Collegia Arcana 9 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 148 )
  • Viewing 101 - 150 of 148

1354334 I would say all ponies, really. Good and bad can be found in anypony.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

They take what seems fair. Those who have more can afford more. All magic users should practice with compassion.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

One enforced with the Laws. If you lay claim to our titles and resources, you will be subject to our laws. You have power, and you must be able to use it for the good of all.

Ah. Now there is a lot more iron.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

In counterpoint to Vitrumes are their cousins, known as Fornaxes. Fornaxes (meaning forge-workers) study the magic of Enchantment, which involves imbuing mundane objects with magical energies. This is done through the creative application of runes and crystal components. This Discipline represents the combined work of several others, including the reagents of the Vitrumes and the rune work of some Masons. The processes used by Fornaxes are long and arduous, but the end result is almost always worth it.

It would be simple to say that Fornaxes resemble Masons, the only difference being that Fornaxes enchant objects, while Masons tend to work on larger, less complex things, but that would be an oversimplification. The fundamental processes are different, and so different results are achieved. With enough skill and ingenuity, each Discipline could mirror the other, but they would be much better off working towards their strengths.

Fornaxes do not just enchant swords or armor, though those certainly are popular. They can create brooms that clean on their own, homunculi that can dance or organize books or fix simple machines, and cloaks that can change color with a thought. They are limited only by their own imagination and their ability with runes and potions.

How nice of them. So would they be sort of like Mentalists but of a more physical sort?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Magekillers have a saying. "Mages destroy you from without. Mentalists will destroy you from within."

What I'm attempting to ask is would a Battle Mage require a strong will like a Mentalist to shape and form the impossible things they create?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

A Battle Mage requires three things. A strong reservoir of magic that they can drink deep from to manifest the impossible, a strong will to control what they have manifested, and a powerful imagination.

So would things like binding elementals or creating scrying instruments fall to these individuals?

Battlemages sound like really elite soldiers.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Binding Elementals is actually a completely different facet of Magecraft, leaning towards the Paladin side of things. But scrying insruments definitely fall under their purview, as well as most other divination tools.

So was magic really all this dangerous, even way back when?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

The Lady Everstar employs one hundred and one of them to guard her castle.

Why a hundred and one Battle Mages?

That sounds like a pretty elite, and likely hard-to-beat force. I hope nopony has the idea to try to attack.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Part of it has to do with the influence of Chaos on the land. It was a difficult time after the formation of the Evening Kingdom. Traditional Equestrian innovations like weather control became difficult, as did the taming of animals. New predators emerged from old lairs, and for a while there was terrible struggle. Harsh times called for harsh magic.

Part of it had to do with the Unbinding of Magic after the dissolution of the Elements. Breaking Magic stepped into the light once more, and it became much easier to move more Power since it was no longer suppressed by Celestia's restrictions.

Hm? You mean the Elements of Harmony?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Her standing claim is that one hundred of them could defeat a force of Celestia's best paladins that outnumbered them by four to one. Celestia responded by staging a contest and inviting her to bring one hundred and one. The last "one" was the Lady herself. She didn't lift a hoof, and her mages still beat them all soundly. Since then, she has maintained her hundred mages, and the Arcane Lucantur occurs once every four years in either Canterlot, Starfall, Astropolis, or Eros.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Yes. The Unbinding of the Elements had unfavorable consequences on Celestia's magic. She is no longer able to directly influence the minds of her subjects unless the individual in question permits it in good conscience at a certain age. This event places a mark, referred to as a Talent Mark, on their flank permanently. In the Zenith Era, I believe they were called "Cutie Marks". In the meantime, she can only send out a general aura of goodwill, peace, and harmony across her lands.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Which is why I hate mages.

Wait, ponies don't get Cutie Marks anymore?

Arcane Lucantur? Like the Olympics, but with magic?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Not in the Evening Kingdom, or Luna's holdings. In fact, showing a Mark there can have some very nasty results. Likewise for going bare in the Celestial Empire.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Yes. Though they tend to be more...gladiatorial.

Huh... Guess there's not a lot of inter-kingdom travel, then.

Hate them? You mean more like a friendly competition rival hate, right?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

It depends. Border towns don't care much one way or the other, but the further in you get, the worse the reactions are.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

In a way, yes. My Order had a couple of nasty confrontations with Mages in the past.

I hate to say it but that kinda makes them a bit cooler in my eyes and probably had Celestia raise the training of her paladins to prevent something like that from happening again.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

The Sunguard were a direct result of that bet.

So, we talk a lot about Battlemages, but do we get a detailed description of their abilities, history, training, and fields of study? or do we just leave it at "They're total badass awesomeguys."?

So everyone benefitted in a way: Lady Everstar got bragging rights and Paladins got better training to better protect those they swore to protect.

I knew it. Those blasted Cutie Marks. You know I read a Mare Do Well fic in which Celestia enforced a law that bound careers to Cutie Marks. Of course, it was circumvented by legal loopholes but still.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Bellatorae are the typical ideal of a master of arcane magics. They specialize in the mainfestation of that which would normally be considered "impossible" and the application of this in combat situations. Their powers include but are not limited to summoning creatures from other planes of existence, the animation of offensive golems, and transmogrification. Transformation is not in their purview, that belonging to other classes of Mages. By and large, Bellatorae are afforded great amounts of respect, and for good reason.

Bellatorae are possibly the most magically powerful spellcasters in existence in terms of raw strength and potential. A skilled master of Battle Magic can become a one-man regiment, able to fend off thirty or more regular soldiers with ease, and a true contest between Bellatorae is both wondrous and terrifying to behold.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

And she also got one favor, no questions asked, from the Radiant Noon herself.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

I did imply that they were important in my stories.

Has she ever called on this favor?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

To my knowledge, no.

I figured as much when Sweetie had to get something removed.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Right! Midterm is Friday. I will create the thread on it exactly at midnight on Friday, and you will have a day and a night to complete the questions and send them to me. Be warned, some of them may be a bit personal, but I promise we will try to keep them from being too invasive. Answers are required to each question, even if the answer is a reason as to why you are uncomfortable.

Homework is the same as it has been. Please select a Discipline that we have covered which resonates with you, and PM me you reason as to why.

Any further questions?

How many questions are gonna be on the midterm?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Well this has been a fun class.

Thank you for the class.

Time to study then.
*leaves the classroom*

• Viewing 101 - 150 of 148