Collegia Arcana 9 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 99 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 99
Stone Knight
Group Admin

There are no runes placed on the crystal, as that introduces potential flaws. Unlike wood, crystals have rigid structures, meaning that magic doesn't flow easily in them like wood does. The same thing that makes wood such a poor choice for evocation allows magic to be moved through it very easily.

The charging process is what determines the energy type. Again, we don't teach that in this class, because of how many students attempt it and end up hurting themselves.

*Slowly returns basketball sized crystal to backpack*

If you don't mind me taking a guess but going off what you said earlier and just now, would determining the energy put into the crystal involve a rune circle or other form of diagram?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Now, there are many different evocative sites, most of which have been mapped out by the same teams which study ley lines. Some of them have rather interesting properties, as well. Would any of you be interested in hearing about them?

So are these sites like mini ley lines?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

More like small convergences. There are hundreds, maybe even thousands. But they pale in comparison to the major convergences.

Are there naturally occurring fonts of magic in the world other than the ley lines?

These sites would then be considered the minor convergences you alluded to in the last class or are these sites below those in terms of power?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

I would guess yes. I wouldn't know how to explain them, though. Some things are beyond even science and magic to explain.

No, they are classified as minor convergences.

Do the minor convergences have as much of an impact on their immediate area as the major ones?

I refuse to believe that. Anything that exists can be observed, tested, and explained unless it is something that murders you for attempting to observe, test, and explain it.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

No, though they do manifest themselves in definitive ways. In addition to the effect a convergence has on the landscape, you can just feel it when you get near. Your hair stands on end and you get chills down your spine.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Then we are currently unable to explain why these areas behave the way they do. Not for lack of trying, though.

Could you explain more on how they manifest themselves?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

It differs based on the lines. For example, the Fairsprings are a collection of mountain springs near Fillydelphia that possess the ability to temporarily alleviate depression.

Do they all have really specific effects on people in their area?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Yes. You may be familiar with the population of Pegasi near Hollow Shades, and their unusual...mutation.

The terrifying ones that the Watchers have to keep out of the graveyard?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

I was referring to the local population of bat-winged Pegasi, though I am not sure how many remain in the area. Most chose to side with Luna during the Evening Rebellion and took positions in the Guard and Reserve. They are nocturnal, extremely fast, and carnivorous.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

They're not so bad, once you get to know them. Hilarious when drunk, too.

I wouldn't exactly say terrifying. More along the lines of different.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

And our last example of magic is retained magic, also known as latent magic. Retained magic is the magic inherent in artifacts such as talismans, amulets, and potions of varying descriptions. Though each is created through a mixture of invocative and evocative magic, these items are considered to be a separate source of magic for a reason.

Could anyone tell me why?

There are more than a few crazy things in that forest. Xenophobia keeps us alive.

After both invocative and evocative have been mixed together, the resulting combination takes on traits of both so it can't be classified as either?

Sometimes you have to keep and open mind.

And a sharp thing nearby but I'll standby open mind.

Artifacts are, as their name implies, entirely artificial. The magic that runs through them is part of a spell matrix of sorts that was designed. Potions are a conglomeration of chemical and alchemical compounds that have been found to have certain effects.

I believe I already gave my stance on handing gunpowder to ponies. And now about 250 years in the future, it's standardized. I don't suppose guards use guns now do they?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Bingo. The magic comes from a different place entirely. Evocative and invocative magic combined to create something entirely new.

You'd best believe they do.

If the new combined magic was further combined with a different type of evocative or invocative magic than what was put in would you get another new type of magic?

My Little Sci-Fi: Friendship is Magitech

Next time I'm home I'll be sure to tell mom and pop and the clan Watcher to let all the peculiarities and wild things go romping through the huge necromancer attraction that is, essentially, a highway to the afterlife.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

In what fashion would you combine them?

I would think attempting a controlled release of the magic inside of the first device to combine with a spell being cast would be the easiest way to combine them. Like the magic inside an amulet contained a spell to protect against cold and you took that release and combined it with say a heat spell or a growth spell. I would also think that you could take the previous example and perhaps use it to imbue a potion? Maybe that would give some interesting effects or reactions.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

It's certainly possible. Or it could explode.

Regardless, many of the famous artifacts currently in existence are a product of latent magic. Things like enchanted swords, or powerful amulets, or some of the things in the Court of Miracles.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

So, again no homework for tonight. Class resumes on Monday, midnight sharp. As we're coming to the close of the course, we'll be taking a quick break that day, and discussing the Four Courts and potential duties therein. Each has its own perks and responsibilities, so be sure to pay attention if you're considering employment with an Avatar!

Any further questions?

You're mentioning things like enchanted swords, staves, potions, while confirming that conventional weapons exist in Equestria. Part Three is going to very intriguing.

So the bat ponies aren't monsters or cannibals?

How many more classes do we have and what will happen after these classes end?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

And it has pirates!

Not cannibals, though they do eat meat. Personally I can't see the appeal. I tried some once on tour with some Gryphons. I've eaten some vile stuff, but their meat (I think they called it "beef") left me gagging.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

I think two or three more, and then your final. After that, you'll be sorted into your respective Schools.

Very. Intriguing. Obligatory war has changed.

Will the final be anything like the midterm?

Hmmmm. Perhaps we were wrong about these particular neighbors. And I hope it wasn't beef, because that is ground up bovine. There is one bovine family that we keep grounds for.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

More knowledge-based questions. But similar questions to your midterm will be found inside, yes.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Perhaps it was pork? Maybe. A red meat of some variety...ah! Venison! That was the one!

Venison is deer! AAAAHHHHHH! WHY ARE INTELLIGENT THINGS SO TASTY TO CARNIVORS!?

And missed by forty minutes.

Frickin' Australia being so far away from everywhere.

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 99