Collegia Arcana 9 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 146 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 146
Stone Knight
Group Admin

STUDENTS. I HAVE RETURNED FROM A SOJOURN INTO MADNESS ITSELF, SO THAT I MAY FIND MY NOTES AND INSTRUCT YOU ONCE MORE. BE IN YOUR SEATS IN TEN MINUTES.

So the notes were located behind someone's couch?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

They were gone. I had to battle demons and monsters and my mother in law to get them back.

Huh. So which would you gladly face again?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

I'd take the demons, personally. I can deal with those.

I think you exaggerate. If you would have had to have battled your mother-in-law, you wouldn't be alive to tell us of the battle.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

It wasn't battle so much as sneaking into her house while she was asleep.

Hopefully you'll forgive me for asking but are those a specialty of yours?

Still. That was a recklessly dangerous endeavor.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

I can deal with them most effectively. But no, they were not my specialty.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

You're telling me.

Did you even have a healer with you?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

No, because every time I bring him along, he bucking pulls, and I can't tank with the healer down and the warlock out of mana.

I can't say I've ever experienced that feeling. Can't say I ever want to either.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

It's terrifying.

To be fair, the warlock is always out of mana. That's why you need a thief and monk instead. And a mage to innervate the healer.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Don't even start. Just don't.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Now, let's begin. Tonight we will focus on hazards faced by beginning spellcasters. Can anyone here tell me one of those three hazards?

Miscast spell through improper runes?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

You're very close, and a bit too specific. The first hazard, and by far the most common, is that of a runaway spell.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Many primary spells and incantations are run on willpower and emotion, and are closely supervised by the mentors of beginning students. Students can run into this scenario once they begin to get a feel for their newfound powers. Usually, runaway spells are a product of power being put into something either too complex or too unpredictable. Students encountering the unexpected or perplexing often let their emotions get the better of them, and for someone with little practice at controlling their thoughts that can be dangerous.

So the problem that mentalists have that I think you mentioned before, just with basic spells for everyone?

Is there any way of checking a student before they let their spell get out of hand?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Yes. Mentalists are very closely tied to powerful emotions, and many beginning students allow themselves to be influenced by fear, excitement, and so on. Emotion can be a very powerful force in magic, but it requires control from a trained mind. mentalists have difficulty with this precisely because the work so closely with emotions.

Not really.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

In order to diffuse this sort of situation, several courses of action may be taken. The first is for the student to regain control of their work. This is done by carefully and slowly bringing their emotional and mental center back, at which point the flow of magic may be regulated once more. Many students will choose to simply end the spell at this point. The next course of action is for an older, more experienced magic user to intervene. This can take the form of wresting control of the spell from their student, or simply using an inhibitor ring. The final and most dangerous scenario is the student no longer having the energy to maintain the spell, at which point the incantation or enchantment will simply cease.

Is it less of a problem on the logical side of the magical spectrum with mages and paladins?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

With time, yes. But every young spellcaster will inevitably lose control of a spell at least once.

What would happen if the student was forced into a period of unconsciousness?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

This is the most dangerous scenario because, as we know, magic involves the use of one’s essence to manifest. The reservoir of arcane energy many students possess can be depleted quickly if it isn’t regulated, and as magic is tied closely to the animating force that drives us all, it can be very easy for some of the life force to be drained from the student. Thankfully, many students in this situation will pass out long before they give up too much of their energy. The lack of mental direction or emotional response will force the spell to discorporate before lasting damage can be done. However, complete depletion of the magical reservoir will oftentimes result in an inexperienced magic user using their own life force, which can result in illness, brain damage, and accelerated aging.

How fatal is burning yourself out on a runaway spell?

Okay, so life-force casting is bad?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

It can be. Other times it can be looked at as a way to bolster your own magic. using too much, too fast, can be deadly.

I'm sorry but I seem to not be understanding this too well. So if a student were to lose consciousness, that would be a very bad thing during a runaway spell but then at the same time it's a good thing because they protect themselves from draining away too much of their own life? I mean in very simple terms, striking an individual who is lost to a runaway spell in the back of the head to cause unconsciousness would be fatal or save their life?

Or give them a concussion and possibly brain damage.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

If you lose consciousness during a spell, then your animating forces of emotion and mental control are gone. It cannot continue. So yes, clubbing someone over the head would save them. But there are several varieties of spells, especially in Battle Magic, which will force the user to remain conscious as a safety measure.

Thank you for clearing that up. Now why would a spell force you to stay conscious as a safety measure? Could you give an example?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Sure. Let's take a look at some of the Battle Magical sub-facets. Say you wanted to assault an opponent by opening a portal into the heart of an active volcano. However, it's a bit more than you can handle. Normally, you would be knocked out by the backlash, but there is a problem. Portal spells are notoriously unstable, and if you lost consciousness, the portal could then switch paths and lead somewhere else. So, you are forced to remain conscious, and spend a bit more magic than you were prepared for to close it.

I would give that caster an A+ for creativity and showmanship, but an F for practicality.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I had to funnel a thunderstorm through a magical barrier once. Not a good day.

And I'm guessing that this could take you into using your own life as the power source. Now I get that the portal could switch paths but since the spell uses your power, why doesn't it just close if you lose consciousness? Where would it draw its power from?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

It's a long discussion using mage-speak, which sounds like a cross between a physics lesson and a philosophy lesson. As near as I can tell, it takes energy from the Aether as well as yourself. If you fall unconscious, the spell will still be in effect because the Aether is still supplying its half of the energy. To switch off the portal, you need to make an actual effort to cut off your flow of magic, at which point the Aether will reciprocate.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Right. The next threat often faced by first time magic users is something we in the business refer to as "magical predators". Could either of you tell me what that is?

An entity that feeds off of excess magical power being used in a spell or something that gets in drains you of your magic if you don't a have a tight leash on your power?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Good. There are certain types of creatures that are not only attracted to magic, but actively feed on it. These can range from the relatively harmless, such as sprites, all the way up to the major Fae and their cousins the Mira.

Don't forget the Chimera. One head eats your magic, while the other eats your flesh. And the other other one just roars really loud.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

We actually classify that as a type of Fae, believe it or not.

I thought those were more like Faerie Dragons and greater Pixies?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 146