Collegia Arcana 9 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 114 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 114

I'm sensing a theme here of watch what you say around the boss. What happened to the nobles of the celestial empire and how was it divided into 24 tracts?

Maybe Pinkerton is a bit harsh of a term since they were those strikebreakers that (occasionally) killed workers for wanting eight hour days and enough pay to feed themselves and their wife and children. I can't think of other such para-military groups though.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Believe it or not, most migrated to the Evening Kingdom. Lady Everstar and Luna both promised to support them and give them more power if they assisted with the Rebellion. Those that remained loyal to the Empire stayed behind, but the vast majority emigrated to the EK. But without nobles, Celestia's infrastructure lacked administration and funding. So, she turned over control to her subjects, and replaced the nobles with a rotating roster of elected officials. The nobles still hold quite a bit of power, but they don't administrate anymore.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Think more Delta Force or ST6. Except they aren't military.

Would supporting a noble and their causes be considered an abuse of power then when considering ousting of an elected official?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Not necessarily. But they need to be elected, and they will be under intense scrutiny by the Princess during their tenure.

That's weird how Celestia's kingdom would become a monarchy with a representative legislature.
Did they go full on England with their version of the Magna Carta and everything?

And how long is the elected official's tenure?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

No, she did. And remember, she can very easily dismiss anyone she doesn't deem fit.

Stone Knight
Group Admin
Stone Knight
Group Admin

And the third court in our course is the Evening Court, also known as the Court of Miracles. Can anyone tell me why it is known as such?

Did Celestia try to draw the nobles back to the empire or did she just stand be as it happened?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Would you want the ones who sold you out to rebels in exchange for power helping to run your kingdom?

Until very recently the Queen did have the power to dismiss the Prime Minister and temporarily dissolve Parliament if asked by a minor party, but Celestia's authority is unrestricted then?

The mastery of magic displayed there is probably second to none, and with the Bellatorae's abilities things thought to exist only coming to reality make it seem like miracles are being performed.

So the Court of Miracles is more for magic and less for governance and law?

Not really, but being able to get some of the funding back that was taken with them and maybe then the considered traitors might persuade me to attempt such a thing. But I admit to not having the long view that the respective leaders possess.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Precisely.

Yes. Now, the Court of Evening is something much more approachable than either of the Courts in the Celestial Empire. It is divided into three sections.The Court of Miracles, which is where inventors and spellcasters gather in the hopes of recieving patronage from Lady Everstar herself or one of the Houses.

The second Court is the Popular Court, and it handles common appeals among guilds and such. Nearly every guild in the Evening Kingdom has a representative there, and if a grievance against them is brought to their attention, a Guildmeet will be formed and the concerns will be addressed. A report of each ruling is submitted to Lady Everstar, who review it to ensure that the rulings were just.

The third Court is the Evening Court itself, and it is for serious grievances involving the government or its representatives, including the companies it sponsors and the mercenaries it employs. Lady Everstar holds it five times a week.

Welcome to the world of Ravnica. The City of Guilds. Hashtag Magic the Gathering.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Welcome to the realm where science rules and the bit holds sway. The best and worst of us mashed together into a terrifying and exhilarating concoction that could cure all your ills or make you explode.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

It's a mad scientist's paradise. No, really. We employ a few of those.

Sounds like a wonderful place to live and explore, given that you've got something to share.

So here we have a corporatocracy. Who represents the Guildless?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Now, the thing that will set you apart in the Court is talent. Show you have intelligence, drive, and determination, and you'll go far. Being politically savvy doesn't hurt either. The Lady's decision to open the Court to the public both reduced the power of the nobles while allowing them everything they had fought for, and promoted massive growth and expansion on an industrial scale south of Starfall. The North is still held by the Everfree Forest and its denizens.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

The Populate. This group is an open and public forum in which grievances can be heard, and sends frequent and vocal representatives to the Evening Court. It's mob rule at its very best.

There's no regulation for this mob rule or is the concern not there for it?

The second Court is the Popular Court, and it handles common appeals among guilds and such. Nearly every guild in the Evening Kingdom has a representative there, and if a grievance against them is brought to their attention, a Guildmeet will be formed and the concerns will be addressed. A report of each ruling is submitted to Lady Everstar, who review it to ensure that the rulings were just.

I'm sure this is a much fairer and more intricate system than this brief description, and I'm sure Lady Everstar is as just as possible, but from what I can tell a lot of the song and dance here is guided by the guilds. Who represents the guildless?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

There's no way to organize it. It contains unions, snake oil salesmen, newspaper editors, drunkards, and really lost tourists. To name a few groups. I've been a few times, the only rule I've managed to discern is "no biting".

Unions, or gangs, which have a significant amount of power. Vice is a very big part of the economy here. Most gangs are fairly upright about it. No opium to foals, no robbing old nags, and rape puts you right out. It'll probably get your head beat in, as a matter of fact. Prostitution is legal so long as the premises is clean and the participants are both willing and healthy.

Vice is a big part of the economy in the Evening Kingdom as a whole or just Starfall? And if that's the case, what's the major economic force is Astropolis?

At least the Knaves are noble. And I'm sure there are some poor ponies with bizarre stories about how they may have helped write a legal bill while asking directions to the hotel.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

In general. Starfall isn't nearly as bad as Crescent City, which has real problems with corruption and very illegal things.

As for Astropolis, there are two kinds of ponies that go to that city. The first are those who find themselves truly lost. The second are escape risk prisoners from both the Celestial Empire and the Evening Kingdom. Thanks to Luna's magic, food grows in the penal farms directly outside of the walls, including corn, wheat, and vegetables. There is plenty of stone available, and the precious commodity there is wood for obvious reasons.

It is my personal belief that Cadance is a very evil mare (in a good way) because of that.

So growth of food and other plants is limited to only so many feet out from the city itself?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

A place I wouldn't mind spending some time in.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

As far as the magic needs to spread. It's remarkably effective, as well. Where could you possibly run, if you were to escape?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

No options, no resources, and no hope.

You say it goes out as far as the magic needs to spread, but if that were the case then why is wood the precious commodity and not something else? Wouldn't the magic be able to spread far enough to support a large enough forest?

Maybe moon soil doesn't really support oak, pine, and yew.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Ha.

It's not that she couldn't support it, it's that it presents a security risk. Ponies would flee to the woods and hide.

Still would leave those few in an interesting situation though.

So, how does the court in Astropolis work?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Luna's Court is a hard place. She rewards strength of the mind and body, and inside it is very difficult to see what is real and what is not. Mentalists can ground their magic there, so the psychic energies tend to accumulate, making others anxious and sometimes causing hallucinations. Those who choose to make their homes in Astropolis are free to come and go as they please from the city and Court, and many choose to vanish for years at a time before they come back.

Where does a pony go when they vanish from the one place that everypony goes when they vanish?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Out. Into the Lunar plains. Luna fashions an amulet for them, and they wander into the wastes for a while. The pendant keeps them from needing food or water.

I mean that if she really wanted to mess with you, she could make you fall in love with her for a few before reversing her spell. But she's a nice mare so she will doing in a joking manner.

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 114