sites. The Fae can be found in any secluded place, including deserts, mountains, and tundras. They truly do exist everywhere they can find food and magic.

What kind of favors do Fae grant to those that have somehow proven themselves? Is it like a safe passage in our lands thing or random minor magical boon?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

It really depends. I've heard about things like pieces of magical knowledge, safe passage, sexual favors, the armor left in their forests by prey, that sort of thing. Some magic I've heard of them using are things like the tree-tunnels, which allow for travel over great distances in a very short period of time.

Sounds like a party. Let's go meet the Fae!

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Anything else? I've never heard of a sphinx or a grim.

So what would be the proper etiquette for interacting with the Fae if one were to want to get boons like that?

Would you mind giving us a list of creatures that you have information on for us to pick those that best interest us?

I've only heard of the sphinx on one occasion, it was supposed to have existed somewhere in zebracian or Camel territory. Most say Grims don't exist. Most haven't been to Hollow Shades.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

General polite behavior. If you see one Fae, there's likely more close by, so that's just common sense. Show them respect, but don't appear weak. Fae love a wager, and enjoy new things, whether it be a story or a game or a piece of music that they've never heard. They seem to have a thing for artists of any description, though you may wish to be careful. Fae can be very powerful magic users even alone, so if they decide they want to keep you, you may not have a choice.

"Keep you"? I already don't like the sound of that at all.

From friend to pet...not a trade I think I would want to make...

Stone Knight
Group Admin

They always tire of their guests eventually, and their magic helps you keep your youth. But it may be centuries before they get bored. Recently, we had an influx of Solar Guards who were taken in the fighting around the Evening Rebellion. They were very surprised to find out that not only was the war over, but they had lost and were living in a state set up by Lady Everstar. They kept referring to her as "Twilight Sparkle" at their Court appearance.

Actually in that same vein, are there certain magical creatures associated with each of the courts?

That is, quite frankly, the most horrifying thing I've ever heard of ever.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Sure!

Let's see...
Phoenixes
Mimics
Sea Ponies (unconfirmed)
Manticore
Ogres
Cambiae
Djinn
Afrit
Kitsune
Salamander
Yeti

And that's a sampling. Any of those float your boat?

SEA PONIES ARE REAL! I SAW ONE ONCE! SEA PONIES AND GRIMS! I'M NOT CRAZY!

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Would you like to talk about Sea Ponies, then?

Salamanders and Afrits seem interesting.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Yes! Manticores are commonly associated with the Wyld, Alfen are often associated with the Seelie, and Vampires are Unseelie.

Other Wyld creatures include Erls, bark-beings, rot worms, and wisps.

Seelie creatures include Hum-wings, emberlings, and whiptailed watchers.

Unseelie include Timberwolves, Frost-creepers, and stoneteeth.

I was coming back from the zebra lands. A freak storm blew me overboard. I lost sight of the ship and then lost sight of the roiling surface of the ocean. I awoke later on the beaches just north of Baltimare. I saw her way out in the water, the most beautiful mare I had ever seen. Then, with a flick of her fishy tail, she disappeared beneath the waves.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

You've no idea how many times that same story has been told. The fact of the matter is, no real evidence has been collected, though not for lack of trying. Either they are just fish tales, or sea ponies do not want to be found.

The ship I was on was headed into Vanhoover. You tell me how I ended up on the opposite coast of Equestria.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Stranger things have happened. Ley lines have been known to open spontaneous portals before.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 186